Typical timing for street cars at Sepang SIC

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
On a FWD car, having an LSD just means that you can put more power down without the front inside wheel spinning up. With the extra traction, the power can also be used to "pull" the car in line to the direction that you want to go. But as with everything else in life, too much power is not going to help you even if you have an LSD. You will still understeer.

With a FWD car ideally you want to be 'chucking' it into corners, get that rear around, and use the power transmitted through the front wheels to pull you in the direction you need to go.

If you've ever driven a RWD car in anger (or a go kart?), the quickest method is a 4-wheel drift (not drifting, that is different) where the steering wheel is almost straight but the car is going around the corner with the rear wheels doing the steering.

Similarly, you would want to achieve the same attitude with a FWD car. So getting the rear 'loose' on turn in, and then using the power smoothly and gently to then go around the turn, is the best way. No oversteer, no understeer. Just maximum cornering speed!

If you are understeering at T5 and T6, you really are simply being too rough with the throttle. Take it easy, find the balance point, and enjoy!!

/adian

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Nice write up adian and loh.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
What about turns T12 & T13?? Should turn 12 & 13 be taken almost similarly (like 5 and 6)?? I also use 4th for these corners. You also need to be gentle here, especially in 13 heading to 14 as you are braking in a corner (when you approach 14 for the back straight). If you're not careful there, you can also easily make the car spin... catching the car here i think is key...

Expert insight would be good. Adian bro... care to teach/give pointers ?? :biggrin:

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
what adian describes here is the car 'taking a set'..
that is the tyres adhering to the ground where the cornering forces on the front and the rear axle are equal.

in other words as you complete the initial braking and turning in process.. your car should take a set ...ideally your steering angle should remain unchanged up until you are ready to straighten up for the corner exit.. and your throttle should be maintained...no sudden jerks or adjustments..

for all you nerds out there its called 'steady state cornering'..

Bump: what adian describes here is the car 'taking a set'..
that is the tyres adhering to the ground where the cornering forces on the front and the rear axle are equal.

in other words as you complete the initial braking and turning in process.. your car should take a set ...ideally your steering angle should remain unchanged up until you are ready to straighten up for the corner exit.. and your throttle should be maintained...no sudden jerks or adjustments..

for all you nerds out there its called 'steady state cornering'..

adam

Known Member
Nov 17, 2007
adian, 18th is afternoon or evening trackday? can join again? but need your pointers that day.. can? :)

soulV

Known Member
Nov 24, 2008
On a FWD car, having an LSD just means that you can put more power down without the front inside wheel spinning up. With the extra traction, the power can also be used to "pull" the car in line to the direction that you want to go. But as with everything else in life, too much power is not going to help you even if you have an LSD. You will still understeer.

With a FWD car ideally you want to be 'chucking' it into corners, get that rear around, and use the power transmitted through the front wheels to pull you in the direction you need to go.

If you've ever driven a RWD car in anger (or a go kart?), the quickest method is a 4-wheel drift (not drifting, that is different) where the steering wheel is almost straight but the car is going around the corner with the rear wheels doing the steering.

Similarly, you would want to achieve the same attitude with a FWD car. So getting the rear 'loose' on turn in, and then using the power smoothly and gently to then go around the turn, is the best way. No oversteer, no understeer. Just maximum cornering speed!

If you are understeering at T5 and T6, you really are simply being too rough with the throttle. Take it easy, find the balance point, and enjoy!!

/adian
i've just installed a spoon 1.5 lsd on my EF civiic & now trying to understand the car new cornering behaviour....what i've noticed that it is like the other way round of my previous type r lsd...during corners the car will understeer when i lift up the throttle n vice versa..any tips guys in handling this type of lsd?:listen:

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
just to update street car lap times. Did a drive a month back in SIC

Weekday open Track day, at 2 pm, on a dry track, drove a 2007 Civic Type-R (FD2) , stock std with speedcut still in place, set a best time of 2'45.5.

:banghead: Car wasn't in the best of condition though, with dodgy gear linkage, causing up gear miss hifts into 2nd,3rd & 5th. And I was overdriving in certain sections :banghead:

Believe a 2 43 would have been posible in better condition car. Coz that's exactly wat my friend did in a another Stock std Civic Type R (FD2)

Timed using a demontweeks lap timer.

Bump:
i've just installed a spoon 1.5 lsd on my EF civiic & now trying to understand the car new cornering behaviour....what i've noticed that it is like the other way round of my previous type r lsd...during corners the car will understeer when i lift up the throttle n vice versa..any tips guys in handling this type of lsd?:listen:
Do as Adian suggested in the 2nd paragraph of his post. You need to throttle to keep the car pointed towards the apex.

Basically u need to commit to the turn and power out.

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
some may disagree on my views regarding LSDs... but i almost never install a 1.5way for my cars.. i say ALMOST...

1.5way lsds supposedly provide a 100% lock on throttle and 50% off throttle (i don't car what cusco and blah blah say... unless you are running a full spool.. they are only ideal figures for marketing!) lock at the wheels...

the problem is not when you're on the gas.. its when you're off the gas..
when you take your foot off the gas weight is transferred from your rear inside wheel onto your front outside wheel.. what this means is that your front outside tire is loaded more than the inside tire.. if your lsd is working.. it'll try to match the outside wheel speed to the inside wheel speed.. causing the tires to be overloaded.. hence the under steer...

the only situation that this is beneficial is when the car is on the limit of oversteer... by lifting off the throttle and letting physics do its job.. the front wheels will overload just as much as the rears and you get what the guys on TV call the four wheel drift.. utter rubbish again...
what you will get is an oversteering car that will very quicky become neutral... ie a controllable FWD car that oversteers.. perfect for the circuit...

however.. it'll have to be driven by a very skilled driver.. the main reason why i opt not to use them.

soulV

Known Member
Nov 24, 2008
from what cqloh wrote especially the last sentence....i'm in a big trouble now.:banghead:..heheh..

thanks for the explaination but i need to clarify 1 more thing..my car when tekann minyak the car will pull inside corner n lepas minyak time the car will go straight(understeer) but some times it reacts the opposite ways(lepas minyak then car msk corner& vice versa) problem meh my lsd? and which one is the true character of an lsd?:rolleyes:

many thanks in advance

Bump: from what cqloh wrote especially the last sentence....i'm in a big trouble now.:banghead:..heheh..

thanks for the explaination but i need to clarify 1 more thing..my car when tekann minyak the car will pull inside corner n lepas minyak time the car will go straight(understeer) but some times it reacts the opposite ways(lepas minyak then car msk corner& vice versa) problem meh my lsd? and which one is the true character of an lsd?:rolleyes:

many thanks in advance

Bump: from what cqloh wrote especially the last sentence....i'm in a big trouble now.:banghead:..heheh..

many thanks in advance

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
My 2 cents SoulV bro...

I think, the first one u mentioned (tekan minyak and feel a pull into the corner) is the 'lsd feel'...

The second one.... hmmm... i'm guessing that happens when ur overdriving it in certain situations. Like overcooking the throttle while in a fast corner will lead to understeer, irregardless u have lsd or not... so when this happens, lifting the throttle MAY bring it back in...

Dunno... sifu taiko can maybe help explain...

Bump: Owhh yeah.... another trick for understeer in a fwd car is left foot braking, while still maintaining throttle control.... i've tried it before with the desired results, but actually can't quite get the hang of it, as it requires a real steady left foot. Most of the time, i just mess it up... :biggrin:

Last edited:

soulV

Known Member
Nov 24, 2008
thanks minivan.....
i am still trying to understand the character here....i've done both the test in <100kmh in 45degree corner so dont think the car should understeer yet...as minivan explain..it should be tekan minyak = pull in & lepas minyak no grip or the other way?

sorry slow learner here.......thanks

Bump: thanks minivan.....
i am still trying to understand the character here....i've done both the test in <100kmh in 45degree corner so dont think the car should understeer yet...as minivan explain..it should be tekan minyak = pull in & lepas minyak no grip or the other way?

sorry slow learner here.......thanks

i am just afraid that i ve installed a problem lsd here..

Last edited:

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
SoulV... Being a 1.5way LSD, this is the expected reaction.

With LSDs, in essence the wheels will want to turn (golek) at the same speed, whether inside or outside wheel. When wheels at different corners turn at the same time, that means naturally, the car will want to go straight. Think about it before we go on... does that make sense to you?

When you are turning a corner, the inside wheel travels less distance than the outside wheel, yes? Draw two circles on a piece of paper, and measure the distance to travel around each circle. The other circle is a longer distance to go around than the inner one. That means the outer wheel travels faster than the inner wheel when your car takes a corner. So when both wheels are locked by an LSD (like a dead axle) they will want to turn at the same speed and hence want to go straight.

So, when you accelerate hard, the LSD engages and your car wants to drive straight, which is why you feel it understeers. WIth an LSD, you need to 'set' the car into the turn, and then gas it and hold on. But there is a balance point, where with just enough power (but not too much) the car will pull itself through the corner, very nicely. Too much power and you'll just understeer. In the wet, LSD FWD cars are a real handful! I used to have to fight the desire to floor the throttle through T5 and T6 in the wet when I used to race MSS many years ago, to make sure I dont under.

WIth the 1.5 way LSD, that means the LSD is working at 50% of it's torque/locking ratio on deceleration. That means that it's working even when you are braking or with your foot off the throttle. Which means that, you're going to have to pitch it in harder into a turn, and use the brakes very deliverately. Need more skill la basically. For beginners, 1way LSD is more appropriate.

/adian

soulV

Known Member
Nov 24, 2008
thanks adian...i think i got a better pciture now on how does it work...it does feel good when i'm aiming for the corner but when i just went for a breeze morning drive to work it feels more diffficult to handle...maybe i've made a wrong dec in inslalling this at the 1st place....hmm...just drove the car for 2days after 6mths of driving auto persona car...huhu...i've used to drive this car using standard lsd before for 9 yrs (went to bt3 trackdayfew times with no prep at all..haha..really suicide that time) but i do think i need to study more n really understand & feel the car now since i feel just got a P license ...

anymore tips & experience to share with this new trackies wannabe...:wavey:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Am looking for a good honest kancil mechanic who knows about turbo.

Anyone knows. Can sms me: 019-6677090.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience