Is Integra DC5R still practical ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Keyless entry, Apple Carplay, remotely turning on the a/c BEFORE I get to the car. Pretty sure I want to daily a modern car. Seriously the best feature is keyless entry. The convenience factor is just top notch, I recommend it to everyone buying a new car because it's really a practical thing to have.

Of course I get to drive a stick from time to time, still nice to do that, but wouldn't want to daily it without the nice amenities.
You're a big pussy. :biggrin:

I can live without all of that modern high tech stuff. The more high tech something is the more costly it is to maintain and the higher chances of things breaking. I like old-skool (to some extent) and don't completely trust modern tech. I heard a story from a good friend where his modern BMW failed on the highway and it was one helluva scary fail. The EPS or something failed and at speed he wasn't able to turn the steering. It locked up! Fortunately he was able to stop (not much traffic), restart the car and the problem went away. After that he drove like a tortoise for the rest of his trip.

That kinda shit won't happen with more analog cars. And I prefer key over keyless. Just don't feel safe with all the modern hacks that people can do these days.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
What case was that? And who's that?
He was a US journalist who exposed a Army general.
He died in a high speed car crash in his modern mercedes .
excerpt form wikipedia
"
Soon after Hastings' death, questions were raised about the crash that took his life.

Former U.S. National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism Richard A. Clarke said that what is known about the crash is "consistent with a car cyber attack." He was quoted as saying: "There is reason to believe that intelligence agencies for major powers — including the United States — know how to remotely seize control of a car. So if there were a cyber attack on [Hastings'] car — and I'm not saying there was, I think whoever did it would probably get away with it."

Reactions: Izso

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The thing about the question of practicality for daily use actually differs from people to people. It depends on what sort of car you grew up with, what sort of people/society that you mix with and what kind of location that you normally drive in.

Like myself for example, living in Ipoh, growing up with budget entry level cars, my standards for practical daily car is pretty low. I'm driving a Saga Iswara as a daily car and that car is quite basic compared to many cars today. It doesn't have electronically controlled side mirror adjustment, no power steering, manual gearbox, no reverse sensor, no airbags, etc... Good thing that the two front windows are electronically powered and the car's remote control system for the alarm still works with central locking. A car like my Saga Iswara is definitely a horrible piece of crap for some of my similarly aged peers but for me, I'm fine with driving it daily to here and there. I can live with the manual gearbox and the powerless steering. So, it is like I said, practicality actually varies from people to people. I can't say my definition of a practical daily car works for everyone and yet, I can't say that I need all the things listed by others as necessary for their practical daily car.

I can live without all of that modern high tech stuff. The more high tech something is the more costly it is to maintain and the higher chances of things breaking. I like old-skool (to some extent) and don't completely trust modern tech. I heard a story from a good friend where his modern BMW failed on the highway and it was one helluva scary fail. The EPS or something failed and at speed he wasn't able to turn the steering. It locked up! Fortunately he was able to stop (not much traffic), restart the car and the problem went away. After that he drove like a tortoise for the rest of his trip.

That kinda shit won't happen with more analog cars. And I prefer key over keyless. Just don't feel safe with all the modern hacks that people can do these days.
Yup, I'm also more traditional, not so fancy of all those modern features coz many of them I still find not really useful to me yet they make the cars more costly and complicated. IMHO the best balance between hi tech and simplicity was for cars during the late 80s to the early 2000. For me, I can live with just aircon, power windows and mirrors, hydraulic power steering, HU with bluetooth connectivity and some decent audio, ABS and few airbags, a good alarm & immobilizer, maybe rear view camera or sensor, I guess that's about it. I also still prefer traditional key because its probably still safer and less prone to issues.

During our TT to Genting a few years back, one car also had power steering went off but it's not because of the EPS itself failing but because of the yaw sensor that provides input to for the VSC spoiled! Luckily it happened only once he already arrived in the parking lot, imagine if that happened while he was still going uphill in the corners, we might have lost one friend there!

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
if you worried about RON97..get the type S instead. Manual or auto, your choice. Definitely cheaper than type R

Reactions: Izso

itNme_15

Oct 20, 2018
Johor Bahru
if you worried about RON97..get the type S instead. Manual or auto, your choice. Definitely cheaper than type R
Thanks for your recommendation !! Very appreciated !! I will look in to consideration ~ currently only found 3 on the website that wanted to sell

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, I'm also more traditional, not so fancy of all those modern features coz many of them I still find not really useful to me yet they make the cars more costly and complicated. IMHO the best balance between hi tech and simplicity was for cars during the late 80s to the early 2000. For me, I can live with just aircon, power windows and mirrors, hydraulic power steering, HU with bluetooth connectivity and some decent audio, ABS and few airbags, a good alarm & immobilizer, maybe rear view camera or sensor, I guess that's about it. I also still prefer traditional key because its probably still safer and less prone to issues.

During our TT to Genting a few years back, one car also had power steering went off but it's not because of the EPS itself failing but because of the yaw sensor that provides input to for the VSC spoiled! Luckily it happened only once he already arrived in the parking lot, imagine if that happened while he was still going uphill in the corners, we might have lost one friend there!
Well, you belong in uncle category age group already where you've spent more than half of your life driving cars without these modern features. I guess you are already too used to driving without all these things, hence you don't really yearn for these features. For me being in my 20s age group, people find it surprising or weird to see that I'm driving old cars without all these modern features. When I'm driving, I tend to focus more on the driving experience itself, so many of these newer tech add on doesn't apply to me when I am halfway driving the car. As long as air cond is there, visibility is good (this is very important for me), seating position is good, I'm pretty much done with the interior bits. Would be nicer if there is a music player with good audio quality but that is also optional, not a must. One thing that I noticed in modern cars these days like the current Vios, visibility is not that good. I can hardly see what is going on outside with its small windows/glass. The boxy looking cars from 80s like the old Saga, Civic EF, etc have large windows/glass that is really good for visibility.

The yaw sensor story from one of your Mark X group members isn't it?

Thanks for your recommendation !! Very appreciated !! I will look in to consideration ~ currently only found 3 on the website that wanted to sell
Type S manual is not as common as Type R here. But it is an alternative for you to consider. But keep in mind that its performance is not as good as Type R but still better than many common Japanese cars out there.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Even my old VR consider modern, got turbo, got electronics etc., If want real down to earth ones, go back to days of platinum points (chinese say "pak kam") and carb. Every thing can manually tune......lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Even my old VR consider modern, got turbo, got electronics etc., If want real down to earth ones, go back to days of platinum points (chinese say "pak kam") and carb. Every thing can manually tune......lol
Yours is one of Mitsubishi's flagship products during the Japanese bubble era. Digital air cond, electronically controlled side mirror adjustment, dual trip metre gauge... Those are really high tech stuff back in late 1980s. :biggrin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Planning to own an 2006 Integra DC5 type R for daily use, not for track or any run, just personally love it because it looks cool and rare. Self aware that it is a 12-years old car. Any advise or comments ??
it's still a special even till today, It drives well although the FD2R is quite a bit more capable on the edge, practical and the more modern choice

My advise is to try one out for longer period, an hour or 2 maybe, if possible a couple of days to see if it lives up to your expectations. Drive it on your regular route to benchmark. It'll help you decide better than to buy one blind and not be happy with your decision

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The Swift is my first car with the keyless feature and honestly I still don't see what's the big deal with this feature other than just making it a bit more convenient to open the door!
Well for ladies who carries handbag, keyless entry is a no brainer. Never again do they need to fumble in that bottomless pit they call a bag to look for keys.

For me, its a convenience factor. And I'm all about efficiency. Say it takes you 3 seconds to dig for a key, another 2 to press unlock and reach for the handles after, and then another 3 seconds to insert the key and start the car. Do that twice a day, that's 16 seconds a day. Factor that by 365 days, we're looking at 97 minutes of our life every year, to do what? I don't "enjoy" the key experience at all. I just want to get in and drive as fast/efficiently as I can.

Hell I'm changing the locks in my house to fingerprint ones.

The thing is, you have been living without the modern high tech stuff. Go to a caveman and tell him you can press a few screens on your smartphone and food gets delivered to your door. And he can tell you he don't need that shit because that's no place to charge the phone in his cave, he just goes out and collects fruits from trees. He's not wrong, but he's just a caveman.

As for horror stories about tech failing, it happens. But that's the trend these days, cars are becoming a consumable. Modern hacks, I guess that's where insurance with agreed value comes in.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

India has definitely done a full U-turn in the eyes of the international motorsports scene, let alone Formula One. Now, the nation boasts its own Formula One team in Force India, two Formula One drivers in Karun Chandhok and Narain Karthikeyan and will be hosting its inaugural race in October this year...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience