woofer box

mivec_nos

Known Member

mivec_nos

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
hi, i need advice from audio sifu here..
is it important to fit the woofer to the woofer box size that recommended from the woofer manufacturer?
it i fit the woofer to the box which had lower Vas CF which recommended by the manufacturer any harm?

Kippo

Known Member

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
box volume recommended by OEM is for failsafe and decent performance reasons.

u can use any box u like as long u know how it will sound like and effect it has in ur sub reliability.

but how can u adjust Vas by using different box since Vas is the sub suspension compliance?

mivec_nos

Known Member

mivec_nos

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Kippo said:
box volume recommended by OEM is for failsafe and decent performance reasons.

u can use any box u like as long u know how it will sound like and effect it has in ur sub reliability.

but how can u adjust Vas by using different box since Vas is the sub suspension compliance?
dont get what u mean for the last line..

mivec_nos

Known Member

mivec_nos

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
craziechild said:
i think no harm kua... the manufacture design is used as a reference only.. not must follow one...

cheers...
as far as i know the sound will be different if use on different size of box , if use bigger size box the sound will be much different from small one..

kyheng

1,000 RPM

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Is true, different size will give different sound, ported or vented will give different sound, sealed will give different sound. As some of the acc shop don't know how to calculate the box volume, so they will recommend a standard size box for you. Unless you are kind people of people with 'dog' ears that can know what is 10hz, what is 11hz without using machine then the box size volume and size does matter. A standard ready make ported box will cost as cheap as rm65 plus installation but custom make might be double or triple the price. Depend what we want on ICE, if budget is limited, then go for ready make, else can custom make 1.

convict

Known Member

convict

Known Member
May 31, 2005
Mid Valley

Mr^Mania

Mr^Mania

Jul 26, 2004
Puchong
Visit site
dear mivec_nos,

bout the box enclosure, in a simple way to answer your question is... how loud or how soft u wanna feel the bass? to answer these question is simple, lets talk bout sealed box 1st!!!

sealed box or close box(its a same meaning).
this type of enclosure will bring u more feel on bass, what does i mean is... u feel the bass without any attacking ur heart. bout the size of these enclosure... lets say 1cf enclosure with 2cf enclosure... small enclosure(1cf) will sound deep then the 2cf. the 2cf enclosure will sound more soft and u can feel big bass emaging if ure listen more to sound quality music... i will more suggest u to use sealed box enclosures!!!

in a ported box or vented box!!!
its a opposite meaning with the close box, but the different big and small Cubic Feet(cf) is... small vented box will sound hard and pack while big vented box will sound a bit soft, the different between these 2 type of enclosure is vented box u can feel more vibration and air pack!!! these enclosure type will more to blasting sound and may be good to sound quality sound.

these fact will be good if ure in rite calculation of enclosure, amplifire power, rite frequency, car space, size of woofer and number of woofer driver!!!

cacin

1,000 RPM

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
craziechild said:
ya the sound will differ but it will do no harm to the sub rite? unless stated la..
From what I know, the box size might not matter for a ported box. But, the port tuning frequency does matter. You can't 'ask' a sub to play lower than the port tuning frequency. This will ask the woofer to operate beyond Xmax and cause mechanical failure. However, to get a certain tuning frequency, you'll need a certain length and diameter of the port. So, sometimes, based on the port tuning frequency, you might need to have a very long port that might not actually fit in the sub box size that you plan for. That's why, you might need a subsonic filter when using a ported box.
There was a general formula that can be used. If the box volume is x (for example) it should be sealed box. If it is more than x, it should be ported.
You can try use winisd software to see how will your sub respond in a certain type/size of box.

The other thing would be, what do you actually want your sub do? Does it has a certain low freq that it needs to cover?

Btw, I also heard that you can still use a smaller size box but fill it with polyfill to 'fool' the sub so that it thinks that it is in a bigger box.

hope this helps.

cacin

1,000 RPM

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
mivec_nos said:
dont get what u mean for the last line..
try reading this http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/params02/params.htm#Vas

or better yet, let me paste it here

Vas/Cms Vas represents the volume of air that when compressed to one cubic meter exerts the same force as the compliance (Cms) of the suspension in a particular speaker. Vas is one of the trickiest parameters to measure because air pressure changes relative to humidity and temperature — a precisely controlled lab environment is essential. Cms is measured in meters per Newton. Cms is the force exerted by the mechanical suspension of the speaker. It is simply a measurement of its stiffness. Considering stiffness (Cms), in conjunction with the Q parameters gives rise to the kind of subjective decisions made by car manufacturers when tuning cars between comfort to carry the president and precision to go racing. Think of the peaks and valleys of audio signals like a road surface then consider that the ideal speaker suspension is like car suspension that can traverse the rockiest terrain with race-car precision and sensitivity at the speed of a fighter plane. It’s quite a challenge because focusing on any one discipline tends to have a detrimental effect on the others.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

1. How does this ATF cooler work ? isit same concept with normal oil cooler?

2. Can we use normal oil cooler to be use as ATF cooler ?

3. does this ATF cooler really usefull in M'sia environment and weather? if yes, in what sense ?

4. Where to get ATF cooler in KL/sunway/puchong?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience