Engine shuts off randomly during driving.

soulfly

500 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
Miri
fakhrain.blogdrive.com
car: Civic EF
engine: B16A swap (OBD-0)

Here's the story.

About 2 months back I had swapped the cams to bigV cams (got them real cheap, but that's not the story). Also changed the sparkplugs to NGK Iridium (2nd hand and cheap, but condition looks good). Everything ran just fine, until one or two days later, I was driving normally. After about 7-8 minutes of driving the engine suddenly shuts off. ECU throws out error code #15 (ignition output signal). The engine won't restart. It could crank, electric was fine, but the engine just wont fire. I have to wait about 1-2 minutes, only then it could start like problem never happened.

I reset the ecu by taking off the battery (-) terminal. The error code on the ECU disappears, until the engine decides to shuts off again.

I have replaced the ignition coil, but it did not do justice.

Then according to my mechanic, it could be relay problem. I have replaced the main relay with an EG main relay (grey colour). Problem seems to be gone, for about two weeks plus.

After two weeks, the problem happens again. Same error code, same symptom. Could it be the same main relay faulty again?

Some other Honda forums suggested that I check all the grounding connections. All looked fine and locked tight. Only the one near the thermostat seems to look kinda green-ish.

Battery seems ok because all the electrical parts are working without problem.

Fuel pump is fine. But it seems that fuel economy drops.

Last Monday, I have serviced my radiator, replaced the top part (the old one got crack in it). The engine never get overheated, but I guess it's time to fix that one. After that the problem seems to disappear, and I was driving fine on Tuesday. However, today, the engine didn't gave me any chance. It shuts off twice, making me late for my class. :mad:

Anybody could look into my problem?

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Could be faulty wiring, but if you say can crank, you should have taken out the plugs and test if they sparked or not, and if they aren't, it's your ignition system causing the problem, exactly which part in the system, that one need to troubleshoot la.

If your plugs are firing, but the engine is not starting.. then only it's the fuel system.

But if you keep burning out the same parts after replacement, start thinking about a new harness, or find a way to fix the wiring.

soulfly

500 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
Miri
fakhrain.blogdrive.com
My engine starts normally and quite easy to start. It's just that whenever it stalls, it can't be started straight away, need to wait like 1 minute, only then can.

So far no misfiring detected. Whenever it shuts off, it just shuts off and the battery light and engine oil light will come out. Sometimes check engine light will come out also, but sometimes it doesn't. ECU always throw code #15.

soulfly

500 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
Miri
fakhrain.blogdrive.com
And one more thing to add.

Even if I just let the engine idle (from cold start until normal operating temp), for like about 8 minutes, it will also suddenly shuts off.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Unless we can find out circumstances which causes the engine to stall, I'm afraid it's hard to say.

Based on checklight, it should be apparent, but well why does it stall is the question.. if it's fuel cut, then start tracing the problem along that line.
if it's igntion, then have to go along that route.

Sorry can't help further.

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
inside the distributor theres ignition coil AND ignitor. have you change your ignitor? just to be sure, swap with a used complete distributor.

other than that it could be the main relay but then again u said you have changed it.

other than that also, check your fuel filter. prolly its been there since god knows when.

I have replaced the ignition coil, but it did not do justice.

cekau

Known Member
Oct 5, 2005
it happened to me after I change my cams to tap-r .. first the problem was the distributor .. change all the internals and everything was okay .. but after few days, the problem came back .. change again the internals .. okay for one day only .. until it wont start .. after a thorough checking, the culprit was the cam .. the teeth pulley was out .. how do I say "gigi lari dari belting" .. so, no compression .. the engine wont fire ..

so, from that, maybe few things you need to look at ..

1. your distributor ..
2. cams setting ..

rapinsoul

Known Member
Sep 19, 2005
Petaling Jaya
My engine starts normally and quite easy to start. It's just that whenever it stalls, it can't be started straight away, need to wait like 1 minute, only then can.

So far no misfiring detected. Whenever it shuts off, it just shuts off and the battery light and engine oil light will come out. Sometimes check engine light will come out also, but sometimes it doesn't. ECU always throw code #15.
I did have the symptoms about a year back, actually mine over a leak from the Radiator and Hose.... Normally you can drive ur temp will be normal but ur engine will shut.. I replaced the top and bottom cover of my radiator and tested using the presure pump inside water no leake after that from the radiator.. Then once i fix the radiator back again tested presure for the whole cooling system and found out there is another leake on the hose.. Replaced both of those now no problems... You may try this but the problem maybe due to other reason as well ---- Just a Piece of info for ya take care peace:biggrin:

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Bawah jembatan
what is the age of your engine?

in the electronics industry where semiconductors are concerned, the targeted lifetime of an electronic equipment is 12 years after which the probability of failure goes up exponentially.

soulfly

500 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
Miri
fakhrain.blogdrive.com
what is the age of your engine?

in the electronics industry where semiconductors are concerned, the targeted lifetime of an electronic equipment is 12 years after which the probability of failure goes up exponentially.
it was taken from 1989 model Integra DA8. should be roughly about 18 years old...lol.

as was suggested by some ppl from other forums, i decided to take a peek at the thermostat grounding and found the grounding point to be covered by corrosion, greenish stuff, looks pretty nasty. the grounding point is actually consist of 4 different groundings (not sure about the details). probably will try clean those tomorrow, but need to get some tools. pathetic me don't have correct tools to open those bolts and nuts.

hopefully it's just some minor electrical problem

as mentioned by cekau, i will probably get the cam setting checked again with my mechanic on monday or tuesday.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all sifu's which may guide my on this problem,

I'm going to installed 390cc injector(mitsu gsr) to take over my std injector 255cc(nissan march).But there's too much question on my mind including some bad explanation from foreman outthere.

I also have a piggy back(r-fit),quite same as safc2.

the question are,

1.can my car started when i start the engine(seem it will be to rich fuel mixture)
2.how to set the afc...do i need to set +50% or -50% to tipu my ecu to send low fuel...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience