where to tune?

DDOLINK

Known Member
Mar 16, 2006
my father owns a Honda Accord 96 codename SM4 if i'm not mistaken..the problem is the car is now lost it powers and consume a lot of fuel..so, i need help from all Honda sifus here where can i tune back the engine for a cheap price? my father check one workshop in Shah Alam for tuning and they quoted RM2000..i think it's not a reasonable price..pls help me thanx:regular_smile:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
my father owns a Honda Accord 96 codename SM4 if i'm not mistaken..the problem is the car is now lost it powers and consume a lot of fuel..so, i need help from all Honda sifus here where can i tune back the engine for a cheap price? my father check one workshop in Shah Alam for tuning and they quoted RM2000..i think it's not a reasonable price..pls help me thanx:regular_smile:

Seriously, tuning has its benefits, but I don't think sending a car that won't idle/drive properly on the stock ecu with the stock engine will result in any benefit, because:

I don't think tuning can cure 11 year old engine parts that have seen a lot of wear and tear.. but if it works out, let me know.. sure is cheaper than buying all those parts that are worn and replacing them.. Hehehe ... this last part, not so seriously.

Last edited:

DDOLINK

Known Member
Mar 16, 2006
2k being quoted to tune what?
there must be some base for that kind of price.
my father said they will check every part of the engine..but, the car needs to tune for better fuel consumption and make it power just like new..i don't think there's part of the engine need to be change or replace

DDOLINK

Known Member
Mar 16, 2006
Seriously, tuning has its benefits, but I don't think sending a car that won't idle/drive properly on the stock ecu with the stock engine will result in any benefit, because:

I don't think tuning can cure 11 year old engine parts that have seen a lot of wear and tear.. but if it works out, let me know.. sure is cheaper than buying all those parts that are worn and replacing them.. Hehehe ... this last part, not so seriously.
most the parts are really in good condition..i believe it just out of tune..u see, my father owns the car for 11 years, only send for services but not tuning..tried several workshop but they don't really know how to tune Honda..what they said is must send to the factory back

Enthusiast

500 RPM
Oct 10, 2005
maybe tuning like valve adjustments.....timing.....etc those can be done very cheap....under rm100......don't get conned by all the potong shops out there.......

DDOLINK

Known Member
Mar 16, 2006
maybe tuning like valve adjustments.....timing.....etc those can be done very cheap....under rm100......don't get conned by all the potong shops out there.......
yes u are right, that's what i mean..RM2000 for tuning what the heck are they doing? if for that amount they tune and dump in performance parts inside i wouldn't mind

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
most the parts are really in good condition..i believe it just out of tune..u see, my father owns the car for 11 years, only send for services but not tuning..tried several workshop but they don't really know how to tune Honda..what they said is must send to the factory back
Thing is, I roughly understand how OBD-1 closed loop works, and they can really tune themselves at part throttle. The WOT is where it switches to open loop, where it doesn't tune itself, but rather rely on the maps that the factory pre-programmed into the ECU, and this is the only point where you may feel the car feels 'out of tune' due to various wear and tear (or maybe carbon buildup?)

I'm not sure what the you've heard, but I'm sure if you go to the authorised honda service centre and ask for a remapping/tune.. I think they will give you blank looks.

What they will do is try restore the engine to the factory condition, so that the car runs and drives properly.

Well, that is my opinion, and if you feel that retuning will return the car to it's original performance state, then by all means do so, it's your car after all, and I assume you posted here to get opinions on tuning, or confirming what you believe in.

Now, if you say that you plonked in loads of performance parts and not seeing the 'performance', then maybe tuning might be a good choice for you.

Like enthusiast say, maybe 'tuning' things like valve adjustments/setting valve lash or change filter and other normal maintainance procedures will help, rather than an ECU remapping/piggyback unit.

Some call it tuning, some call blueprinting.. I call it maintainance.. so kinda long story behind it.

Last edited:

DDOLINK

Known Member
Mar 16, 2006
Thing is, I roughly understand how OBD-1 closed loop works, and they can really tune themselves at part throttle. The WOT is where it switches to open loop, where it doesn't tune itself, but rather rely on the maps that the factory pre-programmed into the ECU, and this is the only point where you may feel the car feels 'out of tune' due to various wear and tear (or maybe carbon buildup?)

I'm not sure what the you've heard, but I'm sure if you go to the authorised honda service centre and ask for a remapping/tune.. I think they will give you blank looks.

What they will do is try restore the engine to the factory condition, so that the car runs and drives properly.

Well, that is my opinion, and if you feel that retuning will return the car to it's original performance state, then by all means do so, it's your car after all, and I assume you posted here to get opinions on tuning, or confirming what you believe in.

Now, if you say that you plonked in loads of performance parts and not seeing the 'performance', then maybe tuning might be a good choice for you.

Like enthusiast say, maybe 'tuning' things like valve adjustments/setting valve lash or change filter and other normal maintainance procedures will help, rather than an ECU remapping/piggyback unit.

Some call it tuning, some call blueprinting.. I call it maintainance.. so kinda long story behind it.
thanks man for giving me the true pic..what i want is the car came back to it's normal factory settings..so, where do u recommend to do it?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
thanks man for giving me the true pic..what i want is the car came back to it's normal factory settings..so, where do u recommend to do it?
This one, hattech knows better.. he started a reputable workshops thread here in the zth honda forums..

I think you can search it up.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sifoos arnd need assistance,
What are the major difference/s if I do change my siemens ECu to a MMC ECU on my 4G15??
I have one MMC injector kit in hand-if the difference not going to be alot different then it would not be worthwhile changing?
PLease enlighten me as I am new to ECU and stuffs like these!
Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience