Modifying the Viscous Fan

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
Had little trouble with my viscous fan since it has too much freeplay. Decided to replace it with new parts.

I was looking at the old viscouse fan and as we all know, unlike Toyota or other brand viscous fan where you could actually top up oil, or reconditioned it. Nissan one, we normally have to dump it away. I was thinking, if i bore a small hole to fit a screw and fill it up. Will this actually work? I notice that the front coil has a oil leak and perhaps i weld it down and lock the thing up so it will spin full time?

Will this work? Off course I will do the testing, but perhaps some opinions will be much appreciated.

JaHaX

1,500 RPM
Sep 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
faced with the same problem last time ... but managed to find oem replacement ... which cost me quite a lot

if u want, i can ask my mech to source one out for u

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
I've replaced mine with a new set. Yes it cost a bomb. But I was wondering to modify the old one so it will turn faster or perhaps locked it down using silicone as normally use on 4wd viscous fan.

JaHaX

1,500 RPM
Sep 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
i see ... it is best for ur question to be answered by tech guru mate, as for me, i dont really fancy tampering with the oem stuffs

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
Noise will be definitely be there. The other option of using thermo fan/ electric fan is that it may not be able to blow as good as using viscous fan. Unless using 8 blades 16' SPAL or 2 units of 12' fan.

The other problem is to custom made the shroud fan for electric or it wont work well. Must use pull fan and not push fan.

Advantage using electric fan is that the engine feels a bit 'lighter' and rev better. Downside, if constant high rpm, temp will increase.

K20AEK

Known Member
Sep 27, 2004
Last edited:

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
Speaking of fans, just wondering if anyone ever sourced just the blades for RB26, whether they are brand new from nissan, aftermerket or from chopshop?

S

semperfi

Speaking of fans, just wondering if anyone ever sourced just the blades for RB26, whether they are brand new from nissan, aftermerket or from chopshop?
I do! Aftermarket ones.. why? You're not talking about the ceiling fan are you?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
Chop shop(If u can find) - RM200-300
New - No idea!

Normally they sell in set. Roughly ard RM600-700

S

semperfi

Chop shop(If u can find) - RM200-300
New - No idea!

Normally they sell in set. Roughly ard RM600-700
I don't know about locals but internet and Japan, there are abundant. RHDJapan is one of 'em.

I quote:

Billion super electric fan 12" Rm700++
"Diameter : 327mm
-Thickness : 80mm
-Flow Rate : 428L/sec
-Power : 100W

-PULL
-PUSH

The push types are mounted in front of the cooling core and push air through them. The pull types mount behind the cooling core and pull air through them. These fans are capable of increasing your vehicle's cooling power because of their high flow. Can be used in the narrowest spaces due to the skinny design."

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
I do! Aftermarket ones.. why? You're not talking about the ceiling fan are you?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, got the 1962 KDK 4-blade ceiling in mahogany :hmmmm::biggrin:

No, seriously ... Anyone got the replacement fan for the RB26? Those useless plastic one tend to crack, chip off and who knows what tikus makan them or something wor ... :mad:

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
plastic ones if they crack i get the rm3 elephant glue and they work wonders. To combat vermins i get NVMRC party deathbot from mousehunt on facebook and they operate on 6 AAs batteries and work round the clock, no complaints so far from me. Biggest catch was a 22lb mouse trying to nible on crankshaft sensor feed, hah nice try mouse!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just wondering what shampoo or medium you guys use to clean the rims.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience