Retreat! -Review: R3 Satria

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
Originally posted by putra_dreamin@Jan 3 2005, 15:20
Thanks guys fer the info.. Guess will have to go with a putra then. Will they come out with an R3 putra? Coz one of the development cars is a putra right? if i'm not mistaken.

Anyway, can other car owners (other than the R3) join the R3 TT session ? :P

jus kiddin.. haha
R3 has commented that it will not develop a Putra R3 simply because it is an old platform and no longer in production. Although I would have loved to see a Putra R3, and would certainly buy one in place of the Satria R3.

But you know what? Never say never :P

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
putra r3 ? i believe i can be done..not even by the r3 engineers. by our local house tuners, and i believe i will be better than the satria r3

coz r3 satria is out, ppl can blueprint its specification a-z and place it to another platform, e.g putra, and find any flaws on it and make a better vehicle.

glee

Known Member
Originally posted by ninja_iga@Jan 3 2005, 01:44
ahahhaahha

aiyo
this is of course very very subjective
even if anyone's tuning can outhandle the R3 Satria, comfort (relative to R3's) will be compromised as hell

i'm pretty sure R3 boys did their homework.
*respect*
what you get in the R3 in terms of handling, is all the work and effort gone into tuning the car. T.Djan himself spent hours and hours tuning it. It doesn't matter if you have TEIN, or GAB or etc.. its not the brand or the type of exotic metal bits your suspension is made out of that gives the performance, but by the human element who decides on spring rates, and damping, and anti roll bar rates..etc.

a good example is the bmw M division. They have at their disposal, tonnes of high-tech equipment to build their M cars. But at the end of the day, the deciding factor is their M test drivers, and that good old "butt dyno" that decides on the final setup.

i believe an R3 buyer is someone who wants to get performance, in a brand new car, with the least possible hassle and within a reasonable budget. With R3 doing all the work , a prospective owner doesnt need to do any guess work on how to mod his car. There just simply isn't a car that does what the R3 can do, at the budget, and for brand new. thats a fact that you can't argue with. If you dont like it, you dont buy it. simple.

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
Originally posted by glee+Jan 3 2005, 16:26 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (glee @ Jan 3 2005, 16:26 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ninja_iga@Jan 3 2005, 01:44
ahahhaahha

aiyo
this is of course very very subjective
even if anyone's tuning can outhandle the R3 Satria, comfort (relative to R3's) will be compromised as hell

i'm pretty sure R3 boys did their homework.
*respect*
what you get in the R3 in terms of handling, is all the work and effort gone into tuning the car. T.Djan himself spent hours and hours tuning it. It doesn't matter if you have TEIN, or GAB or etc.. its not the brand or the type of exotic metal bits your suspension is made out of that gives the performance, but by the human element who decides on spring rates, and damping, and anti roll bar rates..etc.

a good example is the bmw M division. They have at their disposal, tonnes of high-tech equipment to build their M cars. But at the end of the day, the deciding factor is their M test drivers, and that good old "butt dyno" that decides on the final setup.

i believe an R3 buyer is someone who wants to get performance, in a brand new car, with the least possible hassle and within a reasonable budget. With R3 doing all the work , a prospective owner doesnt need to do any guess work on how to mod his car. There just simply isn't a car that does what the R3 can do, at the budget, and for brand new. thats a fact that you can't argue with. If you dont like it, you dont buy it. simple. [/b][/quote]
Well said glee. It's getting slightly exhausting hearing the 'other tuners can do it, and better too' and 'we can take a 1.3 base car and make it better than the R3' kind of claims. Yes, they are all possible. If you have deep pockets you can have the 'bestest' car in the world. No one can match a modder with lots of dosh.

But again, fellas, the SR3 is a brand-new, performance-tuned, affordable machine, bred from out of the R3 factory, backed by a manufacturer. Please name a competitor product with similar specs and price point. A Type-R? Pay a whole lot more. A Ford Lynx RS? You pay a whole lot more, and will still get you ass whipped by the SR3! Come on peeps, look at the big picture. Look at the package.

Criticise, insult all you want, but back it up with facts. R3 has shown that they listen to its customers, so if you have test-driven, and experienced the SR3 and have things to say about it, let them know so they can build a better car.

The SR3 has its faults, however minor, but I can attest to its performance, its handling, its presence and styling. It's all good. Have no regrets whatsoever on my purchase. Moving from my 1.8 Persona is a positive step up. Go ask other SR3 owners and they will tell it as it is. No point lying. And no point misleading others. We do not blindly support the SR3, but we appreciate it for what it is and what it stands for. And we believe in what it could be in the near future.

Here's to more modding, driving and an even better SR3!

DEX

Jun 14, 2004
I guess its ok for a new 13 yrs old car with a few hop up bits.. :unsure: and probably be the great compared to what is on the market (like none..) but if taxes werent an issue we be looking at a whole lot of modern go faster hatches like a clio 182, ctr, 206 gti...

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
Originally posted by DEX@Jan 3 2005, 21:44
I guess its ok for a new 13 yrs old car with a few hop up bits.. :unsure: and probably be the great compared to what is on the market (like none..) but if taxes werent an issue we be looking at a whole lot of modern go faster hatches like a clio 182, ctr, 206 gti...
:) Now that's a thought. A Clio RS, a Peugeot 206 GTi, *ahem* yes, its all good. Would settle for an old Pug 205 anytime :) Or gimme a Ford Focus or a Golf GTi.

But you know what, the SR3 would still give the lot a run for the money!

DEX

Jun 14, 2004
Maybe.. then again we may never know coz when was the last time u saw one of these beaut. on the road? :huh:

llsaw

Known Member
Dec 23, 2003
Penang
thespfiles.blogspot.com
All,

I don't understand this complain about using and old or 13 year old car as base if the car is an excellent plat form to work with in the first place and modded up to latest spec. Just look at the old Mini.. And the Toyota Levin AE86 is still an excellent competition/drift car widely used in Jap Land today. A lot of people in JDM land will also tell you that the Skyline BNR32 platform is amongst the most popular for modding and competition use compared to the R33 and 34..

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Let's be glad there is still a manufacturer dishing out the PROPER version of the Mitsubishi Colt. Not the MPV'ish nonsense you see in S'pore.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Speaking of hot hatches, what are the better hot hatches we can get in Malaysia (disregarding the price factor), new ones of course. List out the SR3's competitors, the Civic type R, what else is out there in hot hatchville???

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
Originally posted by Crash+Jan 3 2005, 15:44 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Crash @ Jan 3 2005, 15:44 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-putra_dreamin@Jan 3 2005, 15:20
Thanks guys fer the info.. Guess will have to go with a putra then. Will they come out with an R3 putra? Coz one of the development cars is a putra right? if i'm not mistaken.

Anyway, can other car owners (other than the R3) join the R3 TT session ? :P

jus kiddin.. haha
R3 has commented that it will not develop a Putra R3 simply because it is an old platform and no longer in production. Although I would have loved to see a Putra R3, and would certainly buy one in place of the Satria R3.

But you know what? Never say never :P [/b][/quote]
aik.. brarder crash.. a bit of contradiction there eh? Putra old so they dowan to develop it? Heck, the Satria CA4A shell is also old whooorrrr!

But still a GREAT platform to work on, as many enthusiasts have proclaimed.

Someone was saying to me that it's just Proton's gimmick to get rid of old stock. Old shells jst being modified. HAH, I think it's more than that. I think R3 is a development process where it's pretty much from scratch. So what if its old body right.. you're still stripping everything bare anyway and fit in new stuff.

And the R3 drives well. Excellent stuff from Race.Rally.Research. Well done boys!

A R3 version of Gen.2? WOW! Definitely keeping my eyes & ears open!

The avatar will a fantasy that I can never forget. What an R3 looks like in my driveway.. boohoo! My car at the back jeles already! Can never forget the day an R3 actually rolls up and pulls into the driveway. :( :( :(

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
aik.. brarder crash.. a bit of contradiction there eh? Putra old so they dowan to develop it? Heck, the Satria CA4A shell is also old whooorrrr!
Hey lekalo,

What I meant was that the car is no longer in production, and therefore R3 would not develop it, although it would have been nice :)

Gimmick to get rid of old stock? Well, it remains a view of that someone, until he does more research on the R3 project and learn that it takes time, effort and research to churn out something like the SR3.

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
Originally posted by si|verfish@Jan 4 2005, 09:58
Speaking of hot hatches, what are the better hot hatches we can get in Malaysia (disregarding the price factor), new ones of course. List out the SR3's competitors, the Civic type R, what else is out there in hot hatchville???
Actually, that's a good question silverfish.

The only ones I can think of are Alfa 147 (yums!), Peugeot 206 GTi, Mitsi Mirage Colt ZR (very rare, but seen 1 or 2), Renault Clio V6 (rare, rare, rare) + its RS variant (only in showroom!), Honda Civic EP3, New Mini. That's about all I can think of right now. Can we list down the Wira SE? It technically a hatch :D Don't know about the 'hot' bit.

Oh, what about the Daihatsu YRV turbo and the new Suzuki Swift (yums!)?

Not that much choice for hot hatches in the country. There are hatches but minus the 'hot', mostly.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
LOL@Crash

For the ultimate dream hot hatch, check my signature! Autodelta 147 GTA!!!

Anyway, the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA might show the SR3 a clean set of heel on the straights. Heck its got 250bhp. But on a twisting winding road or on a track, I think the SR3 would hold its own against the much much more expensive Alfa. The rest (including the Alfa actually) are all so rare and more expensive. How much does all those cars costs to get one in Malaysia? RM200k???

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dunno is repost, helping fren to post, Car stolen in front of her house, lost today early morning.

Car: Black Honda Civic 2.0s '08
Mod: No, stock standard c/w original module bodykit, tinted
Number plat: BJS1808
Place: Klang, Meru.

Person to contact: PDRM or 0162123813(Alan)

Anyone seen the car moving around pls contact the number above.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience