Opening VTEC....

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i have an inquiry. i had this problem before and it was solved with a re-chipped ecu. however i notice something and would just like to know if its normal.

B16A motor. i know the oem ecu has a safety feature where the temperature of the engine has to be at the mid point, in order for the variable valve to work, correct?

so i have this ecu, that removes that safety feature because with my previous ecu, it was very difficult for me to engage my vtec.

i notice this: first few attempts, the vtec sound is rather soft, or rather, hardly noticeable. i have to rev it a few times (maybe 3-4 times) only then will i hear the vtec screaming like it should. is this normal? or do i have a problem with my vtec?

:confused::confused::confused:

pencalat

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2006
JB
i have an inquiry. i had this problem before and it was solved with a re-chipped ecu. however i notice something and would just like to know if its normal.

B16A motor. i know the oem ecu has a safety feature where the temperature of the engine has to be at the mid point, in order for the variable valve to work, correct?

:wavey:THAT'S CORRECT... IF STILL COLD THE VARIABLE VALVE WILL NOT OPEN..

so i have this ecu, that removes that safety feature because with my previous ecu, it was very difficult for me to engage my vtec.

i notice this: first few attempts, the vtec sound is rather soft, or rather, hardly noticeable. i have to rev it a few times (maybe 3-4 times) only then will i hear the vtec screaming like it should. is this normal? or do i have a problem with my vtec?

:nurse:UR RECHIPPED ECU MADE UR VTEC ENGAGE AT WHAT RPM?? IS IT 5.2K??
IF SO... IT'S NORMAL COZ OPEN TO EARLY THAN USUAL AT RPM 5.8K..

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
it used to be at 5.5k, but suhaimi from avantech did some minor tuning to it, now it opens back at 5.8k... however my question was regarding the soft vtec sound on initial attempts... :hmmmm:

crower75

5,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
TeAM C.R.D
Visit site
it used to be at 5.5k, but suhaimi from avantech did some minor tuning to it, now it opens back at 5.8k... however my question was regarding the soft vtec sound on initial attempts... :hmmmm:
if it's from "suhaimi" (eeuuuuwwwww.....we call him mie or cempiang) it's like dat one hahahhahaha (joking only la hehe)

maybe your VTEC malu2 kucing at first....after awhile it starts to make noise. On a serious note, it's true la, if the car temperature is not at the optimum level yet, VTEC won't engage.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
malu malu kucing? WTF LOL. vtec was supposed to be furious, now malu malu kucing pulak LOL... cannot make it laaaa.. :biggrin:

budin99

Known Member
Mar 19, 2006
if it's from "suhaimi" (eeuuuuwwwww.....we call him mie or cempiang) it's like dat one hahahhahaha (joking only la hehe)

maybe your VTEC malu2 kucing at first....after awhile it starts to make noise. On a serious note, it's true la, if the car temperature is not at the optimum level yet, VTEC won't engage.
quite long time no see..see taim no long haven't see abam crower posting here keh keh keh..

p/s- Very easy..bring back to avantech to check :D

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
haha, here's the catch. when i reach avantech, my vtec functions perfectly.... cuz my hse to avantech is like 20 minutes..

aih.. :hmmmm:

pencalat

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2006
JB
Hehe.. that mean ur sickness car scared la when reach the clinic avantech...
:burnout::burnout::burnout:

crower75

5,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
TeAM C.R.D
Visit site
quite long time no see..see taim no long haven't see abam crower posting here keh keh keh..

p/s- Very easy..bring back to avantech to check :D
Low profile (but not using low profile tyres)

Waaa so good aaa avantek nowdays ? Every car forum I go got mention avantek dis avantek dat tek dis tek dat tek dis tek dat hahahahha so long as not tetek ok la hor ? Like dis Fei Lou oso must retire oredi hahahha

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
who is fei lou? kasi intro sikit. haha the more the merrier...

actually my question is only, normal kah the vtec sound soft for the initial stages? :burnout:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
I think instead of the temp sensor, another reason why the vtec cannot engage is because of the green pressure sensor below the solenoid. VTEC runs on oil pressure, so if your engine is suffering from low oil pressure, then the vtec will work intermittently, and sometimes, only when the oil is thin at higher temperatures, then the pressure will build properly and vtec engages correctly.. that why you should wait till the engine is cold and see if the problem is repeatable each time the engine is still cold.

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Check your solenoid as well, its spring operated. Sometimes sludges get in there and can cause it to be stuck too. Take out the VTEC solenoid and clean it out. Hardly the problem though, my first impression would be like Shiro's, might be the oil pressure sensor acting up..

Once the water temp passes 60, VTEC will open. I'm not so sure whether there is such thing as partial opening of VTEC.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
ahh yes D-IV sifu has spoken. as far as the solenoid is concerned, i've serviced it before this. not long ago, maybe 3-4 months ago. and also, i just changed my solenoid seal weeks back.. so worth a check though..

hmmm i'll get eric of avantgarde to check my oil pressure sensor tmr.. any heads up on how to check it?

as far as partial vtec opening, my really sounds like it... haha its like 50% of how the vtec should sound...

Last edited:

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
i've encountered several frens with similar case before, the vtec sound not garang....but i think as long as the power is there, doesnt matter about the sound so much laa....if no (or lack) vtec sound plus can feel no power (butt dyno), then really hafta check thoroughly....nevertheless, do check all the things recommended by others (vtec solenoid, etc.) just to b sure it is not an impending disaster to come.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone knows how to install grounding wire kits for iswara aeroback? If possible, please attach the pics of the engine bay with grounding wire installed. Thanks a lot!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience