Tyre choices.

integramania

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
sorry but i'm not that familiar which one...can u recommend

Am thinking of Hancook RS-2 but heard a lot of Toyo...but not so familiar with the models yet

Prefer street type tires like RS-2 and AD07

Last edited:

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
toyo r888 it is, same criteria as AD07 but grippier in dry.

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
integramania,
aiikksss???wat did i do?was talking to J101 ler.......ehhehehe.....
hmmm..its a wet day 2day...hafta take out my slicks pulak dah..chait!!!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Hmm... now itching for tires (as both sets of the RE-01 has worn out.. and flipped over once already.. which means the tires are running about 25000kms per set) Amazingly, with not so hard driving.. I managed to make the set last about 25000K. Thing is.. When this thing hits the wear limit, you can still run it due to the amount of big rubber blocks they have.. but you start to lose the grippiness, since it doesn't grip very well ATM, once they hit the wear limit on the tires.

Wanna go with R888, because they aren't that expensive compared to RE-01R... but I heard the wear rate is like 15-20miles? (WTF? Is this even believable?)

(>_<)? What to do ah?

Friend suggesting Toyo Proxes T1R... but those probably not as grippy...
I'm wanting some semis because although I don't do track driving, I don't brake at the corners either..(just kidding) :P

But considering I didn't start ordering earlier, will probably have to buy whatever that's easily can get. (>_<)

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Wah, RE-01 can last up to 250,000 kms? My EG's been running on ST - 115's since June last year, still havew plenty of threads left, but the 2 front tyres oledi getting a bit bald on the inner part. Will rotate and re-align 'em next week though.

I love the ST - 115's as they offer good grip on track days, daily driving and still safe for wet - weather roads as well. Thinking of upgrading to diff set of tyres, mebbe choices like yours when I can afford a 2nd car for daily driving and keep the EG for late night fun and some weekend SIC hot laps.

Say bro, can u PM me about your B20 project, interested to learn more lah.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
ace79 said:
Wah, RE-01 can last up to 250,000 kms? My EG's been running on ST - 115's since June last year, still havew plenty of threads left, but the 2 front tyres oledi getting a bit bald on the inner part. Will rotate and re-align 'em next week though.

I love the ST - 115's as they offer good grip on track days, daily driving and still safe for wet - weather roads as well. Thinking of upgrading to diff set of tyres, mebbe choices like yours when I can afford a 2nd car for daily driving and keep the EG for late night fun and some weekend SIC hot laps.

Say bro, can u PM me about your B20 project, interested to learn more lah.
oops!! I meant 25,000kms... not 25000K!! ROFL!! typo! sorry!!! Mine wears really well.. at 200Kpa, (checked every week) it wears evenly.. of course, my front camber is only 0.5 degrees negative (just measured when doing alignment two days ago), versus the rears, which are 2 degrees negative (usually). (currenly left side is showing 1.54, which cannot be fixed with spacers, and I'm not going to take a grinder and grind .5mm off the mounts. still pondering what might be the problem.. perhaps bushing worn?) was going to removing the left rear arm assembly today, but didn't manage to complete it. But that's my best guess for now <-- how I spent my deepavali holiday.. sad, isn't it? :P

Even so, my rears wear evenly as well.. with no apparent preference to eat the insides. (probably because I don't go fast on the straights, or launch a lot.

Actually the shop has ST115's, but according to my friend, from the way I like to take the corners.. it won't have as much grip as the RE-01Rs or the Azenis RT.

Anyway, running this kinds of tires usually means keeping two sets rims (eight rimslah!). One for the look factor (nice rims that you install normal tires for driving around), and another for those days you feel like 'pushing' a little harder (long distance midnight/late night driving across states).. still cheaper than buying a second car.. and I run non racing clutches (organic) for better feel when driving in the rain.. I still don't know how people can manage driving fast in the rain with a racing clutch that doesn't slip at all. And with the thin materials... I don't fancy taking out the G/Box every now and then either.

Some of the people who say they can get RE-01Rs for me quote RM700 each! And some that do offer cheaper says they can only source 16" ones.. which are also RM700+! Crazy! 195/55R15 RE-01Rs should be around 400-500 each! since it's only about 11,300 yen at retail stores in Japan... and considering shipping charges and taxes.. cannot be that expensive mah?

Want to untung oso don't kill peoplelah.. I'm not buying ONE tire, you know? <- Rant!

Anyway, the wear on the RE-01s are because I've been using them everyday for the past 4 months. They suck when they're cold, but doesn't take much to warm them up, and they don't overheat easily.

Anyway.. I've used tires that can last more than a year, but Malaysian weather usually makes them useless (hardened) way before the year is up.

Anyway.. if it's hard to source or the tires I want cannot get, maybe I should use my other set earlier (was saving them for this monsoon season, cheapo yokohama tires, has big blocks, noisy like hell in the dry, because of its huge grooves. impulsively bought because wet grip isn't that great with semis, esp with deep puddles in the east coast)

Last edited:

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Ah, to me, ST - 115's fit my bill nicely. There's one road that I take to work every day. It's like a almost a full round corner, and I usually take it at 90 kph up to 110 kph if the road is really clear ( especially on a Sunday morning ), and the ST - 115's never fail me. Very2 little understeer, plwnty of grip and no screeching sound, just some soft scrubbing.

When I had my 3XV 250 stroker, I used to take the corner at 110 - 120 kph with my knees only a few inches of the road ( which is made from those red batu wan, not your normal roads! )

Maybe Advan A048 when the car is full night fun + SIC sessions perhaps?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
actually I like understeer, since I try not scrub off much speed when cornering. I dunno how to put in in words, but you have to be creative when taking corners. Strange thing is, for a front wheel drive, I think my car oversteers quite a bit... so much so that I have to turn the steering only a little, or I start scrubbing off too much speed.. in a way, I can say that using semis can really show how terrible I drive, since taking the wrong line will result in a lot of speed getting scrubbed off, and turning too much to compensate will result in a lot of body roll that will not allow for a clean exit out of a turn. at 90 degrees turning of the wheel, my speed starts to drop like mad, even if I keep the same throttle position. So using the tires, I try to get away with the least steering possible to maintain the speed throughout the corner.

Oh, there was once I almost flipped the car when I avoided a cat on the road.. the RE-01 tires are damn grippy! scary!! next time any cats that crossed my path won't be so lucky! I avoid, I die, better the cat die than me.. :P

Anyway.. I might know a little about engines, but in driving... I am a pure amateur. I think akuma knows about driving more than I do, since he's a regular track driver.

Anyway... having one wheel up in the air occasionally when hitting bumps on the road, I finally see the need for an LSD... cannot apply throttle when the car hits a bump... (>_<)

Quaife is 4K, but maintainance free
Kaaz is 2K thereabouts, but clutch system, so require maintainance occasionally.

but.. b20b parts not complete yet.. aiyoh!! As you can see, I'm also regular modder with cash concerns.. :P

Last edited:

sasuke

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 23, 2004
Currently, using AD07... not too satisfied... Grip are not bad on dry road, but wet don play play... :) Good for cornering, drag... so so... Got my AD07 205/45R16 for 370 each.

I really want to try out RE-01R but very hard to get here and not cheap.

Coz, my car is daily driving car. Thinking of getting semi slick on different front rims only for occasional use. Semi slick will use A048 or Silverstone.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
You're not the first person to complain about AD07's wet grip.. :)

Anyway... probably the only way I'm getting those RE-01R is by mail order this time.

Those R888's are looking more delicious by the minute... who cares about the wear.. I think I'm going to get those.. I'll report later on how it goes.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Having this problem where if my car don't start for 2 days, i will need to jumpstart it... happen for 3 weekends in a row...

Changed the battery to AC Delco MF but still same problem... switch to another AC Delco batt but problem still persists....

However, when car starts, charging show 13.0 Volt .... sometimes when idle at traffic light.. drops to like 12.2 Volt .. and even once to 11.5 Volt ....

And when engine is off, its about 12.4V only ... is this a sign that my alternator is a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience