mivec 1.8

ISWARA GT-R

Known Member
Jan 13, 2004
8th Miles 53100
IMO, for a beginner it is better to use normal 1.6 MIVEC as this 1.8 hydbrid sometimes causes a lot of hassles

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
wat kind hassle ? i been using 1.8 hybrid since from start ....no probs....its either your mechanic can fix it properly for u or not only as far as i see.....

Pace

Known Member
Jun 9, 2004
at what rpm does the mivec hybrid make it's power ?

6500 rpm or 7500rpm

delphinium

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by DDgreystar@Feb 21 2005, 12:26
wat kind hassle ? i been using 1.8 hybrid since from start ....no probs....its either your mechanic can fix it properly for u or not only as far as i see.....
agreed. My ride is oso a 1.8 Mivec : GSR block with Mivec head (non-turbo). No hassle except for normal tear and wear of your machine parts ie: fuel pump, timing belt, plug cable etc etc. Maintainance is just like any other NA car. Check your oil / radiator / hoses / battery / sensors regularly and you'll be riding a fantastic ride for years to come :)

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
Originally posted by Pace@Feb 21 2005, 14:23
at what rpm does the mivec hybrid make it's power ?

6500 rpm or 7500rpm
no no....not at those rpms too late liao...by the time your mivec opens, u already kena smoked by your opponents liao.....even a standard 4g93 can smoke u if your MIVEC opens too late, best range is around 5000 - 5800, mine is somewhere around this range....not exactly accurate but its around there.....

anyways.....mivec is not a turbo.....unless u do up your internals truthfully, otherwise pls avoid running against turbo cars :)
(albeit I have been running against some, on n off though :)

finally....my best bet is ....if u r owning a PROTON...but wouldnt wan t jon the league of WIRAlutions...well mivec is the way to go for it......if u like u can go for a full fledge 1.6 mivec ( just pluck n play from a 1.6 mivec halfcut ) otherwise for more serious power, go for the 1.8 hybrid, this rocks !!

delphinium

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I beg to differ hehehe.. i guess he wasn't asking about Mivec rpm engagement point.
I agree Mivec kicking at 5000-5800 wud be the best. dat 's where the little G start to come out hehe. The best feel (for me dat is) comes at 7500 just before the redline where I start to shift to the next gear.

finally....my best bet is ....if u r owning a PROTON...but wouldnt wan t jon the league of WIRAlutions...well mivec is the way to go for it......if u like u can go for a full fledge 1.6 mivec ( just pluck n play from a 1.6 mivec halfcut ) otherwise for more serious power, go for the 1.8 hybrid, this rocks !!
cudnt agree more with you bro! Rocks big time!

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by e f i n i-@Feb 20 2005, 16:19
i was wondering... can VAFC/ VAFC II control mivec? or jsut have to use SAFC?
I think you would have to change the car's ECU or use a piggy back ECU system to control the Mivec. Non-mivec ECU cannot support Mivec engine. Else you would only run with a Mivec Head for show only... hehehe....

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
Originally posted by delphinium@Feb 21 2005, 14:47
I beg to differ hehehe.. i guess he wasn't asking about Mivec rpm engagement point.
I agree Mivec kicking at 5000-5800 wud be the best. dat 's where the little G start to come out hehe. The best feel (for me dat is) comes at 7500 just before the redline where I start to shift to the next gear.

cudnt agree more with you bro! Rocks big time!
oh yes bro delphinum,

indeed.....but my best power starts rite from 6k rpm till it hits 8200 then slowly max out till 9000 rpm :) hehehehe ( some extra mod liao, so now got very good high end power n the range is long enuff ) :)

as for the ECU ? not really necessary to have full comp standalone, but of coz if you can afford 1, dat would be the best !!! You can even put in Cam kit later on and dat would really be the ULTIMATE machine then.

I m just having a normal MIVEC ECU, tweak with using fuel regulator n a better fuel pump...dats all....even using NORMAL mivec injectors though :)

it ALL depends on who your MECHANIC is :) hehehehehe

gspot

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
PJ
Waaa.. 9,000rpm ah? :o Wow!! My car 85000rpm like wanna meletup oledi laaa :(
So how to test car la? ;)

Anyway, the sweet spot can be tweak one if u can play with tuning like fueling and ignition timing. Even can do a "double Mivec" (5K rpm one time push..6K another push).. :P

Aiya.. reliability? It's a universal issue.. even stock engine can be a potato, other than that potato cms fella imself.. ;)

Seems everyone here agrees that there's no durability issue with the mutant engine proves one point. It's all up to how the "hand job" :lol: is done.

So when all my X-men can unite for yum cha ah? Or better still go happy hour or "common bath" ah? ;)

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
awaiting for your confirm TT date le spottie.......come n show the newbies wat a true 1.8 hybrid can do :) ehehehhehehe

ISWARA GT-R

Known Member
Jan 13, 2004
8th Miles 53100
Actually the reason behind it is not the engine is not functional. Just a matter that lots of workshops didn't dare to touch this hydbrid engine. Besides the topic starter is a newbie that doesn't really understand this engine well. I assume both of you did ur homework before getting this engine which is very essential before owning this hydbrid engine. From my point of view, the problem with this engine actually it cannot high rev as normal MIVEC can do. Since 4G93 is long stroke engine, it has tendency to have imbalance problem during high rev. It can be solve anyway. All u need is to doing cranshaft balancing before u can rev like mad as 4G92 MIVEC is designed for. We have to remember that n/a engines rely on high rpm to make it powerfull as it plays with the mass flow rate of air and fuel. BTW, I'm also interested with this hybrid. Thinking of building one GSR Turbo with MIVEC system engine one day. But have to finish my homework first and save some money first before start up the project.

drifterzzz

500 RPM
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
Originally posted by ISWARA GT-R@Feb 21 2005, 18:16
Actually the reason behind it is not the engine is not functional. Just a matter that lots of workshops didn't dare to touch this hydbrid engine. Besides the topic starter is a newbie that doesn't really understand this engine well. I assume both of you did ur homework before getting this engine which is very essential before owning this hydbrid engine. From my point of view, the problem with this engine actually it cannot high rev as normal MIVEC can do. Since 4G93 is long stroke engine, it has tendency to have imbalance problem during high rev. It can be solve anyway. All u need is to doing cranshaft balancing before u can rev like mad as 4G92 MIVEC is designed for. We have to remember that n/a engines rely on high rpm to make it powerfull as it plays with the mass flow rate of air and fuel. BTW, I'm also interested with this hybrid. Thinking of building one GSR Turbo with MIVEC system engine one day. But have to finish my homework first and save some money first before start up the project.
YEAH U R RIGHT I HAVE NO IDEA WITH THIS JUST ASK SRY :(

gspot

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
PJ
Star/drift,
Just give me a call in advance laa.. u know laa kinda busy nowadays. May have to shoot down to JB this Thurs or Fri. Star, anything for your mommy? :D

Iswara,
Bet u've forgotten that long stroke engines produces better torque comparatively. :) What more when it's a 1.8L. Sometimes its not about how high you can rev.. It's more of the delivery of torque and the bhp generated at all rpm ranges that's important. Let's say u can rev till 10K rpm but wats the useable torque? Imagine rev all the way to 10K rpm and the car hardly moves any faster.. :(

No hard feelings ya.. just my thought laa.. I am also thinking of furthering my gung-ho Malaysia Boleh spirit by dipping into Mivec Turbo or Supercharge. ;)

ISWARA GT-R

Known Member
Jan 13, 2004
8th Miles 53100
I'm agree with that
It's true that long stroker has big advantage on torque production. Just a matter that MIVEC is equipped with hi lift cams which usually produce torque at high rpm. For a engine equipped with normal cams, as you mentioned just now it won't produce torque at higher rpm. Besides for me it is not very wise for a beginner to start with this engine unless he has a good understanding about this engine since there's not much available information on this engine. For me it is wiser to start with 4G92 MIVEC and upgrade to this hybrid later on after gather enough information about it. No hard feelings just I don't want him to get into trouble because lack of informations which causes us cannot poison him anymore ;) ;) ;) :P :P :P

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Counting a blessing to be able to detail another rare

to be able to detail this rare Beast ///M

special patternted hood

Coming up
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience