Modding 4G18

4GG

4GG

Oct 9, 2019
Currently my engine health is good. Been running for the past 14 years without any problem. I can hit 180kmh at 6500 rpm on 4th gear.
Ma first gear can hit 60kmh at 6500rpm
2nd gear 110kmh at 6500 rpm
3rd gear 150kmh at 6500rpm
4th 180kmh at 6500rpm
5th 220kmh at 6500rpm

Stock Engine

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
4g18 max performance possible ?
We have a resident expert, known as the "fastest waja in Subang... some say Glenmarie" who has turbo charged and more. @Nightstalker1993 mana you?

And you can possible spend 20k on the 4G18 to get a shit ton of performance but would you want to do that? Set a budget la.

4GG

4GG

Oct 9, 2019
We have a resident expert, known as the "fastest waja in Subang... some say Glenmarie" who has turbo charged and more. @Nightstalker1993 mana you?

And you can possible spend 20k on the 4G18 to get a shit ton of performance but would you want to do that? Set a budget la.
I see, so if its 20k I better swap engine probably get a mivec 1.8 with turbo and probably add another 10k for extra mod. To be clear, I just want to know if the 4g18 is worth doing max performance or not, if it's done how many horse power am I expecting. I understand this going to cost me alot but I really dont mind swapping to a mivec engine or can help me suggest the right engine to swap for waja.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I see, so if its 20k I better swap engine probably get a mivec 1.8 with turbo and probably add another 10k for extra mod. To be clear, I just want to know if the 4g18 is worth doing max performance or not, if it's done how many horse power am I expecting. I understand this going to cost me alot but I really dont mind swapping to a mivec engine or can help me suggest the right engine to swap for waja.
I am not a modder but to me if the engine is designed to get u from point A to point B then its a waste of money to mod it to the max. Yes with money u can get the power but u will loose daily drive function and most of all reliability. Then when the engine cant take it anymore u will loose tons of money.

Best way is to get a better base engine to begin with.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, for me if turbo route, transplant is better, at least engine already built to be turbo-ed....

4GG

4GG

Oct 9, 2019
My car is turning 15 already.. I think it's time for me turn him into a project car.. That's ma plan actually.. At first I had the idea to get the 4g18 tested to its limit as in max performance but like @gunnerzz mention about point A to B is not ma plan after mod, the plan is to get him into track. Guys I think turbo engine is the best solution for this right?.. @vr2turbo what's the best engine to swap?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
My car is turning 15 already.. I think it's time for me turn him into a project car.. That's ma plan actually.. At first I had the idea to get the 4g18 tested to its limit as in max performance but like @gunnerzz mention about point A to B is not ma plan after mod, the plan is to get him into track. Guys I think turbo engine is the best solution for this right?.. @vr2turbo what's the best engine to swap?
You can still use it as daily, if you are driving MT, i would suggest swap in the 4G93P, increase its rev to 7,900 rpm (rev cut here), mild high cams (both intake and exhaust). PNP (but not until mirror shine) intake and exhaust port, tuned length 4-2-1 headers, 2" exhaust pipes with good resonators and mufflers (for resonator, i always recommend custom), TM works ignition system and coils (this is give better power in ALL rev range). Lastly, optimize the AFR to 13-13:5. These are still consider mild modifications because everything is worked outside of the engine. We haven't even go into the internal of the engines yet :) All of this can somehow push up 180 bhp. For N/A engines, you need to rev it high to get the power you need, so don't expect low rev acceleration like modern turbo engines which can be found in VW, Audi, Ford.

To add on, work on your clutch, short shifter and of course shifting skills, then you will no problem use all the power within your engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GG and minibeany

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I am not a modder but to me if the engine is designed to get u from point A to point B then its a waste of money to mod it to the max. Yes with money u can get the power but u will loose daily drive function and most of all reliability. Then when the engine cant take it anymore u will loose tons of money.

Best way is to get a better base engine to begin with.
It's not a matter of whether "it's a waste of money" or not. It's a matter of whether you want to or not. I know folks who have spent shit tons of money on Kancils just because they love the car. Full L2/L5 conversions, suspension, turbo uprated, internals uprated, etc. The money spent is easily 3-4 times the value of the car. The question is how much do you want this 4G18? Do you plan to keep it for another 20 years on top of your existing 15? If yes then sure go mod it don't worry about "waste of money". If you're uncertain then keep it stock.

Also, let me give you a scenario :

- You buy a 4G93T (pretty rare and pretty expensive these days) - about 5-7k (conservatively) with gearbox and wiring
- You spend about 4k refurbishing everything, replace all the gaskets, seals, clutch, clutch plate, oils, etc
- You spend about 4-6k on forged internals and supporting mods (AFPR, injectors, intake, exhaust, etc)
- You spend 1-2k on the transplant workmanship assuming wiring is in perfect condition
- Then maybe you spend about 5-6k on a standalone ECU plus 1k tuning
- Then spend about 4k for suspension and brakes upgrade.
- then about 2k for tyres and rims since you can't clear the big caliper with stock rims.

That's roughly almost 25k++ to get roughly perhaps 280whp to 300whp (very generous assumption, usually lower than that)

Is that what you want for a FWD car? You haven't even included paint and perhaps an interior refresh or semi-bucket seats etc. etc.

If this is what you don't mind spending then sure - I say go for it because the experience of driving a modified car is unique to each car and car owner. But with all this money spent be prepared to spend a lot on petrol especially with the cost of petrol increasing everyday. Oh make sure the tune is setup to run RON95 cuz 97/100 is getting expensive.

Orrr... sell the car + top up the 25k++ and buy a more modern car that has more power, drives better or has better fuel economy

Reactions: 4GG

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
If

I would take a turbo route, can the 4g18 manage the pressure ?
Yeah no issue. Just don't be a champion and boost on stock internals kao2 la haha, gonna end up with melted pistons and/or with broken conrods.

Forged conrods + vitara pistons are good for about 3-400 to the wheels. But turbo sizing and the rest is up to you what you want to use... Most people here always go for a TD04 or something and call it a day.

Then there's budgeting like what Iszo is saying. I think the deciding factor is budget + power you're aiming for.

200-250whp is quite an achievable number. With a subaru TD04 Nightstalker's 18 got around 200whp & 300nm to the wheels before it blew. (Why it blew is a whole different story though)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GG and Izso

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It's not a matter of whether "it's a waste of money" or not. It's a matter of whether you want to or not. I know folks who have spent shit tons of money on Kancils just because they love the car. Full L2/L5 conversions, suspension, turbo uprated, internals uprated, etc. The money spent is easily 3-4 times the value of the car. The question is how much do you want this 4G18? Do you plan to keep it for another 20 years on top of your existing 15? If yes then sure go mod it don't worry about "waste of money". If you're uncertain then keep it stock.

Also, let me give you a scenario :

- You buy a 4G93T (pretty rare and pretty expensive these days) - about 5-7k (conservatively) with gearbox and wiring
- You spend about 4k refurbishing everything, replace all the gaskets, seals, clutch, clutch plate, oils, etc
- You spend about 4-6k on forged internals and supporting mods (AFPR, injectors, intake, exhaust, etc)
- You spend 1-2k on the transplant workmanship assuming wiring is in perfect condition
- Then maybe you spend about 5-6k on a standalone ECU plus 1k tuning
- Then spend about 4k for suspension and brakes upgrade.
- then about 2k for tyres and rims since you can't clear the big caliper with stock rims.

That's roughly almost 25k++ to get roughly perhaps 280whp to 300whp (very generous assumption, usually lower than that)

Is that what you want for a FWD car? You haven't even included paint and perhaps an interior refresh or semi-bucket seats etc. etc.

If this is what you don't mind spending then sure - I say go for it because the experience of driving a modified car is unique to each car and car owner. But with all this money spent be prepared to spend a lot on petrol especially with the cost of petrol increasing everyday. Oh make sure the tune is setup to run RON95 cuz 97/100 is getting expensive.

Orrr... sell the car + top up the 25k++ and buy a more modern car that has more power, drives better or has better fuel economy
Still got exhaust system....haha
For me, I plonk in engine did the suspension and exhaust and kept everything stock.......lol

Reactions: 4GG

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Mclaren super rookie, Lewis Hamilton was caught speeding on a French highway on Sunday afternoon.

Hamilton, 22, was clocked by radar doing a very normal 196kmh (for his standard) at the wheel of a Mercedes CLK. French police have suspended the F1 driver’s license for a period of one month and fined him 600 euros. His car also got confiscated, but police gave Hamilton a lift to his hotel.

Policemen said Hamilton...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience