Pictures taken using Digicam/DSLR

TauhuTauhu

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2004
Malaysia
Visit site
something like this...
with the lights shining brightly.

looking at this foto, wat would be the correct shutter speed and aperture?

how to match the aperture correctly with the shutter speed?

satria_95 said:
TauhuTauhu,
You mean shots that's got streaks of lights? Mount your camera on a tripod. Then set your shutter speed really slow, maybe 1/2, or 1 second or etc., depending on the kind of effect that you want. As for the aperture (F-number), see what your shutter speed is and then match it accordingly to get the right amount of exposure. The lower the ISO, the better, so to speak.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
evo5229,
It's the JSOC dinner and dance at Sunway Hotel on... erm...18 March 2006, if I'm not mistaken. hehehe The blue MRS is a piece of art, I've to say. hehehe There's so many cars but no good angles to take photos cos the cars are parked like a tin of sardin. hehe

TauhuTauhu,
If you look at the camera view finder, there is a meter something like
(+ve)|-----i------I-----------| (-ve)
This is actually the exposure meter (or that's what I call it). The "i" is actually the indicator. The "I" is the neutral or balanced exposure. Both the left "|" and right "|" are the positive and negative exposure. If the "i" is on the left of the "I", it means the photo will turn out bright. Set your camera mode to "M" which is full manual. Then adjust the aperture and shutter speed till the "i" is in the middle (which is indicated by the "I"). But for night still shots, you would have to experiment with the shutter speed and aperture till you get the right exposure.

After each photo you take from each setting, preview the photo on the camera. Then enable the histogram (like a graph) to see how whether the photo will be bright or not. If it was me, I'd set the aperture to f22 and then try to match the shutter speed with it. At night, I think you may have to use BULB mode, which means you press shutter release one time, the shutter will open. It will close again (therefore capturing the photo) only after you press the shutter release again. However, this may work differently on different cameras. hehehe

It's quite a bit to explain although it's not very difficult to understand. Perhaps we should organize a photography outing for night shooting. I've tried shooting KLCC at night twice already and both times, it was fun. The first time was a whole 6 hours! Started from about 6pm till 12am. Learned some stuff from the other photography sifu. hehehe It'll also be something different rather than always talking about cars. Who would be interested to go for night shooting at KLCC, maybe on saturday evening starting at about 5pm till late? hehehe

Last edited:

TauhuTauhu

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2004
Malaysia
Visit site
Thx alot satria_95.
i just came back from kuching international airport for some shooting.

my mum juz got the new camera yesterday and just now, it was my 1st time using camera with manual settings. quite fun.

the 1st foto is quite blur. i read frm net and it says the iso is too high, causing noisy effect....
the last 3 otos were taken using different WB

i tried many different settings and only some of them came out to be quite ok. here they are:

the quiet KIA at 3am

Last edited:

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
personally, I would leave whitebalance and other stuffs to the computer. they are all set to 0 or centre on my camera. whatever the camera could do to the picture, I believe the computer could do better(just make sure you have a calibrated screen).

only settings I adjust are the flash, exposure, sensitivity, focus, aperture...and ...that's about it I think. the rest like sharpness, whitebalance...let the computer kaotim.

btw, did you use a tripod?

TauhuTauhu

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2004
Malaysia
Visit site
ok thanks. u mean after taking those fotoz, do final touch up with photoshop?
but i duno how to use a photo editing software at all..will start to learn using it.

i dont have a tripod....really sad.

the photoz were taken by supporting the upper part by hand while putting it on a solid surface. either on my car, table, staircase side handbars etc.
i used timer for all shots. i get the correct angle, set timer then once it's pressed, i would hold the camera as firm as i could while waiting for it to capture the foto.

i only use different settings for exposure, ISO and aperture.
for focus i use unlimited/multi focus for all.
coz i read frm the net yesterday before i went out. it says it is suitable for far objects?

personally, I would leave whitebalance and other stuffs to the computer. they are all set to 0 or centre on my camera. whatever the camera could do to the picture, I believe the computer could do better(just make sure you have a calibrated screen).

only settings I adjust are the flash, exposure, sensitivity, focus, aperture...and ...that's about it I think. the rest like sharpness, whitebalance...let the computer kaotim.

btw, did you use a tripod?

TauhuTauhu

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2004
Malaysia
Visit site
sony T9.....damn lousy
limited manual settings...
only good for normal ppl who like small and easy camera.

kenot set aperture and shutter speed seperately.

u juz can increase and decrease the e.v (exposure value) and the shutter speed and aperture are fixed at each e.v value.
ISO can be set between 80 - 640 though

and the maximum exposure u can get is 1 sec! so damn short

limited settings really. only good for normal aim and shoot aplications.

no good. regret buying

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
TauhuTauhu,
Wah, hand held with assistance from surrounding bars and such. cool. hehehe And the use of timer is a smart move too, for night shots. Since you're using a digital compact cam, get those cheap RM50 tripod from Sakure. It'll be sufficient to hold the camera.

Composition for shots 1, 2 are alright. The shot is actually not really that blur. It's just that the lights are over exposed. Maybe you could try maximum f-number and lowering your shutter speed**. Then it'll sort of control the light from over blowing so bright.

Shots 1, 3 and 4 has got too much empty black space. Try filling those black space with more things, like maybe pointing the camera lower and getting more stuff on the ground.

Shot 5 is quite nice. Rather sharp too, other than the over blown light. heh heh

** Since your camera has limited settings, it's quite normal for digital compact cams. It's time to get a Digital SLR camera, like Nikon D70 or Canon 20D, that kinda camera. heh heh

ekinomae

Known Member
Oct 17, 2005
hi guys,

here are some pics for this thread. used Pentax Optio 330GS 3.2 megapix

msafiedin

Known Member
Nov 20, 2004
old camera just play2
interested in photography very much
still learning...
i took this one while walking at the beach few days back

Last edited:

kompak

500 RPM
May 28, 2005
Silver State
fuh....u guys so expert in taking great pictures....

i'll try to put up my own effort in taking pictures...
hope u guys can comment on how i can improve my technique...tq

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A few weeks back, we were at the launch of the new Porsche 911. You can read our report here. At the time of launch, the only prices revealed were the duty free ones - RM430,000 for the Carrera and RM490,000 for the Carrera S...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience