Cheap tyre

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You are quite right ! None of my tyres can last to 2 years !

There was once i bought a set of used Nexen 8000, has about 70% thread left, a return trip to Penang, i've managed to scrub the tyre down to almost 40% left. I wasn't driving very aggressive too. Probably this used tyre already has some thread problem so that's why it was gotten rid of.

Its amazing that i am still able to drive relatively quite stable on this thing.

Thanks,
Ken
What's the tread on those Nexen? Even so still suspicious that just trip to Penang will consume that much.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
What's the tread on those Nexen? Even so still suspicious that just trip to Penang will consume that much.
Could not remember, but Nexen N8000 has a bad reputation for high wear rate. Probably has something to do with my negative toe out and negative from camber setup at the front alignment. I sped at about 195 km/h quite steadily and took bends at about 160 km/h (GPS Speed).

Probably that's why the wear is so fast ?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Could not remember, but Nexen N8000 has a bad reputation for high wear rate. Probably has something to do with my negative toe out and negative from camber setup at the front alignment. I sped at about 195 km/h quite steadily and took bends at about 160 km/h (GPS Speed).

Nexen N8000 have 4 large straight grooves, less rubber, good for anti aquaplaning....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Looks like combination of all those but still 30% drop in tread with just about 800+km is too much. I suspect the miss alignment is the biggest factor.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Looks like combination of all those but still 30% drop in tread with just about 800+km is too much. I suspect the miss alignment is the biggest factor.
Well my front toe settings were intentional, to have better corner entry. It isn't much, just about 0.3 toe out, rear was 0.3 toe in. This settings are abit twitchy but good if you know how to control the car. Furthermore, i intentional running wider front track than rear by 5mm each side, the car is slightly oversteer but nothing unmanageable, to add on the rear of the car is using 24mm ARB, front is stock 19mm, need stiffer front ARB to balance out the steering.

Thanks,
Ken

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well my front toe settings were intentional, to have better corner entry. It isn't much, just about 0.3 toe out, rear was 0.3 toe in. This settings are abit twitchy but good if you know how to control the car. Furthermore, i intentional running wider front track than rear by 5mm each side, the car is slightly oversteer but nothing unmanageable, to add on the rear of the car is using 24mm ARB, front is stock 19mm, need stiffer front ARB to balance out the steering.

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks,
Ken
Only 5mm wider, how could that be? Minimum is 1 cm wider tires right?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Only 5mm wider, how could that be? Minimum is 1 cm wider tires right?
I'd customed front spacer 22 mm to clear my BBK, rear 25 mm to induce a bit understeer since Lancer has the tendency to snap oversteer when switching left and right and quick motions. My front track measures 1573mm, 1578.5 at the rear. The rear is upgraded with stiffer ARB, hence the car likes to oversteer alot, its a lot fun if i am driving alone. I am looking to upgrade the front as well so that the movement can be controlled properly.

Thanks,
Ken

Han_neversolo

Aug 10, 2018
Anyone tried Toyo Proxes TR1? I am looking to upgrade my tyres (currently using Turanza er33). Still deciding between TR1 and Hankook v12 evo2. Both almost similar price. But can't find any comparison between these 2 tyres.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Anyone tried Toyo Proxes TR1? I am looking to upgrade my tyres (currently using Turanza er33). Still deciding between TR1 and Hankook v12 evo2. Both almost similar price. But can't find any comparison between these 2 tyres.
TR1 still very new. I'd pick V12E2 coz Toyo usually is not so good and the tread wear is much lower so won't last as long.

Reactions: Han_neversolo

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yah, Hankook now listed under premium tyre in UK tyre website. Toyo still in mid range together with Yokohama, Nitto, Falken, Nexen, Maxxis etc.
V12Evo2 proven, TR1 still new, unless you want to be guinea pig and give us your reviews......

Han_neversolo

Aug 10, 2018
Yah, Hankook now listed under premium tyre in UK tyre website. Toyo still in mid range together with Yokohama, Nitto, Falken, Nexen, Maxxis etc.
V12Evo2 proven, TR1 still new, unless you want to be guinea pig and give us your reviews......
I see. I thought of trying the tyre, since none of my friends tried it before, and TR1 does offer my current tyre setup, which is 195/55/R16. If I go for v12e2, I will need to change to 205/45, which I not sure whether it is make the ride better or worse. Both ways also will be an experiment.

I also thought of Conti UC6, TyreReviews rating seems not bad also, despite it is touring tyres instead of budget UHP tyres.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I see. I thought of trying the tyre, since none of my friends tried it before, and TR1 does offer my current tyre setup, which is 195/55/R16. If I go for v12e2, I will need to change to 205/45, which I not sure whether it is make the ride better or worse. Both ways also will be an experiment.

I also thought of Conti UC6, TyreReviews rating seems not bad also, despite it is touring tyres instead of budget UHP tyres.
Then try the TR1, it should be much more comfortable at that size. Forget about UC6, it's crap tires! Even my friend who doesn't know much about cars and drive normal on his uncle-ish 2.0 bone stock Camry still can comment that it's not a good tire and regrets buying it!

Han_neversolo

Aug 10, 2018
Then try the TR1, it should be much more comfortable at that size. Forget about UC6, it's crap tires! Even my friend who doesn't know much about cars and drive normal on his uncle-ish 2.0 bone stock Camry still can comment that it's not a good tire and regrets buying it!
Alright, thanks for the advice :beer:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, agree with bro. 6UE5t, better try TR1 with correct tyre size rather then experiment with different size. UC6 touring tyres different category from UHP already.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What type of fabric used on Recaro SR3/SRD ?

is it suede.. or tricot.. or jacquard?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience