asking: what diff. with DOHC and SOHC??

4G93GTi-R

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
dohc is for sure better then sohc lah bro, better fuel consumption and more smooth, sohc better low end pick up, dohc have better mid and high end power...
yes soch got low end power & doch got top end power...originally but still can be advance...doch are like dual core cpu.

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Can anybody know why do we need to use DOHC instead of SOHC? Lets see you guys google this one. Rules of the game, don't put links and don't put up pros and cons. See what you guys can come up with. Its not a challenge, but merely i want to understand how informative our search engine educated society is.

Last edited:

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
an engine having a dohc head would have better breathing potential than a sohc head

e.g. angmoh spec. 4g15 sohc vs. angmoh spec. 4g15 dohc (not 4g91 ar), where a dohc swap is done to the sohc yields significant benefits, almost like fitting a higher spec. cam and larger throttle bodies/injectors to a sohc head...

the only cons i guess in a dohc vs. sohc wud be heavier weight, more moving parts...and cam swaps would cost 2 times more as there are 2 cams to change hehehehe

qimme

Known Member
Jun 27, 2007
qimme,
I hope you're not malaysian. You shame us all if you are.
is it wrong for me to ask??? coz someone need to who the diff.. i know what is DOCH n SOCH is... but did anyone who how do they work?? like SOCH all working in one cam.. n DOCH make it "asing" right?? so what i wanna asking is, how it work... not anyone know but it... what they know is (DOCH) - Double Over Head Cam n (SOCH) - Single Over Head Cam..

by the way tq to satria_95 for ur comment.. coz i know u good on car.. that way u say that right.. im just stupid n newbie here.. n it not wrong to learn right???:adore::adore::adore:

doppelganger

Known Member
May 5, 2006
4g13 sohc 12v... isit same as 12 valve? cos that would mean each cylinder got 3 valve as opposed to 4g15 dohc 16v...16 valve? i think is 4 valve per cylinder? right???wiki'd this already but don't understand..

hornydrifter

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
KEY EL!
low end torque means below 5000rpm/4000rpm..the feeling of the G bebeh..

to put into easier meaning..

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you pull teh wall with you...

understand bro?:smokin:

Mar 21, 2008
SOHC has ONE cam, less resistance to move its parts, power kicks in earlier

DOHC has TWO cams, more resistance to move its parts, power kicks in slightly later

if put both SOHC and DOHC of SAME displacement and N/A specs, SOHC will be good for twisty courses, DOHC is for loooooong straights n wider courses.

DOHC nowadays are mainly used becoz of it's smoothness powerband and less jerkiness respond

however, if turbo is applied, means different story :thefinger: