help??my car eat engine oil.....

BDK8671

Known Member
Nov 14, 2007
ya ...mine BT oso have same problem ....:confused:
really need to do top overhual edi ...

for info ...if after open the engine block , we can juz move the 4 nos of cylinder head ....see got movement or not ....if really goyang alot ....i think better change the piston ring or piston as well .....hehe .....juz my 2 cent .....

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
ya... after alll still comes down to duit...duit... dan duit.....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

alex_khoo

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Mine's a BT, not SVT.
RM 500+ is not including workmanship; just the top set gasket kit. I heard my friend bought Taiwan made ones for only RM 300+, not very sure what's the details coz when I bought mine, the spare parts shop also quoted me 2 prices for it. One is RM 500+ & the other RM 300+.

Workmanship can't remember la, coz I didn't keep the receipts.
wat diffrent between top overhaul n full overhaul?? like wat part to change n price between 2??:confused:

20V Quard Cam

Known Member
Sep 23, 2007
:itsme:alex... you have the exact same symptoms as i have.....
it basicly eats when you rev up ur engine quite high (possibility when vvt on)
at that point some or your valve seals are abit old/worn off so on high rev the oil will pass through the valve seals.

Actually there is some black/blue smoke at ur exshaust IF YOU HIGH REV
So go for a TOP OVERHAUL....:nurse:

ME? haven't overhauled mine... but i've been through many mechanics/foremen all said the same thing, but mahal for the hand work. so right now kumpul duit and meantime top up 1 lit every 2000KM~3000KM. still the engine would be fine...
if black smoke come isit means will lost power ??

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
wat diffrent between top overhaul n full overhaul?? like wat part to change n price between 2??:confused:
top overhaul is just takes of the top cam covers, the head and service them,
full overhaul is full tear down the engine to bits and service them..... big difference.....

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
if black smoke come isit means will lost power ??
if your engine "lain macam" sure got issue....
normally black smoke issue is either makan minyak or your O2 sensor is out.
(black smoke + oil dipper kurang = one of your engine seals is khong)
(black smoke + oil dipper x kurang = rich petrol mixture, O2 sensor might khong)
one of them fails... ofcourse drop in performance.

Sifu's am i right? (2cents)

Last edited:

wilm3

500 RPM
Aug 4, 2005
KL
aiyo...svt n bt also old old man liao ..... yr 92, 93,....99...late model also bout 10 yrs lor...
my svt yr 92...so sure makan engine oil kawkaw...wat to do?..just top up oil evry 2000km lor..

Aug 5, 2008
my is SEL, 1500cc, imported version, running on 5AFE engine. Experinced the same scenario, but white smoke is less, and only seem during high rev (more than 3k RPM). It seem like "eating" is not serious but leaking is serious. I top up ~1liter for 1500km. Still not able to source the leaking point, and I am thinking to do top overhaul. How much does the topset cost for 5AFE? is it same like standard 4AFE?
Please advice.

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
my is SEL, 1500cc, imported version, running on 5AFE engine. Experinced the same scenario, but white smoke is less, and only seem during high rev (more than 3k RPM). It seem like "eating" is not serious but leaking is serious. I top up ~1liter for 1500km. Still not able to source the leaking point, and I am thinking to do top overhaul. How much does the topset cost for 5AFE? is it same like standard 4AFE?
Please advice.
bro white smoke??? even with a hot engine? this is damn serious liao leh.......
white smoke makan coolent!!! / masuk air!!!
correct me if i'm wrong here...

wilm3

500 RPM
Aug 4, 2005
KL
pls check ur water level if reduced wif no leaking then sure got problem liao lor...sometimes white and blue smoke hard to differentiate...cos oledi campur wif black smoke...so colorful ya...

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
As mentioned, "Top" overhaul, meaning the engine is only stripped up the cylinder head. So whatever things need to be replaced on the top part; up to the pistons, is considered as "top" lor.

Then "full" overhaul, means the whole engine lor, like the cranshaft bearings are usually replaced.

Price varies on different models of engine & place.

My apologies for a poor explanation. :listen: It'll be much better if you asked a mechanic in person. I think he'll be able to show a clearer picture in a workshop.

Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the advice and I been asking mechanic in person, so I understand the differences of top overhaul and major overhaul.
Regarding to the white smoke, it only happens while engine rev from 3k~4k RPM. White? Blue? Black? My mechanic saw it and said it is white:idea: Anyway it will not emit white smoke during normal driving, with RPM < 3k. Sometimes it gives some, but not really noticeable.
I been experince twice overheating, due to radiator internal stuck, luckily it didnt touch the redline in the termometer. But did these overheating destroy my gasket and cause it torn out? Anyhow, the water level in my water reservior drops and I top up them, but volume is less. And not frequent top up, maybe once a month.

So I am thinking to choose the solution :smokin: Shall I go for top overhaul to replace the gasket, valve seals etc for the engine top part then to see the result. If the condition is not improved, then I will go for major overhaul, to replace the piston rings.
:confused:So if my car is did top overhaul, then go for major overhaul, will it most cost saving? Will the previous top engine overhaul save some cost during the major overhaul?Or it is better to go for major overhaul to resolve them in a shot?

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
So I am thinking to choose the solution :smokin: Shall I go for top overhaul to replace the gasket, valve seals etc for the engine top part then to see the result. If the condition is not improved, then I will go for major overhaul, to replace the piston rings.
:confused:So if my car is did top overhaul, then go for major overhaul, will it most cost saving? Will the previous top engine overhaul save some cost during the major overhaul?Or it is better to go for major overhaul to resolve them in a shot?
I'm no expert but in my humble opinion, if your mechanic is a competent mechanic, he should be able to answer your question. This shouldn't be a guessing game after all, your condition is just a simple & straight forward wear & tear issue which is a common thing.

He should be able to diagnose how serious is the damage & what parts to be replaced & what doesn't need to be. If you're doubtful or suspicious of his advise, go see another reputable mechanic for a second opinion.

Price is a different issue altogether. Cheap may not be a good thing sometimes. There's no free lunch in this world. Some mechanics charge cheaper is bcoz they use imitation / inferior parts. And some are just pure con jobs. Hehehe.

bernard74

Known Member
Oct 21, 2008
Sarikei/Sarawak
Guys!:wavey: I have the same prob as well... a bit of white/blueish smoke during startup but gone in a few seconds. Doesn't eat much engine oil though, can survive 5000km oil change without obvious oil drop. My main prob is that engine warning light is lit 2-5 minutes after morning startup, when engine hot, it'll be lit. I've brought it to 2 renown mechanics in my area. But after computer diagnosed & thorough checking on all the sensors, they just shake their head!!!:confused::banghead: No solution....
It all happened 2 years ago when I went away for almost 3 weeks & left the car home sleeping all that while, the ecu burnt, emitting horrible smoke:smokin: when I drive it again for about 5 minutes. Couldnt find the exact ecu so use 5AFE ecu for the time being. No sooner after that my dash meter started dying as well. Just not so long ago I found same 4AFE ecu but not sure exact but engine power came back. :driver:
Anyone here been thru this b4? Any advice?? Pls share...Thank you:itsme: