AT to MT conversion

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
Hi fellas,

Excellent thread for the Altezza newbie. I've a few questions to ask about conversion:
1. Take an AT model and swap in a MT gearbox and aftermarket ECU, any complications?
2. How easy would it be to source for parts for this conversion?
3. What sort of cost is involved?

Also..
1. For the AT models, using aftermarket ECU + suitable exhaust system + other bolt-on parts, can the powerband of the engine be tuned for low-end to mid-range? Instead of the stock mid-range to high-end?
2. If yes, any disadvantages?

Doing my homework on Altezza

hansc

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
KL/WP
Visit site
think better for u to look for a MT altezza..... IMHO, its not worth doing all the conversion.........

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
yeah, i agree with Hansc.. later on you'll have a lot of complications on your car if you convert from AT to MT.

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Riezal-R...
Q1.. Don't even think about doing a conversion..just wasting yr $$$ and in return you will feel even more frustration..u will bang yr head and say " I shouldn't have done it".
Better save yr money and go buy a 6 Speed Manual..and if you are into real power..strap on a turbo unit..hehehe.

Q2..Yes an aftermarket ECU like the Apexi PowerFC and HKS Vpro can go a long way to prepare your car for later modification stages..with a good tuner..you will improve the low torque response. The stock NA Altezza sucks in the low range.

If you are real serious abot improving yr low end range..go see William at Trial. Tell him what you are looking for and he will provide you with the options available.
I have installed a PowerFc in my car..a HKS Hi-Power Silent muffler..new improve fuel pump..and tuning done by William..the low end response for my car is very very much better than before and without any sacrifice in fuel consumption. Of course all of these comes with a price..hehehe.
Hope this answer some of yr questions...

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
Q1.. Don't even think about doing a conversion..just wasting yr $$$ and in return you will feel even more frustration..u will bang yr head and say " I shouldn't have done it".
Better save yr money and go buy a 6 Speed Manual..and if you are into real power..strap on a turbo unit..hehehe.
Problem is there isnt many MT models out there. Anyways, I just needed to know whether it was feasible or not for the Altezza. I know nothing about this car. Besides, if I wanted real power, I wouldn't be looking at an Altezza.

Q2..Yes an aftermarket ECU like the Apexi PowerFC and HKS Vpro can go a long way to prepare your car for later modification stages..with a good tuner..you will improve the low torque response. The stock NA Altezza sucks in the low range.
Glad to know its possible. I have not driven an Altezza yet, but i've seen its power at low-end. Not impressed.

I have installed a PowerFc in my car..a HKS Hi-Power Silent muffler..new improve fuel pump..and tuning done by William..the low end response for my car is very very much better than before and without any sacrifice in fuel consumption. Of course all of these comes with a price..hehehe.
Is that all that can be done to improve low-end torque? Or was there a financial restriction at the time? What sort of cost involved for doing something like you did?

And Yes, your post was helpful. Appreciate it.

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
There are 6MT Altezzas out there that are for sale..used and unreg. So u really need to look b4 u committ to buy one. The big question is that "Have u bought yr Altezza yet???"
The next question is what are you looking for in terms of "performance" and what is yr budget???
This mod could easily cost you between 8-9K...
It is all about what you can and cannot afford ....

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
So far I have not come across a 6MT model. But I have only looked at the obvious places (forums, classifieds, motor trader). Paid a visit to some import car dealers, most of them have AT models. I'm still window shopping.

I'm not looking for crazy performance, coz if I was - Altezza would not be on my shopping list. I'm looking for a comfortable sports saloon with good potential - one that would be worth doing the 'standard' mods (ECU tuning, exhaust, bolt-ons) from time to time. Was looking at the E46 before, but worried abt long-term maintenance.

Budget? Well I dont intend to do everything at once. Planning for a more gradual upgrade of the car - so it would keep me occupied for a few years at least. 'Project car' so to speak.

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
If you are looking for the looks..then the Altezza has the "look". Most of us Altezzarians here knows the short coming of the 5AT but most of us like the "look" of the RS200Z and an AT would be most suitable for driving in the Klang Valley traffic. The Altezza top end performance is fantastic and I had driven my car at above the 180km/h a few times and the you won't even feel it.
I had been looking for the 325I Beemer (just like u) b4 I bought my Altezza, but was put off by the high maintenance cost that comes with it.
I would advise you to pace yrself and cater the mods according to yr budget and not rush into anything.
But if you are looking for a comfortable sports saloon with potential for upgrades..then the Altezza RS200Z is def one of the car you should put on yr shopping list.

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
If you are looking for the looks..then the Altezza has the "look".
I love the front-end of the Altezza. Still not 'outdated' until today. Unforunately, I dont fancy the rear-end (specifically the lights, despite that being the Altezza trademark). Are there aftermarket rear lights with different design? Perhaps LED lights or something not so 'bulat'.

Most of us Altezzarians here knows the short coming of the 5AT but most of us like the "look" of the RS200Z and an AT would be most suitable for driving in the Klang Valley traffic.
What exactly is the shortcomings? Besides bad pick-up. I don't mind AT, if it has power (eg: a E46 6-cylinder 325i)

The Altezza top end performance is fantastic and I had driven my car at above the 180km/h a few times and the you won't even feel it.
I'm not a high-speed freak. More interested in low-end/mid-range torque. My older car was a B16B VTEC, which fits that purpose - so I'm looking for something like that. I rarely drive above 200km/h coz its scary (even more scary if you cant feel it!)

I had been looking for the 325I Beemer (just like u) b4 I bought my Altezza, but was put off by the high maintenance cost that comes with it.
But E46 has gotta be one of the best looking cars in its price range. Beautiful.

I would advise you to pace yrself and cater the mods according to yr budget and not rush into anything.
Agreed. But I need to know the potential of the engine & transmission before I buy it. I'm already sold on the looks.

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
Bro.. wait and see and you'll eventually find a 6MT up for sale :_: Actually, there are LED lights for the rear end but it would not look so nice as the original ones.. If you do not like the clear lights then get a cover for it..

If you want torque, get a manual, do all 1st stage mods and eventually go on to turbo. that will satisfy your hunger for torque for the moment.. before you go power crazy haha..

the potential of the engine and transmission(manual) is there.. go look in the net and you can find overseas tuners making lots of BHP with their car.. If you still like the Altezza but still power crazy, you can opt for a conversion for a 1JZ engine.. =)

So.. the only shortcoming for the car now is the famous crappy low-torque.. other than that its worth your money..

PS: manual manual manual!!! xD

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
Actually, there are LED lights for the rear end but it would not look so nice as the original ones.. If you do not like the clear lights then get a cover for it..
Even with the cover I don't like it. I don't mind the clear lights, the insides can still be sprayed. Its just that red color circle light that I don't like. Prefer a red rectangle or like any other normal car.

If you want torque, get a manual, do all 1st stage mods and eventually go on to turbo. that will satisfy your hunger for torque for the moment.. before you go power crazy haha..
If I were to take it that far, I think a supercharged AT should be fine. Gonna take me years to save up that much cash.

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
but a supercharger is gonna cost more of a bomb than turbo. But it's still more reliable than turbos.. But still.. we recommend manual.

Well for the lights, its a trademark to Lexus, Altezzas and us. Can't change it. =) It's what separates us from the other cars and something that resembles our car.

WLA3366

Known Member
Jul 7, 2006
www.friendster.com
Why Hectic?

Ask Brian MA!... He already converted his Altezza to Manual, perhaps he can tell you more on the technical parts.

Cheers
:shades_smile:

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
I think the only way to convince yrself if the Altezza is a car for you is too go out and test drive one. Life is all about RISK!!!!..advise can go so far only..and advise at times can be loopsided...You can go on and ask and ask...end of the day where will it get you...if still undecided..then the Altezza is not for you..You would be better off keeping your mula $$$ in the bank...Just my 2cents bro..no offence.

Riezal-R

500 RPM
Oct 14, 2004
KL
www.art-evo.com
Yep. Test driving one soon. Just gotta get the research done first. Coz once I drive it and happen to fall in love with it, I won't be able to sleep at night until I have one parked in my porch.