Ogura TX-07 Supercharger

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

I stumbled across the above supercharger model when was out looking for strut bar for my BMW 1JZ. The unit is stripped out from a rear ended and totaled Nissan Micra. This set works very closely like the late Toyota SC12 with magnetic clutch pulley. Maximum boost pressure is at 1.8 bar and maximum RPM is 12,000 RPM. FYI, the Nissan Micra equipped with this supercharger is 2012 version. Quite new to me.

My mechanic reckon this model can be modded into my Lancer GT due to its compact design and the activation can be controlled by switch or RPM based. And i don't need too many modifications other than custom making supercharger mounts and intake manifold to mount the thing up.

Now my question is, if the mod in project is success, how do i control the activation of supercharger and also boost. As far as i know my GB is still in very great health and no visible damages within the gearbox during my last filter and stepper motor change. Gearbox is still very eager to go and quiet after modified with larger transmission cooler. I am not looking at high peak power but low to mid end power to get the car moving.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks,
Ken

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
From years of reading online forum but with no hands on experience with modding;

I think a normal vtec/mivec controller can be used for that function.

Shouldnt adding a supercharger will require different engine mapping and at least a piggy back ecu?
If yes then a piggy back ecu with vtec/mivec controller could possibly does the job.

On the gb, u should find out the torque limit of the gb and see if the expected output after being supercharged is within its operating limit.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
From years of reading online forum but with no hands on experience with modding;

I think a normal vtec/mivec controller can be used for that function.

Shouldnt adding a supercharger will require different engine mapping and at least a piggy back ecu?
If yes then a piggy back ecu with vtec/mivec controller could possibly does the job.

On the gb, u should find out the torque limit of the gb and see if the expected output after being supercharged is within its operating limit.
I have an Unichip ready with Mivec/Vtec controller, the supercharger came with its own mini ECU that will communicate with RPM signal to activate the supercharger. Stock CVT rated at 240 nm at the flywheel. Stock output how ever is around 130 nm. My target is to make 200 nm at the flywheel. Even if i blew up the gearbox, replacing it is cheap and fast as alot of stocks in the market.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I have an Unichip ready with Mivec/Vtec controller, the supercharger came with its own mini ECU that will communicate with RPM signal to activate the supercharger. Stock CVT rated at 240 nm at the flywheel. Stock output how ever is around 130 nm. My target is to make 200 nm at the flywheel. Even if i blew up the gearbox, replacing it is cheap and fast as alot of stocks in the market.
Eh, i read that inspira engine torque is 197Nm. 130Nm is on the wheel?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Seems like u already have all the hardware.

Only concern is the gb durability. Stock, its already handling 197Nm and the limit is 240Nm.
As comparison, the sprintex kit for campro cps running at 0.5bar with ecu+injector+exhaust had a claimed of +51Nm at the wheel.
I think your hardware will easily produce more torque than the gb can handle even at well below the max rated boost.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Seems like u already have all the hardware.

Only concern is the gb durability. Stock, its already handling 197Nm and the limit is 240Nm.
As comparison, the sprintex kit for campro cps running at 0.5bar with ecu+injector+exhaust had a claimed of +51Nm at the wheel.
I think your hardware will easily produce more torque than the gb can handle even at well below the max rated boost.
As i mentioned, stock dyno pulled 130 nm, that's a 67 nm lesser than its declared. My target is to improved it to 200 nm and slowly work my way to 220 nm to avoid blowing up the GB. I am targeting not more than 0.4 bar of boost because the engine volume is large enough to get where i want when the boost came in.

Speedworks turbokit for CVT lancer produced 260 nm, 20 nm more than the GB can handle, and i think they might have tune it down already to avoid killing the customers' GB.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
hmmm sure it can flow enough to feed the 2l?
That i am not very sure, my mechanic reckon an AMR500 can feed any engine from 1.0L to 2.2L. I found the same info on internet and some Aussie lads used AMR500 on their Commodore V6.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
As i mentioned, stock dyno pulled 130 nm, that's a 67 nm lesser than its declared. My target is to improved it to 200 nm and slowly work my way to 220 nm to avoid blowing up the GB. I am targeting not more than 0.4 bar of boost because the engine volume is large enough to get where i want when the boost came in.
I think the 240Nm is the max input the gb can take from the engine...correct me if i am wrong.

If u want to achive 200Nm on wheel then u will need to send about 300Nm to the gb. It can be done with enough boost. Pity that cvt pulley and belt...hahahah.

Anyway this will be an interesting project. Should the gb fail, pls share with us the post mortem of the gb.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I think the 240Nm is the max input the gb can take from the engine...correct me if i am wrong.

If u want to achive 200Nm on wheel then u will need to send about 300Nm to the gb. It can be done with enough boost. Pity that cvt pulley and belt...hahahah.

Anyway this will be an interesting project. Should the gb fail, pls share with us the post mortem of the gb.
There are no justification from anywhere suggesting the max torque the GB can take is either from engine or on-wheel. My witnesses around Ipoh area said that those Turbo CVT Lancers are boosting at 280nm to 300nm and gearbox are still fine.

Assuming the CVT has 35% power losses, 300nm from engine x 0.65 = 197nm, seems about right.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
There are no justification from anywhere suggesting the max torque the GB can take is either from engine or on-wheel. My witnesses around Ipoh area said that those Turbo CVT Lancers are boosting at 280nm to 300nm and gearbox are still fine.

Assuming the CVT has 35% power losses, 300nm from engine x 0.65 = 197nm, seems about right.
at crank... always rated at crank. you gearbox it receiving the raw power out the crankshaft anyway. Whatever the clutch is able to put out, thats typically that the gearbox will be dealing with

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
at crank... always rated at crank. you gearbox it receiving the raw power out the crankshaft anyway. Whatever the clutch is able to put out, thats typically that the gearbox will be dealing with
Got it, will keep the torque output at the wheels below 200 nm for safety reason. May be 180 nm will be good enough for daily, its not a racing car.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
mitevo7 bro... the supercharger on the engine is not a difficult mod. The question is :

- Will the internals hold? Do you need to lower the compression? That's pistons and head gasket money.
- Will the CVT gearbox hold? Most likely not. CVT does not like sudden torque pulls and that's what the SC can give. If you haven't noticed, the CVT acts like a rubber band. Even if you floor it, the thing gradually pulls you after it "shifts down". It's not as instant as manuals or torque converters. A CVT GB for the Lancer/Inspira is expensive - i would know since my ex-sylphy uses the same GB and my almost stock engine almost managed to kill the GB.

Good luck with your fiddling!

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
mitevo7 bro... the supercharger on the engine is not a difficult mod. The question is :

- Will the internals hold? Do you need to lower the compression? That's pistons and head gasket money.
- Will the CVT gearbox hold? Most likely not. CVT does not like sudden torque pulls and that's what the SC can give. If you haven't noticed, the CVT acts like a rubber band. Even if you floor it, the thing gradually pulls you after it "shifts down". It's not as instant as manuals or torque converters. A CVT GB for the Lancer/Inspira is expensive - i would know since my ex-sylphy uses the same GB and my almost stock engine almost managed to kill the GB.

Good luck with your fiddling!
The CVT GB at the junkyard is piling up like a mountain, i can find one with under 1k now.
Slyphy’s GB I think is abit older than what is used on Lancers eventhough its same JATCO. Let me give it a try, the mechanic full understood my requirement hence he never suggested turbo kits other than magnetic clutch type superchargers, he also disregards those full time superchargers as he thinks those will definitely detonate the gearbox.

Going to test fitting now this Saturday !

Reactions: Izso