NEW SATRIA R3 Topic

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
yep the public mindset...

but they can be changed.

for example look at subaru in the US.

early 90's it was known as a cheap car manufacturer who builds boring small 4wd cars for the folks who works at farms.

then it decided to bring the WRX to America. every pundit thought "who's going to buy a 4 door turbo car? sedans are not sporty.."
But the WRX had america by storm... as they say and the rest is history.

Subaru is now synonym with performance and forced mitsubishi to bring the evo to america to counter the WRX.

see mindsets can be changed... with exiting products !

Proton can do that too!!

glee

Known Member
Originally posted by alexz@Dec 21 2004, 13:53
yep the public mindset...

but they can be changed.

for example look at subaru in the US.

early 90's it was known as a cheap car manufacturer who builds boring small 4wd cars for the folks who works at farms.

then it decided to bring the WRX to America. every pundit thought "who's going to buy a 4 door turbo car? sedans are not sporty.."
But the WRX had america by storm... as they say and the rest is history.

Subaru is now synonym with performance and forced mitsubishi to bring the evo to america to counter the WRX.

see mindsets can be changed... with exiting products !

Proton can do that too!!
totally in agreement with you alexz.

i think for proton, all they need to do is deliver a superior product. the mindsets will change automatically after that. They still have a 'captive' audience after all.

riggy

Known Member
Oct 1, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
agree about mindset...as i said earlier...i own a proton and i love it...but question is, after 2000, is it worth to buy a product with so many flaws in it? price, quality, build quality are issues. Are there perodua bashers aside from it being small and of supposedly low quality materials used? not alot compared to proton. why? is it coz proton was the first? or is it coz perodua inherited disclipine/ work ethics from daihatsu and ultimately the shareholders of daihatsu, toyota? or...too many captains in proton trying to navigate the vessel, proton? one consultant told me that it was a problem for proton when they implemented too many work examples into its structure..imagine mitsubishi base for the factory, vw for production line, toyota for vendor sourcing, honda for R&D but NO proper integration? being rojak isn't good...imagine the waja...you engineer the 1.6 to fit a mitsubishi 1.6, but the 1.8 to fit a renault 1.8...imagine the cost of retooling the chassis to fit either engine....mountings are different...etc...how much cost goes up? how much of the quality issues get settled? ...look at the perdana...my mamak has better tablecloths than the sunshade of the latest v6....after at least a year of ppl owning the latest 'alfa-look' perdana...did they listen to the complaints? they couldnt even force their vendors to come up with better products..how can they help in re-inventing themselves to be the next SUBARU in America?

regards

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Mr. Future CEO of Proton,

Price is a very personal and subjective thing. A person who buys an R3 may think a Vios is a waste of money, and vice versa.

We didn't buy the R3 simply because of build quality either. We know what to expect. Or rather, our expectations were placed in other areas.

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
oh abt the quality... my parents wanted to get our own perdana V6 after using one as a company car. they wanted to buy the new "alfa-look" version. i insisted they get the "mitsubishi-look" V6, coz i've driven the new one all over malaysia once (a few cars at once so got to shuffle between them) and its quality is very poor with cheap plastics and very fragile interior. so with they settled with a 2002 perdana. now they are glad they did not buy the new one coz they have seen themselves their unsatisfied friends new perdana V6.

its not that they cant do a decent car. i think the first few wiras were built with very good quality. i know they can do it (oh yeah the proton company has the highest profit per car in the WORLD!!! it was published in the newspaper not to long ago).

the question is are they willing to sacrifice a little bit of profit for improved quality of their products (not to mention their reputation) ???

you cant blame others (vendors etc etc) for the quality. it was proton who picked the vendors in the first place right?

igor_is300

Dec 29, 2004
.: Tsukuba :.
Visit site
one of my friends booked R3... while me still driving mom's kancil.. ^_^

igor_is300

Dec 29, 2004
Visit site
hahhaa..u wish.. :P i already persuaded him to join this forum..but he's not 'ricer' oops 'racer' type hehehe :lol: ..anyway i wish i own his car..too bad no money liow.. :(

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
No need to be ricer/racer to join this forum. ZTH is a place for everyone to learn more about their cars and share their experiences.

igor_is300

Dec 29, 2004
Visit site
hehehe joking lah.. anyway i will persuade him 1 more time.. :) after he gets his r3..

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by igor_is300@Dec 29 2004, 22:19
hehehe joking lah.. anyway i will persuade him 1 more time.. :) after he gets his r3..
Hahah understood. It's important for him to also check out our cars and know what problem spots to look for when he gets his.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hie to all of you :) ~

Please help me fill in this academic survey for my research - for my studies? Pleaseeee?! :)

I've 378 respondent so far, and still counting on... Need 644 respondent :slug:

Any help from you guys will be deeply appreciated...

Kindly click the link below to proceed to the survey page ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience