how does hi cam work?

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
any expertist can brief me why people use hi cam to increase speed? how does it work? what are different with normal cam?

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
its very technical, try reading "how engine works" first at www.howstuffworks.com

for high cam or performance cam, the degree of the "water drop shaped" thingy the moves the valves at the camshaft is different from stock. different degree gives different loop time. longer open loop time will give u more air thus more fuel is mixed thus better combustion = better power.

correct me if im wrong.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
any expertist can brief me why people use hi cam to increase speed? how does it work? what are different with normal cam?
Hi cam are cams that are mounted at hi altitude to snap hi quality images.. They serve to increase speed by using the most advance.... Just listen to boosook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarb

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
its very technical, try reading "how engine works" first at www.howstuffworks.com

for high cam or performance cam, the degree of the "water drop shaped" thingy the moves the valves at the camshaft is different from stock. different degree gives different loop time. longer open loop time will give u more air thus more fuel is mixed thus better combustion = better power.

correct me if im wrong.
"water drop shaped" - the word you are looking for is "cam profile". High cam is where the cam profile loop is bigger to provide more valve lift, and the cam profile curvature is smaller to provide longer time for valve lift (for more air intake or more exhaust out)

Sarb

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005

correct me if im wrong.
"water drop shaped" - the word you are looking for is "cam profile". High cam is where the cam profile loop is bigger to provide more valve lift, and the cam profile curvature is smaller to provide longer time for valve lift (for more air intake or more exhaust out)

cheers!:itsme:

retrofit1

Known Member
Feb 17, 2008
Hi,if i change to hi cam...do i need to install piggyback/safc as well?

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
is an option for u...because piggyback/standalone is an ecu which mean to manage your engine...

is better to install if u got the cash...
a safc wlil do

Choon

Known Member
Jan 4, 2005
Perak
Visit site
Hi,if i change to hi cam...do i need to install piggyback/safc as well?
anyway, hi cam will exert more stress to your valves because of the more sharp curvature on the cam profile, which might shorten the life of the stock valves.. correct, sifu sekalian?

and now gasoline price went up ad, dun use high cam lo.. use more fuel oni.. haha :biggrin:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
anyway, hi cam will exert more stress to your valves because of the more sharp curvature on the cam profile, which might shorten the life of the stock valves.. correct, sifu sekalian?

and now gasoline price went up ad, dun use high cam lo.. use more fuel oni.. haha :biggrin:

nope... valves are not wear n tear item... sharp curvature of the cam lobe means higher lift on valves to allow more air/fuel to go thru....

camshaft with high lift recommended to upgrade stiffer valve spring... stiffer valve spring allows valve to go up and down fast and precise so ur piston wont hit ur valve...

Choon

Known Member
Jan 4, 2005
Perak
Visit site
nope... valves are not wear n tear item... sharp curvature of the cam lobe means higher lift on valves to allow more air/fuel to go thru....

camshaft with high lift recommended to upgrade stiffer valve spring... stiffer valve spring allows valve to go up and down fast and precise so ur piston wont hit ur valve...
no ah? i tot i read it somewhere.. when i found the info then i paste back here la.. ahha

retrofit1

Known Member
Feb 17, 2008

sifu sky,i'm using 4g13p...satria mmc batch.i plan to install hicam to increase torque.what duration do you suggest? do i have to change the valve spring as well.how much ar?:hmmmm:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
sifu sky,i'm using 4g13p...satria mmc batch.i plan to install hicam to increase torque.what duration do you suggest? do i have to change the valve spring as well.how much ar?:hmmmm:

the normal one, 272 degree would be suitable... reasonable power increase but with minimal (not none) effect on low end and driveability... get it tuned properly and it will perform...

as for valve spring... i'm heard some sifoo using standard valve spring on 292 cams no problem... while the other sifoo using 272 cams on standard valve spring KO'ed....

so, i guess it fairly depends on the condition of ur valve springs... if ur duration and lift of ur highcam is alot and often high revs, it is recommended to upgrade to stiffer valve springs...

my 2 cents...

CarroTT

Known Member
Nov 9, 2006
the "hi" on the hi cam usually refers to the "lift" that the cam exert to make the valves move down n up.

a hi cam will make ur valve being pushed down lower to open wider , thus giving less resistance to flow.

the peak of the loob are higher for a hi cam, not neccesarily wider or fatter.
Just to make the valves open wider.

being specific on the term "hi" oni

duration and position of cam is more usual to be described by "long" or "length" and "degree"

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys i found this page on editing eprom programs for 4g61, thought it may be worth trying , if it works then worth the risk kekekeke or else ECU BURN :D

http://users.wpi.edu/~ktarry/dsmtech/dsmromedit.html#fuelcut
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience