Engine Oil from Tesco

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Knn...why in penang i cannot find so much bottle on shelf. :mad:
majority of u guys in KL bought like owning a shops.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I guess there is an assumption by most people that Group 3 syns are not real synthetic , in a way that's true. Btw a semi syn is a grp II oil mixed with at least 30% group III.
The argument about group 3 being not real FS began in 1999 when castrol marketed their Syntec Group 3 (hydrocracked mineral) .
Excerpt :
"In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. In fact, Mobil-1 is now primarily made from Group III unconventional base oils, exactly the stuff Mobil was claiming was not really synthetic. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils."

So to summarize, there is no need to be pedantic about off the shelf synthetics like Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Magatec , or Mobil 1 not being "true" FS, their performance is already VERY close to Group IV(Amsoil/REDLINE/ RP) In fact, it has been shown that additives blend in better with the lower base oil. You will be hard pressed to tell a difference at 10000km OCI.
To cap this, let me show you a video.
Yup 100% agree with that video, that's why even up to today I have never ever buy any of those fancy oils like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Liqui Moly etc2. Sure they can be (or even proven to be) excellent oil (especially Amsoil) but I don't see the NEED for my cars to use them. The analogy is like eating wagyu beef every time you eat beef, I don't need that. But if got the money to burn then different case.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup 100% agree with that video, that's why even up to today I have never ever buy any of those fancy oils like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Liqui Moly etc2. Sure they can be (or even proven to be) excellent oil (especially Amsoil) but I don't see the NEED for my cars to use them. The analogy is like eating wagyu beef every time you eat beef, I don't need that. But if got the money to burn then different case.
I know some like that, even NA not performance car but using best ester based oil.......:smokin:

Marc60

Marc60

Nov 7, 2018
I remember the main issue was that most EU oil don't have the seal under the bottle cap......
Yeah which caused the leakage on the packaging issue and people making fuss about it saying it is safer to buy the local one.

Marc60

Marc60

Nov 7, 2018
Knn...why in penang i cannot find so much bottle on shelf. :mad:
majority of u guys in KL bought like owning a shops.
Lol gg just buy at petrol station not much price different. Unless you rather come kl sapu all just for cheaper price..

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah which caused the leakage on the packaging issue and people making fuss about it saying it is safer to buy the local one.
On this note, so far all the engine oil on sale that I have seen in Tesco, Giant, Aeon and Aeon Big, I have yet to see any leaking ones....:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

DNGFashion

Known Member

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
NA and even the common downsized turbo charged cars wouldnt need those ester / ester blend oils. Overkill.
Unless one is talking about performance engines like M products, AMG, evos, turbo type r, GR and etc.

Not too sure if Golf GTI, Toyota Supra belongs to performance engines?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi again friends :itsme:

I'd like to have your views on the above vs wetsanding.

As up till now, i've only wetsanded to remove orange peel. not used any velvet pad.
Not available here as are most detailing products.

plz refer to my previous post ( the caveman's part 2)

My concern is not this car though. the car is sold now.
one guy...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience