what is chassis/body strengthening?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
After the penang bridge news
I think I need to do something like this d. Scary news

Anyway any good place in Penang or klang Valley?
Chassis strengthening won’t help when you’re hit at high speeds from rear 3 quarters. I’ll post more when I’m back on my laptop.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Chassis bars price is very much std with most shop.

This is just my personal opinion based on that freak accident;
1.public road is not meant for racing.
2.Everyday car is not meant to be driven like in the incident.

Even with complete bars and good rubbers it wont guarantee anything. Your car will handle better but there are just too many other variable at play on public road with not much margin for error.
Totally Agree, they were just driving too fast. Imagine after impact, the SUV carried on a very far distance, flipping in the process.....

Darth Evillus

Known Member
Jan 16, 2019
Well what about chassis foaming ? Do those help besides NVH. I see alot of cars like to cover their bottom with those.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I wonder if the roll would have been lessoned if it was a car rather than a high up SUV
In theory its a definite yes due to lower center of gravity.

However in an uncontrolled environment we can forget about most theory on paper.

Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well what about chassis foaming ? Do those help besides NVH. I see alot of cars like to cover their bottom with those.
There are multiple types of brands out there so let's just talk about Autofoam. Then it hardens it becomes pretty strong therefore if it was pumped into the sills, hollow chassis "bones", pillars etc - it'll expand and stiffen the usually hollw metal beams or whatever. Technically it should stiffen the whole frame and reduce "echo" or dampen sound. So yeah, it should reduce NVH and stiffen the car overall. But there's a caveat too - even Autofoam has 2 or 3 types of foam. The "race spec" one is the one you'd want to go for if the car needs to be solid stiff. The 'weaker' foam is stiff still but less.

It's all about trial and error if you ask me. I've tried both the cheap brands and the premium Autofoam brand and seriously don't bother with the cheap one.

Darth Evillus

Known Member
Jan 16, 2019
I'll check out autofoam

Theres another brand called acoustec by Ottimo car audio accessories near ss3. How is that one if any users using? From Ukraine. They told me they went through proper courses to learn professional installation. Got fb page tok

Their cny promotion package for sedan and hatchback
Full car RM3040
Road Noise Package RM1520
Door package RM760

Road Noise Package = Whole floor panel, firewall and wheel arch
Door Package = 4 doors

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'll check out autofoam

Theres another brand called acoustec by Ottimo car audio accessories near ss3. How is that one if any users using? From Ukraine. They told me they went through proper courses to learn professional installation. Got fb page tok

Their cny promotion package for sedan and hatchback
Full car RM3040
Road Noise Package RM1520
Door package RM760

Road Noise Package = Whole floor panel, firewall and wheel arch
Door Package = 4 doors
*shrugs*. Never used before.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
nah. the impact point the vios hit is spot on. on a normal car it'll still roll.
Maybe its time the VSC system is upgraded where it will try to avoid roll even when one corner is damaged after initial impact. Something like an advance moose test.

so far, vsc is designed and tested om its own right? meaning under controlled environment.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Maybe its time the VSC system is upgraded where it will try to avoid roll even when one corner is damaged after initial impact. Something like an advance moose test.

so far, vsc is designed and tested om its own right? meaning under controlled environment.

vsc programming always including rollover avoidance/control in taller vehicle in modern suv...

stilll adding stiffer anti-roll bar would help much as well because...its lessen body roll..equal to preventing roll when turning or swaying side to side... :biggrin: :driver: :smoke:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

The controlled environment also at a controlled speed, not top speed.....

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
nah. the impact point the vios hit is spot on. on a normal car it'll still roll.
hard to say right? might just spin out?

Anyway chassis strengthening doesn't help much in terms of safety, as modern cars are designed with proper crumple zones and maintaining cabin integrity.

Also, old cars, although strengthened still suffer from fatigue over time. So it just depends how severe is the use and stress. I remember reading spot welded chassis, when crashed, won't be able to be repaired.

Darth Evillus

Known Member
Jan 16, 2019
hard to say right? might just spin out?

Anyway chassis strengthening doesn't help much in terms of safety, as modern cars are designed with proper crumple zones and maintaining cabin integrity.

Also, old cars, although strengthened still suffer from fatigue over time. So it just depends how severe is the use and stress. I remember reading spot welded chassis, when crashed, won't be able to be repaired.
so what u mean is if I intend to use the car for the next 10 years, doing autofoaming is probably a waste of money and best to keep stock since wear and tear is bound to happen? bec I want to know that I will be spending some good earned money into something that actually provides the benefit i seek haha

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
What i know of is insurance wont cover if found there are autofoam or chasis changes on your car during claim. It is either a loss to you for your car