How does adjustable campulley works?

openpodkiller

May 13, 2008
hi guys, i m newbie here.

i want to know how does adjustable campulley works? is it really can increase the hp for the car ?

sifu sifu here can explain it what is it about and how does it function ? thank you.

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
i'm just sharing as wat i know...might mis out few things..

every car have a cam pulley which located just beside your engine and which carry out wit timing belt...usually cover by a cam pulley cover..if u look at it, it is like some sort of gear,tat in a big size...search google to look for how it exactly looks like

adjustable cam pulley is a cam pulley which the location of the cam pulley is same as original BUT is adjustable..u can either adjust it into advance or retard..depends on which one u would like to play wit..
advance is for low-end while retard is for high-end..
once u choose advance,u wil lose power on high-end..however once u choose retard,u wil lose power on low-end...is vice versa..
u wan play pickup,go for low-end (advance)...u wan play street race like while driving on the highway starting 3rd gear onwards,go for high-end(retard)

u wil notice a bar like ruler on the adjustable cam pulley...the origin position usually at the mid...so for retard,adjust it to left side and for advance,adjust it to right side..
tat's for wat i know... :)
beside,i think they are few thread posted regarding on adjustable cam pulley..u can try search back if u wan to know more...

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
i'm just sharing as wat i know...might mis out few things..

every car have a cam pulley which located just beside your engine and which carry out wit timing belt...usually cover by a cam pulley cover..if u look at it, it is like some sort of gear,tat in a big size...search google to look for how it exactly looks like

adjustable cam pulley is a cam pulley which the location of the cam pulley is same as original BUT is adjustable..u can either adjust it into advance or retard..depends on which one u would like to play wit..
advance is for low-end while retard is for high-end..
once u choose advance,u wil lose power on high-end..however once u choose retard,u wil lose power on low-end...is vice versa..
u wan play pickup,go for low-end (advance)...u wan play street race like while driving on the highway starting 3rd gear onwards,go for high-end(retard)

u wil notice a bar like ruler on the adjustable cam pulley...the origin position usually at the mid...so for retard,adjust it to left side and for advance,adjust it to right side..
tat's for wat i know... :)
beside,i think they are few thread posted regarding on adjustable cam pulley..u can try search back if u wan to know more...
So what 'timing' on the adjustable cam-pulley would be the best for people who want pickup, but also like to rev high rpms for the pickup each gear?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
So what 'timing' on the adjustable cam-pulley would be the best for people who want pickup, but also like to rev high rpms for the pickup each gear?
dvvt...

yes, its true that dvvt/vvti can do such stuff... thats why this technology is created... it advances and retards the timing automatically according to ur driving style, engine load, engine speed and so on...

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
troo troo

oso this adjustable cam pulley u hafta play around with it to get the best settings that you like

nenon

Known Member
Nov 14, 2006
it depends, if carb then better retard and if inj/ FI go for advance

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
like wat tofu_manic said..u have to adjust and try it to suit your decision...
u can't do all the advance...because if u did tat...u totally don have any power left for high-end...u can try it by max advance and see wat happen on high-end..hahaha....
so u have to be balance..some ppl like 1st n 2nd gear speed...some ppl like 4th n 5th speed...

for me i like the temptation of 1st n 2nd :)..

openpodkiller

May 13, 2008
haha .....thank you to bros clanzkiller,nitrus,skywalker,tofu,nenon.

i happy that u all give reply and useful knowledge to me....but one thing i don understand that is if i adjust to retard position (for high end), is it my pick up(low end) power will be less immediately(even less than original?)?

i always use north-south highway (KL - penang-KL) feel bored with the high end power la. after 120km/h then power is suck la.....so i plan to put adjustable campulley to make my high end power abit kuat than ori, as my fren's fren told me about this.

thank you again bros!!!

boosook

Known Member
Jul 14, 2005
Shah Alam
yes its true that if u retard it u will get better high end but campulley alone wont give u the satisfaction u need for high end. another way to improve your high end is by changing ur gearbox with a lower final drive ratio.

yes your low end will drop,if im not mistaken worst than ur stock. u might have trouble going up hill. use open pod if u want to improve ur low end.

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
haha .....thank you to bros clanzkiller,nitrus,skywalker,tofu,nenon.

i happy that u all give reply and useful knowledge to me....but one thing i don understand that is if i adjust to retard position (for high end), is it my pick up(low end) power will be less immediately(even less than original?)?

i always use north-south highway (KL - penang-KL) feel bored with the high end power la. after 120km/h then power is suck la.....so i plan to put adjustable campulley to make my high end power abit kuat than ori, as my fren's fren told me about this.

thank you again bros!!!

yes..u can only chose either low-end or high-end adjustment...
if u chose high-end,your low end wil slightly decrease...cause it;s more concentrate on high-end..it wil lesser then original settings...
anyways,adjustable cam pulley doesn't increase your current hp..
but only increase in either torque or maxspeed...

wat car u drving bro?if u wan high-end speed,go for something like hi-cam,vtec,mivec...
or like boosok said...u can change your gearbox..have to depends whether u using manual or auto transmission too..

by changing adjustable cam pulley,the power u feel wil be slightly diff only..not as high as u changing internal parts..

openpodkiller

May 13, 2008
thanks bro boosok and clanzkiller. i understand ur all info.

i m currently driving saga lmst, 1.3L stock engine,manual. i think i do not change my gearbox yet la....cos the car is still new oh(sayang oh changing it.). hehe ....but, now i need information about HI-CAM that bro clanzkiller mentioned above. what is hi-cam actually ?

another thing is if i change adjustable campulley, how is the FC after install? higher?

thank you 1st....again! haha

Last edited:

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
openpodkiller, the difference of fc with the adjustable cam gear is negligible, dunneed worry, its not like bolting on a race cam

altho, if u advance the cam gear a few degrees to bring the powerband out earlier, theoretically u will have slitely better fc as u have better power down low, where u do most of ur driving

a high cam or a race cam will make ur mid-to-high rpm better...at the expense of low end, so fc will be a bit affected, depending on ur driving style and specification of the camshaft...

a milder more normal camshaft will make ur mid rpm nice but it will be breathless at higher rpm...

good luck!

openpodkiller

May 13, 2008
yeah ....catcha!!! thanks bro kenzo and tofu .i understand oredi and i know what i need to do oredi ......anywhere thanks again ya.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
it depends, if carb then better retard and if inj/ FI go for advance
not necessary...

thank you again bros!!!
yes... retard ur timing, ur throttle response at low end will be abit sluggish... but mid to high rpm revs feels torquey...
advance ur timing... nice smooth initial pickup at low end.... but runs out of breath at about 120kmh above...

yes your low end will drop,if im not mistaken worst than ur stock. u might have trouble going up hill. use open pod if u want to improve ur low end.
open pod improves low end torque??... i thought the other way round??... drop-in improves low end torque due to the necessary backpressure.... open pod works wonderfully at mid to high rpm as there is minimal restriction/backpressure...

yeah ....catcha!!! thanks bro kenzo and tofu .i understand oredi and i know what i need to do oredi ......anywhere thanks again ya.
so, whats ur plan next??...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi V6 sifus
, im drivivg V6 year 2008, having noise around timing belt area, when i touch the timing belt cover can feel a kind of vibration, my car clocked 610981km, and is that because of timing belt or ??????
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience