Urgent! Possibility of Fuel change next year!!!

tony5050

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
guys,

the zero subsidise plan sounds almost exactly the same like what's happening in our neighbour country such as thailand. No RON97 though. RON92 controlled, not subsidised, but RON95 full float.

As for the RON95 for tuning issue, those Thais has been tuning their car with 95 all the while. Used to run my RB to 900whp with Vpower and the Thai tuner was so impressed and jeolous of what we can get in our pump locally.

aziz.aziz,

labour cost different might be the case for Malaysian vs Japs, but you can be rest assured not in the Malaysian vs Thai.
Really, is the attitude of our mechanics have in themselves, not so much on how skillful or how much..and that;s the hardest thing to change:banghead:

DarkChild

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, spot on Tony.
It's attitude. The 'tidak apa' attitude that's pulling many industries down and hurting the growth. No pride or passion in what they do. Ah well...

azizi.aziz

1,500 RPM
Jul 5, 2006
agree also...it's attitute...just wondering if we as customer demand for better service..and put high expectation on them.. would they become better or they label us as 'lansi' owner...hehehe:biggrin:

splitduck

Known Member
Aug 19, 2008
y don't all zth owners save 50 k each...form our band of brothers...so everything will be controlled...
slowly eliminate the money system and start with a coupon system...that way no inflation or subsidy can affect us...hmmmm my opinion when ill have the power to help....!!

russwestwood

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2006
ofloveandcarbonfibre.blogspot.com
With regards to local engine builds and tuners:

Maybe its not only the local tuner and mechanic's 'tidak apa' attitude to blame, but also the attitude of our Malaysian car owner in general, always wanting best deals, quick service, and most importantly at the cheapest and best price. How will any car enthusiast turn engine builder / tuner survive in Malaysia if all his customers want cheap cheap cheap? And if he makes a mistake, we f*ck, sue and bad mouth him to all our friends and all over the internet.

If it were me, I will be so fed up, and move to a more civilized and prosperous country where customers can appreciate my work and pay me whats due for my quality.

So maybe we need to change OUR attitudes also.

My RB did manage to pulled some high horses, but eventho it was only for a short while before the sad incident of theft, but the Japanese tuner was also impressed on how high the 2.8 l engine could rev so willingly over 9000 rpm while on the dyno. Give my builder a few more years and some $$ to invest in a V Pro power writing software, and I know he can turn into a good local tuner as well.

S

semperfi

Adding on to what semperfi said...
Have you seen the workmanship of an engine properly done up by a reputed Japanese tuner? Every nut and bolt is marked. That's how meticulous they are. So neat and tidy. Every measurement is marked and carefully recorded in a little journal so they have references in future. It is very obvious when comparing an engine done in Japan to and engine done by locals. The local ones just don't measure up in terms of quality.
That being said, of course not all Japanese tuners are good. I guess the reason why people put them up on pedestals is because of the reputation they have built for themselves through their commitment, dedication and quality clearly shown in the work they have done. You will instantly realize this if you visit their country. They take pride in every little thing they do. Service is usually first class. That being said, of course not all Japanese tuners are good. In every industry, or society for that matter, there are always your bad apples. =)
Amen brother. Quality, assurance, best workmanship and not shoddy ones. Rest my case and moving on...

Bump: Anyone any idea why HKS invested in Brunei and not Malaysia? Malaysia has more potential and Brunei has only a handful of cars. The mind boggles.

DarkChild

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
You're right too Russ. It's a chain reaction. One thing affects the other. People in Malaysia, in general, don't want to pay for quality.
However, I agree that the workmanship back home has improved tremendously. Your build was excellent Russ and not to mention the recent 8sec GT Auto car too. 100% Malaysya Boleh land. At least there is some comfort knowing the industry is heading in the right direction.

With regards to local engine builds and tuners:

Maybe its not only the local tuner and mechanic's 'tidak apa' attitude to blame, but also the attitude of our Malaysian car owner in general, always wanting best deals, quick service, and most importantly at the cheapest and best price. How will any car enthusiast turn engine builder / tuner survive in Malaysia if all his customers want cheap cheap cheap? And if he makes a mistake, we f*ck, sue and bad mouth him to all our friends and all over the internet.

If it were me, I will be so fed up, and move to a more civilized and prosperous country where customers can appreciate my work and pay me whats due for my quality.

So maybe we need to change OUR attitudes also.

My RB did manage to pulled some high horses, but eventho it was only for a short while before the sad incident of theft, but the Japanese tuner was also impressed on how high the 2.8 l engine could rev so willingly over 9000 rpm while on the dyno. Give my builder a few more years and some $$ to invest in a V Pro power writing software, and I know he can turn into a good local tuner as well.

tony5050

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Guys,

Keeping almost EVERYTHING as secret within most of the tuners and mechanics too, is one of obstacles of slowing our tuning scene here locally. Take the 7sec dragster in Bangkok last year as example, the engine, tuning, chasis, and transmission setup were done by different very well known mechanics there. Its really amazing how they share their passion.
Locally, gossiping seems to be more often then sharing..

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
Yeah. Agree. There were times that the owners don't want or just couldn't fork out more money for something better such as the change of piston to ceramic coated and new crankshaft, but don't want to change the conrod as well, just after few runs, conrod patah then have to dismantle the engine again... and had that new crankshaft be changed also...

Or case like an engine transplant from halfcut, all the water hoses were told in bad condition already, owner don't want change to new one. What happened then? leakage and overheat...

Regardless of capability of local tuners/mechanics, what I see is those more experience ones are more reliable. While some not so experienced one tend to follow the manual/theory which could be wrong/not suitable at some time. Like the case of sr20 which uses timing chain, there was a manual which gave wrong info on the timing mark...

Just my little cents la...

Last edited:

gti88

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
semperfi,

I don't think you should look down on Malaysian tuners as well as engine builders and workshops alike. By saying that they're not good is a bit immature. Some of the Malaysian tuners are actually better than a Jap tuner. Why do I say so ? Because some of the Malaysian tuners tune according to horsepower increment on the dyno and not by using knock as a guideline. Once knock is present on an engine, there's already damage done. By tuning according to the horsepower, the proper way such as US and Australia tuners. This is how it's done.

This is just an example.. same engine, setup is the same, except for ignition timing.

(A) - at 6000rpm, ignition is set to 20, horsepower is 300hp at the wheels.
(B) - at 6000rpm, ignition is set to 25, horsepower is 305hp at the wheels.

What ignition timing should we key in for both reliability and also for HP ?
- it should be 20 because, even if we up the ignition to 25,
the difference of HP is only 5hp which makes it not worth it.

Some Japanese tuners tune like this ..

ignition set to 20, no knock
ignition set to 25, still no knock
ignition set to 28, knock is present,
okay mates ! since 28 got knock, we put to 25 !

I'm not saying ALL Japanese tuners tune like this but I've seen some.

this is just my 88cents.
I just don't find it fair that people are saying Malaysian tuners, workshops, and engine builders are not good.
We may not have as much experienced as the Japs, but give us sometime and we'll be up there.
Plus, right now, I think the Japs are behind the gwailous; the Australians & Americans.
Look at their timing with the rotaries, 2jz, vtec turbos, vtec NAs and Evos and compare it with the japs.

tony5050

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
gti,

i think no one here would want to say our own Malaysian mechanics are bad in their skills or tuning ability. But what were being discussed earlier are mostly on their attitude in learning new skills and info sharing though.
You're right, given "enough" time and experiences, they should be just as good.

Bump: gti,

i think no one here would want to say our own Malaysian mechanics are bad in their skills or tuning ability. But what were being discussed earlier are mostly on their attitude in learning new skills and info sharing though.

S

semperfi

gti,

Bump: gti,

Agree...

Gti,

One word... they have a long way to go. I wasn't refering to how much HP the Japs can offer, how they do it, how they technically tuned it. Read again my post... For the amount of money spent for the targeted HP I had to pay twice the amount, locally. All I'm saying, locals (not all) don't give two shakes if you blow up your engine and they will empty your pockets if given a chance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What Tony5050 said was right... It's 'their' attitude towards their clients. The Japs sent their RB engine expert to tune whereas the locals, you had to fork out extra RM1800 for their expert or boss to tune your engine. (where did this come from? you tell me) Do they really put in the effort like the rest of the world?

I didn't say they lack in skills... they lack the attitude. In short, the 'Tidak apa' attitude. You are comparing technical stuffs which is out of topic by the way. Again, I was refering to the amount of money spent and Quality assurance the Japanese has to offered, period. By the way, I was talking about local Borneo mechanics and not those in KL. :hmmmm:

Peace bro! We are just exchanging opinions... agree?

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,
I have an X reg VW Polo. Only a 1.4, but a very quick car. It is my first car (I'm 17). Basically, I've sorted the sound system, allows and D-badged it. I'm looking to buy an exhaust. I've seen a Sportex exhaust system, it comes with a race tube. My question is, do I need a race tube? and what difference does it make to the car?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience