New parts vs. 2nd hand.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Hmm.. This question was once very popular.
And it's really a good question, should we buy new or 2nd hand?

Well, here's my experience.
To repair my B16A head,

I got the following items.
Type R LMA (finally got them... after a long wait....(>_<)
P30 Gasket
Valves (I'm using S2 flat valves, price wise, double from stock, new)
That alone came to a grand total of near 2K. That's sans springs and cams, and also a set of cam pulleys. This is still up in the air, because I'm not sure what kind of bottom end I'm thinking of building.

Like hattech-v said, buying a 2nd hand head is cheaper.
So it is, and well...... he is right.

One thing about buying second hand is that it's a bit of common sense and luck. Always check what you buy, and if you're not experienced enough, get someone who does, and even after all that, you still have the chance that the 2nd hand part will break, but it will absolutely be cheaper.

So, did I feel the pinch? Yes I did..

Did I regret it? Well, I'm not planning to sell the car, so I'm swapping in new parts, price be damned. So I didn't regret it, and I'll keep on finding new parts to swap in as the car ages and maintainance catches up.

Power wise? Well.. this is a bit of a problem, I'm stuck with moving house after transferring from my old place, and the mech is busy fixing the cars for chinese new year, so that will have to wait until I actually get the parts into the car and do a retune, and then dyno.

I'll be a bit busy and infrequent visitor of ZTH till post chinese new year, so to those celebrating, Happy Chinese New Year, and those who aren't are probably enjoying free mandarin oranges about now.

Later.

fobs

3,000 RPM

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
yeahhh,... pong kam, lo kam,... etc,... oranges!!!

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Bawah jembatan
woi shiro

where got free mandarin oranges? i bought a few kotak oredy at tesco/giant
... all masam just like i want them to be so i can enjoy all of them by myself because everybody else like sweet oranges... me i'm a sour guy har har har

anyway 2nd hand bodyparts are most of the time OK. minor dents here n there but everything just goes in right. well some exceptions for bumpers or pp things la... some of them are quite 'stretched' during shipping etc. my rear bumper does not fit perfectly... but ok la

darkemperor

Known Member

darkemperor

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
woi shiro

where got free mandarin oranges? i bought a few kotak oredy at tesco/giant
... all masam just like i want them to be so i can enjoy all of them by myself because everybody else like sweet oranges... me i'm a sour guy har har har

anyway 2nd hand bodyparts are most of the time OK. minor dents here n there but everything just goes in right. well some exceptions for bumpers or pp things la... some of them are quite 'stretched' during shipping etc. my rear bumper does not fit perfectly... but ok la
mechanical parts and electronics...me 2 if budget isn't a problem i prefer new..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello everyone,

I am Bozarth. I am garage owner for mercedes benz. Currently i found an intelligent module for mercedes benz-- window closing module . It can remotely close and open car windows by key, collision warning function, air circulation, car seeking function...

Its website is: Plus OBD | The most professional Auto Diagnostic Tool Center..
with product video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3c2CD2MPUo&feature=youtu.be...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience