May 19, 2005
Melbourne / KL
Anyone know how much to rebuild RX8,
i saw some rx8 is already 70km mileage, rebuild time, they selling cheap RM11X
so i wonder how much to rebuild one. or should get unreg low mileage

chad-mz

Jan 22, 2009
7k to 20k, depend on the worn.

either unreg or used car, u still need to worry abt that, because the mileage doesnt fix the overhaul schedule.

muikit88

Known Member
Aug 2, 2005
Malaysia
bro...my hometown here got 1 Rx-8...but how to different tat type s or another type...
sumore izzt rx8 is a single turbo engine izzt ?

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
Anyone know how much to rebuild RX8,
i saw some rx8 is already 70km mileage, rebuild time, they selling cheap RM11X
so i wonder how much to rebuild one. or should get unreg low mileage

Rebuild cost between Rm9k - Rm20k depending on number of parts replaced (Rm20k being almost complete engine).

Mileage is not the deciding factor. Ive come across 20k - 30k low-mileage Rx8 with blown engines and also 80k++ - 100k++ mileage cars still running on the ori engine.....

***Word of caution - Auto Rx8 engine tend to blow up prematurely. The ratio is out of 10 blown Rx8's, 8 will be the 4AT versions.......

woaychee

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
wow, those rm20k engine using aftermarket components? last time i asked was less than 10k, perhaps i heard wrongly.

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
muikit80: RX8 is NA

woaychee: is between 5K and 20K. If you are doing regular rebuild, its about 5K to break-down and replace seals. If during rebuild, found that there is damage to rotor or housings, then its damn expensive.

zealless

Known Member
May 19, 2005
Melbourne / KL
Rebuild cost between Rm9k - Rm20k depending on number of parts replaced (Rm20k being almost complete engine).

Mileage is not the deciding factor. Ive come across 20k - 30k low-mileage Rx8 with blown engines and also 80k++ - 100k++ mileage cars still running on the ori engine.....

***Word of caution - Auto Rx8 engine tend to blow up prematurely. The ratio is out of 10 blown Rx8's, 8 will be the 4AT versions.......
Hi, usually people rebuild around 70K + mileage right ? that factory recommendation ?
well, i am not getting AT version cause, my friend AT keep flooding in the early morning, but in OZ la, coz cold weather, he rebuild in OZ, around RM15K. Also auto gear box really sux, very not smooth and lag.

What is the best way to test the engine before purchase ? compression test or ? physically strip it ? I never maintain one before, but my friend in OZ have 7 and 8 ... 7 causing him alot of problem, especially in the cold weather. 8 is better, but parts are expensive. ..

just to confirm whether that is true.

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Zealless,

Rebuild anywhere from 70-80K MILES. That's 112 - 128K KM.

The weakest part of the RX8 'experience' is the gearbox. Just get an MT.

On testing the engine, please read the FAQ. Most important are compression test (which I dont know how to do) and the champagne test.

I dont know why an RX7 is giving trouble in cold climate which is its best environment unless the components are old and breaking down.

And to be honest, everything is expensive about cars. But in Oz, its more than 2x cheaper than in Malaysia due to purchasing power parity.

babyken

Known Member
Mar 13, 2009
how much it cost to replace better aftermarket apex seal for FD??
i forgot wat it call, 3mm apex seal?
and are there anyone here pnp the rotary engine, and where to pnp "rotary" in malaysia???
i'm wondering pnp output 3xx~400hp on stock tt will better than converting single turbo?
thanx.

babyken

Known Member
Mar 13, 2009
lol... racing apex seal.... how much is that? have to order from US?
i am not going to drag... haha
btw thanx...

zealless

Known Member
May 19, 2005
Melbourne / KL
Zealless,

Rebuild anywhere from 70-80K MILES. That's 112 - 128K KM.

The weakest part of the RX8 'experience' is the gearbox. Just get an MT.

On testing the engine, please read the FAQ. Most important are compression test (which I dont know how to do) and the champagne test.

I dont know why an RX7 is giving trouble in cold climate which is its best environment unless the components are old and breaking down.

And to be honest, everything is expensive about cars. But in Oz, its more than 2x cheaper than in Malaysia due to purchasing power parity.
the problem about cold weather is that it takes over 10mins to warm up the fd before drive. and because of that, the ecu tend to spray more fuel and set rpm higher, but this sometimes flood the engine. nope, FD in OZ is as expensiv as in here. and labour is 2x in malaysia.

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
zealless, that's odd. Will check out that particular thing but it does not sound right to me.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
At 310whp, one of the famous workshop at Sunway recommended rebuilt every 50k km. On 1 article, can self figure out.

Bump: ADD. I just ask Ah Choi last month about REW transplant on RX8. His answer is negative.

Bump: ADD. I just ask Ah Choi last month about REW transplant on RX8. His answer is negative.

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
csl: Ah Choy once mentioned that the 13B-REW has different mounting points, not compatible with the '8. However, if you really insist on installing one, its possible but to make an engine mount and frame... not something I'd recommend in MY.

Regarding that article, its not surprising to hear that the exit ports are not designed to take the increase exhaust heat/pressure. When the exhaust port expands and deforms under that heat, the apex seal is bound to be broken in a short time. Note that the 13B-MSP rotors and seal designs are different from previous 13Bs. Also note that the MSP engine runs at 10:1 compression ratio compared against a 9:1 for the REW.

Put it this way, no one in his right mind turbo-charges a V-TECH engine at 10:1 or 11:1 compression. If they want to do so, they would reduce the compression ratio using different pistons to 9 or below... or get a blown engine 200ft from the starting line.

Under the same rationale, if you want to turbo-charge a 13B-MSP, please lower the compression - change to 13B-REW rotors.

An interesting note regarding another thread recently - the reason the 2JZ (Supra) and RB (GTR) family of engines are so-called "bullet proof" is because of low compression and humongous surface area made of cast and forged iron. They are literally over-engineered on purpose.

If only Mazda built a cast and forged iron alloy MSP engine... with steel-molybdenum alloy housings like in the Nissan VQ and VR series of engines...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my toyota corolla seg 1.6(m) has been stolen at nzx, ara damansara last few days. i parked my car in front of a shop lots, it was parked facing towards the shop, and the thief even know how to shift in the reverse gear(blacktop 6 speed). damn i was so sad now. if u guys happen to c any white seg like my car, pls do inform me, thanks. my hp number:012-340 1819

model:toyota corolla 1.6(M)
year:1999
colour: pearl white
engine: blacktop 6 speed
interior:original seats. momo steering, momo...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience