1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
My mechanic is using Dakota Universal Tachometer Signal Interface to read the RPM signal, i read from somewhere if my cluster is from a 4cyl BMW engine, the RPM signal may off by a little compared to a 6cyl. Should i try off with a 6cyl BMW E46 cluster ?

Thanks,
Ken
similar case in point.

using v6 cluster meter...rpm way off once above 3k rpm. So i swapped in gsr meter . it works, rpm normal.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Stock 1JZGTE VVTI ECU hooked up on Dakota Universal Tachometer Interface to power up the instrument cluster. Meter is running fine except for the RPM, reads slightly lower.

Thanks,
Ken
How on earth did you bypass or work on the sensors and all? And all the BMW stuff works?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
How on earth did you bypass or work on the sensors and all? And all the BMW stuff works?
Yes almost all the BMW stuff works, AC control, ABS, Traction, water temperature, wiper fluid, brake pad sensor and speedometer all working fine, except for tachometer, reads a little low. I have so called the best wireman in Klang to work on my car, so i will see how the car performs at the end of project.

Almost all the essentials are working, except for gear position indicator, i need to use an aftermarket gear position indicator to show which gear i am in, especially when playing with sport mode. I am think of installing those motorcycle universal gear indicator to read my gearbox position, don't know whether it can work or not. Any bright ideas ?

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
similar case in point.

using v6 cluster meter...rpm way off once above 3k rpm. So i swapped in gsr meter . it works, rpm normal.
Really ? If that would solve my obsession of perfect, i would swap it to a 6 Cyl meter right away, but i am curious, what was the basis anyway ? For your case, what is the difference between GSR and V6 meter and why would the RPM read so much different before and after swap?

Thanks,
Ken

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I am think of installing those motorcycle universal gear indicator to read my gearbox position, don't know whether it can work or not. Any bright ideas ?

Thanks,
Ken
you'll need to wire it at the tcu. the one that engages the solenoid. there should be tonnes of wiring diagram online.

Reactions: Mitevo7

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
you'll need to wire it at the tcu. the one that engages the solenoid. there should be tonnes of wiring diagram online.
Did you mean the universal gear position indicator or stock BMW instrument ?

Thanks,
Ken

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
My mechanic is using Dakota Universal Tachometer Signal Interface to read the RPM signal, i read from somewhere if my cluster is from a 4cyl BMW engine, the RPM signal may off by a little compared to a 6cyl. Should i try off with a 6cyl BMW E46 cluster ?

Thanks,
Ken
dont have to change cluster, the Dakota Universal Tachometer Signal Interface allows 4 to 6 cylinder calibration.

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
Yes it is, the mech is first time using Dakota, i will let him know of this, right now i think the signal still reads 4 cylinders.

Thanks,
Ken
yea, probably he didnt know how to set, well there should be user manual in the webpage. tell us the progress. haha

Thanks,
Lim

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I meant, did you mean to wire the TCU to another universal gear indicator or stock instrument cluster ?

Thanks,
Ken
tap the wire at the TCU from the indicator. unless u buy those with can bus like this one from cartek: https://www.cartekmotorsport.com/digital-gear-indicator/

my old 4g9x/6x mitsubishi/protons, we have this shift box from forced four that we can use to bypass the solenoid and do manual shifting. http://www.forcedfour.com/index.html. i've been researching on this but dont have the time and budget to it on my car yet.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
yea, probably he didnt know how to set, well there should be user manual in the webpage. tell us the progress. haha

Thanks,
Lim
Will do, visiting him tomorrow for spot checking. Need to rush him to complete the tidy up.

Thanks,
Ken

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello;
I have 2 questions to ask about my 1.3 Kia Rio.

1) when cold start, then put in R or D the car will jerking and sometime mati. but if we tkan minyak abit, terus no problem, no more jerking..

2) My auto box suka tuka2 gear....a bit bukit terus gear 3...then if i am driving above 120..then tkan minyak nak pecut..it will automatically masuk gear 2..is this normal...the car will just bising but not much speed difference..

someone please help me...tq =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience