help !!! kancil L2S fuel consumption high!!!

carborg

Mar 27, 2008
any sifu can help me identify the problem pls? i recently convert my kancil to L2S manual with 125000km on odo. full tank of fuel only get me about 260km !!! i dun have a boost meter yet so i dunno boost how much, assume its stock boost. no modification done on the engine, just a k&N open pod air filter.

things i've done while converting the engine

1. changed engine oil motul 10w40
2. changed oil filter
3. changed timing belt
4. changed valve seal
5. changed water pump
6. changed fan belts
7. changed clutch assembly
8. changed MTF
9. changed brake fluid DOT 4
10. changed brake assembly
11.changed spark plug NGK ori.

bodykit is totally stock, mine is round eyes kancil. no hood scope. intercooler top mounted as stock. everything is stock. no aftermarket blow off valve.

why the fuel consumption is high? there is no jerking on engine, idle is stable, temperature is normal for the engine. i've raised the bonnet abit so that hot air can vent out. thats all. anyone can help me? izzit the ECU problem? can i reflash the ECU? do i need the ECU codes to do reflashing? pls help.. cause the fuel consumption is even worst than my ori 850cc carburator engine (340km per full tank)

p/s: i drive normally with occasional small boost.. my rpm never over 5k

minikar

Known Member
Jun 24, 2005
Cyberjaya
Normally a full tank can get around 320km in town area, if I boost every gear in town area.. 280km finish. Also, depend on your right foot and what exhaust you using...

Hard to say for town area, try in highway. At normal and behave speed 120km/h you will get near 400km one tankfull.

If I remember correctly L2 fuel tank is smaller than grasshopper's kancil

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
The prob should be using motul. Motul is for big mean machine, its not meant for tiny cars. Why not try Eneos 10w/30, i tried n its d best.

Bump: The prob should be using motul. Motul is for big mean machine, its not meant for tiny cars. Why not try Eneos 10w/30, i tried n its d best.

km_chew

Known Member
Aug 10, 2004
Penang
You may try the Perodua's semi synt oil 5w-30 (if not mistaken). That one is just nice and light.

minikar

Known Member
Jun 24, 2005
Cyberjaya
Last time I used Pennzoil 10w-40 quite good. I think 5w-30 also nice, juz abit noisy when engine at high temp. maybe

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
certain car suits 10w/30 some arent.
certain car suits 5w/30 some not.

My kenari engine live happily with 10w/30 whereas my friends viva suffer with it.
Instead my kenari fitted with 5w/30 do respond very well but not for long it loses it effects n get very noisy.

So for best result try every type n check which suit your engine best. For a turbo charged, i reckon 10w/30 would be fine... I tried motul 10w/30. cost a heck of it result so so only !

carborg

Mar 27, 2008
thanks for the info.. btw, my exhaust is still using kancil stock exhaust. try fitting blow off the FC is even worst. highway+town driving seldom boost only gets me 300km max.. cant reach 400km like u say and the speed is below 120km/h sometimes touch 120km/h. my other friends kancil L2S can get 400km+ with BOV summore.. izzit really because of the engine oil? really nothing wrong with the ECU?

Bump: thanks for the info.. btw, my exhaust is still using kancil stock exhaust. try fitting blow off the FC is even worst. highway+town driving seldom boost only gets me 300km max.. cant reach 400km like u say and the speed is below 120km/h sometimes touch 120km/h. my other friends kancil L2S can get 400km+ with BOV summore.. izzit really because of the engine oil? really nothing wrong with the ECU?

Bump: thanks for the info.. btw, my exhaust is still using kancil stock exhaust. try fitting blow off the FC is even worst. highway+town driving seldom boost only gets me 300km max.. cant reach 400km like u say and the speed is below 120km/h sometimes touch 120km/h. my other friends kancil L2S can get 400km+ with BOV summore.. izzit really because of the engine oil? really nothing wrong with the ECU?

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
It is 1 of the possibility, i think u should change to larger piping then you will know the result...

carborg

Mar 27, 2008
u mean 1 of the possibility is due to small diameter piping also will cause FC high?

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Maybe, cuz i just change to large diameter extractor n piping , fc remains at RM 50 @ 380 km and power increase alot.

carborg

Mar 27, 2008
u go for twin exhaust setup or a straight flow setup? i want to make my car as low profile as possible, thats why i keep the ori body of the kancil round eyes. if the paip can be not as loud as a roaring beast then im truly satisfied.. tried some 3M injection cleaner the other day and give me back a full tank with 320km... slightly better... btw bro lonelypig.. your a kancil turbo user too right? full tank of fuel can reach RM50? cause my full tank normally around RM40 for current petrol price.

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
u go for twin exhaust setup or a straight flow setup? i want to make my car as low profile as possible, thats why i keep the ori body of the kancil round eyes. if the paip can be not as loud as a roaring beast then im truly satisfied.. tried some 3M injection cleaner the other day and give me back a full tank with 320km... slightly better... btw bro lonelypig.. your a kancil turbo user too right? full tank of fuel can reach RM50? cause my full tank normally around RM40 for current petrol price.
I'm riding a p. Kenari. My full tank around RM 45 - 50. Currently my exhaust setup up is more on silent but strong sound type ( S type ). I did my exhaust at Hung Pang Racing Exhaust, in Temiang. If u wanted to upgrade your exhaust system, then u can go to this exhaust shop find a guy call "AH Mun" tell him u want something from the kenari studying at near by college 1. Then he in recommend u a centre bullet which is long n the middle got restrictive plates, very silent yet power with my car ....

minikar

Known Member
Jun 24, 2005
Cyberjaya
My L2 used to 320-350km in town and about 400km highway. [L2 petrol tank is smaller than ori Kancil tank] When petrol price rm2/litre still can can about 11sen/km at highway. Stock engine, slightly bigger than ori piping, one bullet and HotBit S-flow midbox, very low noise, still amazing pickup and top speed. Only rev cut, boost cut and speed cut removed :smokin:

L2 is a car of hundred of vacuum hoses, better change to silicone if your hose are old. The engine bay is hot like hell, normal s/part shop vacuum hose don't last.

Look out for PCV valve, maybe that the cause of high FC also.

carborg

Mar 27, 2008
My L2 FC is the same 320km ++ even in town driving or highway.. for the PCV valve.. it is oily in the hoses to the air intake, turbo intake housing and inside of intercooler. 1 of my friends say the turbo might getting wear and tear, izzit so? well.. will go and do the piping next month when i got the salary. last night i rev hard in highway clock 160-170km/h i think, cause no RSM meter, no boost meter in my car so i dunno.. just know that my speed meter needle go way over 140km/h. my friends oso say maybe my piston compression is not good ady.. that will oso lead to high FC.. izzit true?

minikar

Known Member
Jun 24, 2005
Cyberjaya
Highway and town drive same FC? If you are not driving on boost/ top speed all the way, I would say your car hv prob 4th or 5th. Power loss at top speed (turbo kick-in when cruising even only climbing low slope road?

Some indication of turbo turbine
- got oil in intercooler and air intake/filter
- smokey frm exhaust when turbo kick-in, if yes, hv 2 check wat colour is the smoke

Dunno, juz my 2 cents, other sifu can help maybe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Okay, this morning i wake up i just realise that my civic hatch, which is already 17 years old next year counted.
there is a small part of bubble( karat i think) starting to popped out, and i know that it will infect the others. so i call my mech la.. so he tell me, "to be honest la, i also told u already, if the body old liao, rust sure will appear.. den will got hole come out if more worst. if wan to fix leh, u grind it out, cover with wad... den wad... den spray... who knows, mayb half...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience