jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Guys ,
im good in understanding engines mostly mitsubishis
im entering the Nissan world soon
i got an old school for transplanting a new heart
I am interested in RB20DET but i find that in the websites in google people PRO the SR20DET more, why is that so ?

Is the parts for RB20 aftermarket parts i mean not available ?
Is the upgradability of the RB20 easy ? i want to create a 300hp machine with this , dont worry guys u dont have to start from the beginning by explaining about fueling , tuning and such , im well aware about it.
What do you guys advise, a inline 6 machine or 4 cyclinder machine.
What are the variation models of the engines, what the best bang of the buck.

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
both engines also easy to find cheap parts, it depends on what "old school" car u are using....

RB series are heavier of course, and it will effect the weight distribution of your car, but are more cheaper to buy, SR engines are lighter and the four cyl setup is a good balance for your car

both engines can easily reach 290whp, but to go beyond that, u will need a good piggyback ECU with a bigger AFM and bigger cc injectors, or directly go for stand alone system

and both engine also got lots of ppl who are "PRO" in its tuning and upgrading, so no worries....

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
For 6 cylinder engines, anything below 2.5L will be weak.

If it must be a 2L, go for the SR20DET. If you like the sound of 6 cyliners, at the very least, an RB25DET.

Just think, all the 6 cylinder 2L, NA or turbo, are there any trully fast ones?
Eterna TT
Perdana V6
BMW 2L inline 6
Cefiro

And the quicker 6 cyliners:
1JZ/2JZ
RB26DETT
E36/46 M3
Z33 350Z
and of course, any 911. All 2.5 and up.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
found out that rb20 halfcut is around 2XXX , sr20 is going for 4k+
lots of diffrence in price ;)

FT8:yeah notice the more powerfull engines come from 2.5 n up for 6cyclinder
RB25 is not 2.5 ?

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
yeah, RB20 is cheap to run, cheap to maintain, but the torque is rubbish, SR20 cost a bomb, but it's worth it for the easy to gain HP, and the weight is way lighter than a 6 cyl, if u have the cash, just go for it....

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
I think for F8 the only thing fast is a Forcedindution 8 cylinder
haha.

atuf

Known Member
Jan 2, 2006
really aa 2.0l 6cyl not good.. can't go fast meh..?hmm no wonderla..will up grade soon

skyther

Jul 19, 2006
Perth, WA
Hrmmm. Personally I don't like SRs, I'd rather take a CA18 anyday if it wasn't for the lack of upgrade options.

SR20DET - builds revs quicker, aluminium alloy head + block = lighter but weaker, easier to find mods as it was available up till '99. Really depends whether you get an early red top or a black top though, black top has more options but apparently VCT makes it a little harder to work on

RB20DET - more torquey than SRs but still f**k all compared to higher displacement RBs, cast iron block = heavy but stronger (and takes more boost ^_^), was phased out a decade ago so may have difficulty finding mods even for ECCS silvertops.

Both need serious work to make big HP, you'll need bigger injectors for anything more than 200rwhp. 290rwhp "easily achievable" on an RB20DET is ridiculous, most people max out at 250-270rwhp with aftermarket management with a GT25/GT28 on a mild tune. Anything higher needs a worked bottom end and putting that sort of money into an RB20 is plain silly because an RB25 will achieve the same for less. 300rwhp on a RB20 /w a stock bottom end *might* be possible with cams + ~20psi of boost and relatively high compression but it leaves very little margin for a poor tune.

I dunno about SRs, people do stupid things with them but they don't seem to last. All depends on chassis I suppose, for a Silvia/old skool Datto I'd go FJ/CA/SR, Skyline or Ceffy I'd go RB. Stock RB20DET is an impressively smooth drive though. And um, depends what gearbox you're going to run too.

... and V8s sark balls. :_:

Last edited:

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
skyther said:
Hrmmm. Personally I don't like SRs, I'd rather take a CA18 anyday if it wasn't for the lack of upgrade options.

SR20DET - builds revs quicker, aluminium alloy head + block = lighter but weaker, easier to find mods as it was available up till '99. Really depends whether you get an early red top or a black top though, black top has more options but apparently VCT makes it a little harder to work on

RB20DET - more torquey than SRs but still f**k all compared to higher displacement RBs, cast iron block = heavy but stronger (and takes more boost ^_^), was phased out a decade ago so may have difficulty finding mods even for ECCS silvertops.

Both need serious work to make big HP, you'll need bigger injectors for anything more than 200rwhp. 290rwhp "easily achievable" on an RB20DET is ridiculous, most people max out at 250-270rwhp with aftermarket management with a GT25/GT28 on a mild tune. Anything higher needs a worked bottom end and putting that sort of money into an RB20 is plain silly because an RB25 will achieve the same for less. 300rwhp on a RB20 /w a stock bottom end *might* be possible with cams + ~20psi of boost and relatively high compression but it leaves very little margin for a poor tune.

I dunno about SRs, people do stupid things with them but they don't seem to last. All depends on chassis I suppose, for a Silvia/old skool Datto I'd go FJ/CA/SR, Skyline or Ceffy I'd go RB. Stock RB20DET is an impressively smooth drive though. And um, depends what gearbox you're going to run too.

... and V8s sark balls. :_:
i think u googled on these info dude......

have u ever, i mean on the real side, ever tuned and mod any of those engines mentioned above.....?

with the right cash and mechanics, anything can be done with those engines, even the RB20det, although 300whp has some difficulties, but it could be done even without a stand alone system, and 290whp is FAIRLY EASY, it only needs bigger injectors (any injectors above 300cc will do) and a good piggyback, and a slightly bigger turbine (slightly bigger than the RB25 turbo for example the HKS GT2510), or with cams and a good flow of air and fuel

and about your comment on the RB20DET - more torquey than SRs, you did google that out didn't u.....:emoticon_U: ????

SR's torque is way better than the RB

skyther

Jul 19, 2006
Perth, WA
ROFL. Um, FYI I *had* a silvertop RB20. Yeah ur so smart though, I copied and pasted from Google. Google is awesome, learn how to read a dyno chart then come back and tell me about who makes more torque.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
I thought stock s13 sr20det vs stock RB20DET. Apparently there's more torque from the RB20 on paper.
But in the real world somehow the sr20 has more grunt.
Btw skyther why does v8 suck balls? What v8? Old 3.5 Buick Rover V8?
Ford Cleaveland350? 1UZFE?

Aiyah as far as i'm concern to keep the CMNG tradition going, SR20 is a pariah engine.....Just like what unker doremon says. Lousy and pariah engine. Very Powderfull... Dont play play, better pray pray.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Guys,

i would be sending my putra to the workshop today and i would need some advise.

recently, car started to smoke and ended i changed my wheel bearing and the disc on the left hand side cause it jam
before that 2 days , i changed clutch pressure plate and its other part.
the mechanic said my driveshaft going to kong soon and right hand side disc is bent.
and on the highway recently, i shot up to 140km/h and the whole driver door started to vibrate and wobble very badly ( it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience