Why My 20V run noisily...

impreza_lanz2

Known Member
Sep 23, 2005
gOmbak
hai guy...
wanna ur help.....dis metter happen to my engine....
evry morning i warmup my engine b4 driving....once the engine come to hot (temp indicator)...sound like knocking comeout from my engine....is that normal for 20v silver top...
Plz help me...

impreza_lanz2

Known Member
Sep 23, 2005
gOmbak
not 'tektektek'...i thing 'tooktooktook'....
dat 'tektektek'....while starting my engine..sound tektektek is there...dat 1 is 'tepet' sound right?

yolk

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
PJ
Visit site
20v doesn't have tappets .. most likely is vvt pulley

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
If its lower tone, then could be valve hitting the cylinder, could be crankshaft bearing out liao. IUf high tone then could be tappets or VVT. If you are running diesel engine..... hahaha

impreza_lanz2

Known Member
Sep 23, 2005
gOmbak
how come the valve hitting the piston?...in spite of marking timingbelt n crankshaft pully still not moving....
eem...VVT could be?...it that the vvt damage?

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
I don't know how you classify damaging sounds. If its high tone tik tik or tek tek sound, usuallu its tappets, VVT mechanism, belts and bearings. If its low tone tok tok or thuk thuk sounds then means likely failure liao.

i indicate "IF" crankshaft bearings or shims or possible valve hitting cylinder based on the sound. If it is lower tone. It can't be higher tone because those components are at the lower parts of the engine. Any hits in the parts would channel all the vibration through the engine and car body. If you have engine sthethescope is better.

I suspect these items because over night engine oil would go low down in the oil pan. If you don't have enough engine oil would only make the sound last longer and louder.

I could be wrong. But this is based on my experience. Some from my engine some from the cars my mechanic fixes.

It could just be small noises that made you paranoid. hehehe. In the end if its hard to know, get your mechanic to hear it. Maybe you could record the sound with you handphone and put up a link. <--- (Good idea or not?):shades_smile:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
hmmm...

i) VVT pulley...use thicker engin oil, my eliminate the sound a little bit...if still can't change the VVT pulley...like sifoo yolk said...
ii) but the sound u said is "tok tok tok"...revving during idling, how is the sound ?...still there...?
iii) crankshaft bearing...physical look...during idling, rev the engine and see if there any white smoke came out...if yes...maybe piston ring or crankshaft bearing loosen...like sifoo netmatrix said...crankshaft bearing...

good luck...

impreza_lanz2

Known Member
Sep 23, 2005
gOmbak
here the sound..but not too clear....

bro...while running (idle)..no smoke come out from engine....
maybe my VVT pully got problem...should i replace that thing?
i think i get the problem is.hehe-VVT pully.....(tru ur info...n both sifu here)....yesterday im adding oil treatmnt to my engine..then..that sound is not loudness...but that sound still there..
btway...try to hear the sound first..then tel mee wat do u think?...

ok bro n sifu thanks a lot for info...

Last edited:

nnik

3,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2005
Lembah Klang
re

chinozie said:
errr...what type of audio file is that...???
Try to use real player coz window media player for sure canot support that file...

Sound not so clear....

I heard that sound from 3 of my fren's cars using SVT ngine..all same ketuk ketuk ketuk..but dono y..mainly after tarik..

impreza_lanz2

Known Member
Sep 23, 2005
gOmbak
nnik said:
Try to use real player coz window media player for sure canot support that file...

Sound not so clear....

I heard that sound from 3 of my fren's cars using SVT ngine..all same ketuk ketuk ketuk..but dono y..mainly after tarik..
bro..dat sound come out just warmup my engine....if after tarik...it more more louder...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The next generation of the WRX could be appearing as an entirely separate model from the Impreza range on which it is currently based on. Expected to be introduced in 2014, both the WRX and the Impreza will be based on the same platform but with enough changes to the WRX model to warrant it being labeled a separate model.

One of the biggest changes to the proposed WRX model will be a shorter wheelbase that...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience