How to improve braking performance (semi-DIY)

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
Izso and thanks for your previous Myvi oil changing post, I managed to change Myvi oil and oil filter alone.
At first abit scare something when wrong, after two weeks no oil leaking, Yeah!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks for reply
What is mean is the Yellow color part, can i use the for floor jack point?
How about the Red color part?
Wondering where is the flatter stronger chassis parts you refering to ?

and i plan to use the "Super high temperature Red Toyo grease EAJ 8000" as shown in picture for my Myvi caliper pin, have you heard about it, is it suitable?
* can i show the brand like that? first time playing forum, if not i will remove it, thanks
Yellow part is the arm itself. Don't put the jack on the flat part that you highlighted in yellow. Put the jack where the joint it, not on the flat part. The red one is the chassis bit, can use that but be very careful - test it before putting the full weight onto the car.

This is what I usually do or somewhere nearby that area.

And glad you managed to change the oil properly *thumbs up

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
Izso I just use mirror to took some pictures of the Myvi underneath. (I know it need imagination to understand my picture location since it is a bit hard to take photos of it).

1. First question is can I use hydraulic floor jack to jack on the picture red rectangular part at the center, so after jacking up I can easily to two jack stands at the weld pinch jack point. I not sure what is it, maybe is mounting for engine or gearbox?

2. Second question is for the rear part. should we jack on the green rectangular part shown in the picture? Since there is a sticker at the torsion bar (Red rectangular), we cannot jack it , the green part just before the torsion bar I see is quite solid at attached to the frame, seem like a perfect jack point for rear center part.

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso I just use mirror to took some pictures of the Myvi underneath. (I know it need imagination to understand my picture location since it is a bit hard to take photos of it).

1. First question is can I use hydraulic floor jack to jack on the picture red rectangular part at the center, so after jacking up I can easily to two jack stands at the weld pinch jack point. I not sure what is it, maybe is mounting for engine or gearbox?

2. Second question is for the rear part. should we jack on the green rectangular part shown in the picture? Since there is a sticker at the torsion bar (Red rectangular), we cannot jack it , the green part just before the torsion bar I see is quite solid at attached to the frame, seem like a perfect jack point for rear center part.
1. Don't jack up the car using the engine mount! You just need to find a point under the car that's solid, not moving and preferably stiff.

2. I am not comfortable with that spot you highlighted. I need to go back and have a look at my car to double check where I jack for the back.

What sort of jack are you using? I'm using the mechanic type 3 ton jack. If you're using the jack tat comes with the car use this mounting point but be warned using jackstands here will spoit the "skirt" :

For me, where I put my jackstands is here (the red box, ignore the yellow) :

I know the pic above isn't a Myvi and is the rear of a Hyundai but the concept is the same. The jackstands hold up the car at the point where the arm meets the chassis and it's the same for the front. Personally I think this spot is pretty strong and is more than capable of holding up the cars full weight.

upload_2019-3-14_15-0-7.jpeg

This is my actual car and pic, the jackstand is just about where I am talking about earlier.

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
1. Don't jack up the car using the engine mount! You just need to find a point under the car that's solid, not moving and preferably stiff.

2. I am not comfortable with that spot you highlighted. I need to go back and have a look at my car to double check where I jack for the back.

What sort of jack are you using? I'm using the mechanic type 3 ton jack. If you're using the jack tat comes with the car use this mounting point but be warned using jackstands here will spoit the "skirt" :

For me, where I put my jackstands is here (the red box, ignore the yellow) :

I know the pic above isn't a Myvi and is the rear of a Hyundai but the concept is the same. The jackstands hold up the car at the point where the arm meets the chassis and it's the same for the front. Personally I think this spot is pretty strong and is more than capable of holding up the cars full weight.

View attachment 574092

This is my actual car and pic, the jackstand is just about where I am talking about earlier.
Thanks for reply :-). Okay from your advices, the jack stands I understand where to put already. When I changed engine oil I actually put two scissors jacks as your first picture (under the door weld pinch point), I know it is not safe to put scissors jacks, but i took the risk since oil sump nut is quite near the front and my body is not under the car. (1st time change engine oil successeful, haha :-)).

Next step in future I going to change A/T fluid and filter after reading your post and others about changing auto transmission :-).
I saw your engine oil change post you have the hydraulic floor jack and two jackstands, now I know where to putt he jackstands (just put as your pictures). I just wonder where you jack up the myvi using the hydraulic floor jack so you can put two jackstands left and right site?

* I think I said hydraulic floor jack is your mechanic 3 ton jack, at the picture I plan to buy one, still figure where to jack up with this one

Attachments

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
Izso I found new photo, what i mean for center front jack point is this part(red rectangular). The mounting is seem like inside the housing. and the housing seem like quite strong. Do you use this part for your mechanical 3 ton jack? :-) and i think the protruded cylinder quite suit the floor jack round plate support.

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Izso I found new photo, what i mean for center front jack point is this part(red rectangular). The mounting is seem like inside the housing. and the housing seem like quite strong. Do you use this part for your mechanical 3 ton jack? :-) and i think the protruded cylinder quite suit the floor jack round plate support.
My jack has an extra rubber piece that cushions anything I jack up. So even though I jack on the side, it doesn't damage anything. And I wouldn't jack anything that supports or holds a critical part of the car - ie the engine mounting. I personally don't know how strong or weak that spot is but if it breaks or bends, it'll be a major pain in the ass to fix.

Basically look under the car for strong but non-critical points to jack. Knock a few parts to see if they are hollow or solid and go with the solid ones. Alternatively one of these days let's meetup and do a DIY session.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for reply
What is mean is the Yellow color part, can i use the for floor jack point?
How about the Red color part?
Wondering where is the flatter stronger chassis parts you refering to ?

and i plan to use the "Super high temperature Red Toyo grease EAJ 8000" as shown in picture for my Myvi caliper pin, have you heard about it, is it suitable?
* can i show the brand like that? first time playing forum, if not i will remove it, thanks
For body the red part is the strongest. If jack stand front, better at engine area, that has the most weight.

Reactions: Izso

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
By the way , today i managed to take out the tyre and check the brake pad, found out my brake pad almost done, have to buy new pad after that. and I clean the caliper clip as well seem like a lot dust and dirty paste on it.

DSC_0262.JPG

Reactions: Izso

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hope you're using a jackstand as well ya.
Jackstand plus on solid ground plus wheel choke.
There is one accident in Melaka where a tech got the flesh skinned of his fingers after a jackstand sank into a newly paved road and the disc comes to contact woth his right hand.
Permanent damaged..
Myself will keep the jack up as backup when working under vehicle unless if the jack is blocking.

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
There is one accident in Melaka where a tech got the flesh skinned of his fingers after a jackstand sank into a newly paved road and the disc comes to contact woth his right hand.
Permanent damaged..
Myself will keep the jack up as backup when working under vehicle unless if the jack is blocking.
Yes sir, jack stand in my purchase list already, and I plan to buy that one got safety pin one just abit expensive. :-)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Permanent damaged..
Best to leave your whole wheel under the car also, follow my mechanic.......lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone sells hotbits full piping set for BLM? how much. Brand new please, and PM me your best price. thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience