Advice

Jun 9, 2009
To all Masters out there;

First of all I want to intro that I am just a 'small boy' thats need useful advice from all the Masters/Sifus out there. I just bought a Mitsubishi Lancer MX (CK2A) 3 months ago. The original engine which is 4G15 still running in tip top condition (based on the testing before buying and day to day driving after bought). What I have done so far was just send it to go for major service (after 100 000km) which basically replacing all those oils/fluids, timing belt and brake pads. At the same time, my ECU also was upgraded (using Unichip). 2 months after that I have changed to a set of 205/50/R16 new tyres. Previously it was 205/45/R16. The rest of the entire system remains in the original condition.

My intention is just to get the maximum power from my system for the purpose of day to day driving but sometimes I also can 'play' around with my toy. For the time being, I do not have any intention to upgrade/mod my engine to the other 4G series. Thus I need advice/recommendation on what the other possible things that can be done on my car. Appreciate if the advice can cover the entire system from engine to the body, including the suspension system.

bnr32

Aug 3, 2007
If you can bear the noise day-to-day then get a full exhaust system for slightly more power. Other than that, you can also change your air filter to a pod or a high-flow panel filter. Power wise, without changing your engine, you are basically left with little other modification choices imo.

Good brake pads will add to the driving experience, as will good tires. I don't understand the change in your tyre profile though, any particular reason for that?

Finally, I guess you could add anti-roll bars, strut bars and change your coilovers for a better handling car. Anti-roll bars and strut bars wont detract from the comfort of the car, but imo you will only be able to feel the difference if you take corners semi-hard. Coilovers-wise, im not sure what brands make Lancer ones, but if you can get a set of Tein Super Streets for example, you'll get better handling in the twisties whilst still maintaining a reasonable comfort level.

Thats about as far as I would go for a genuine daily driver.

In terms of body-kits, you will have to wait for someone else to answer that for you sadly :P

Last edited:

ley

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2005
KL/M'CA
Agreed wth bnr32...juz to suggest sum mods for yur lancer:
-port and polish - cylinder head, intake and exhaust ports
-performance spark plug cable - NGK's power cable
-oil cooler kit
-bodykit - mirage asti / evo IV / custom it @ any bodykit shop

p/s: sum pics of yur car & engine bay will help a lot...Happy moddin' Lancer MX!

Last edited:

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
I got the same car same engine your having, if you dont plan to go againts turbo, or 1.8 DOHC or Vtec or mivecs, the ori 4G15 DOHC 16V is in fact more then enough to go up genting and even over take cars. But having 16" you will lose some pickup and top end speed but stability it's superb. Seriously I will honestly tell you dont waste time getting exhaust, 4-2-1, safc, motec, haltec or any chipping just keep your car in ori condition and perhaps drop in a K&N or HKS or any good air filtration system. Grounding, Voltage stabilizer you can try but no guaranteed bhp gains prolly just to stabilize your voltage if you have quite alot of gadgets in your car. Spark plug, cables, can fix in but again don't expect much. Not that exhaust system wont gain much but normally N/A unless your gettin branded stuff, best is leave it ori.

If your engine is in tip top condition best is to leave it alone seriously. For RM 7.5K U can get 1.8 GSR turbo for your car but it's auto for manual probraly add another 1-2k. If evo 4 - 6 is what you prefer then it's not really hard to find as well just price might be the issue. Don't waste time with those chips, cams, exhaust which claims to gain horse power and then in the end when you put your car for dyno only realise gain 5-10 bhp. :bawling:

Since you have a good base, just keep everything ori, bodykit u can try to get evo 4 - 6 but without the intercooler, 5 lugs, brembo, turbo or bov then prolly people will call you a wannabe. If your interested to face lift to newer Lancer MX I know where to get it. Evo bodykit I think around sunway there's alot offering fibre stuff if ori stuff I think price is not really cheap as I tried askin a few places and I got quoted for almost the price of gettin a halfcut. :smokin:

kampoon

1,000 RPM
Mar 4, 2006
dun forget to use a better set of spark plug ie.Nippon Denso
Better spark plug cable.
Good lubricant , Check radiotor fluid regulary
F Sync ATF, Install ATF coller if possible (< RM150)
Decat.....for sure can increase pick up ....

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
A little bit update on the mods just in case anyone wana convert their Lancer MX. I got quoted Full evo 4 front + back + doors + interior + rims for 15K. Price ok ar ? Den 1.8 GST CM5A Price 7K but triptonic, If manual add another 1-1.5k. Include rear GSR disc brake, Oil tank.

Currently anyone spot Evo 5 - 6.5 halfcut ? How much is it currently ? :adore:

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
dun forget to use a better set of spark plug ie.Nippon Denso
Better spark plug cable.
Good lubricant , Check radiotor fluid regulary
F Sync ATF, Install ATF coller if possible (< RM150)
Decat.....for sure can increase pick up ....
I would rather stick with NGK spark plugs heat range 8 or 9. Denso have lots of issues like burnt tip and tip falling into cylinder.

Ohh, btw HKS also uses NGKs and re-brand them as their own.

kampoon

1,000 RPM
Mar 4, 2006
Agreed, NGK ftw
OK.....next time i will try NGK......but my denso can use 50K KM ...ha ha ...maybe my car is too slow......

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

A little bit update on the mods just in case anyone wana convert their Lancer MX. I got quoted Full evo 4 front + back + doors + interior + rims for 15K. Price ok ar ? Den 1.8 GST CM5A Price 7K but triptonic, If manual add another 1-1.5k. Include rear GSR disc brake, Oil tank.

Salty...where u saw this CM5A ???? I wan to c also......

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
OK.....next time i will try NGK......but my denso can use 50K KM ...ha ha ...maybe my car is too slow......
Eddie, i was recommending for Evo engine (turbo) sparkies ... yours NA, then Denso more than enough ...

But 50K km is pushing it's performance abit too far laa ..... :rofl:

Last edited:

cikaro71

Known Member
Aug 13, 2008

hi, i'm driving mx converted also. lucky i bought it with already e5 bodykit, e6 spoiler and gsr 4g93t cm5a engine. btw, i found this - 'Evo 6 completed halfcut + brembo disc depan belakang + tank RM13.5K nego' from this site: http://www.gsrforum.net/forum/

just to share:proud:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My friends car is having some problem...
It is a Satria 1.5 Auto converted to manual...

The problem is rarely simple but then this foremans are doing nonsense...

The car is jerking when its on top speed...1,2,3,4,5..whenever it likes....
It feels like there is something blocking the car from moving when ur driving it...

Have checked with foremans, and also changed the IC Box of the Fuel Injection but its still the same...and now after consulting another foreman, he says the fuel pump is...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience