Proton CFE Manual Swap

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I say, just sumbat masuk the manual and rewire the cvt wiring to indicate "N" gear jer, see how that goes. I think shud be the same jer with any autobox, weve done dis in few cars. The ecu and tcu are usually independant of each other fyi
If it is that simple with CFE engines, we would see a few manual CFE cars on the road already.

Reactions: xtremeleo

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
sounds plausible but need to know for sure before i go down this road. those cars that you have done before are they CAN systems? or analog? why i feel it will still be a problem is because these modern ecus are more intelligent, if there is a speed reading but the can systems see the tcu reading in 'N' not sure what will happen. may cause a host of erros to show up.. car may run but not very well in this case. one way to know for sure probably is to get a CAN sniffer and we can see in the stock system what communicates with what. if we can isolate what signals the tcu sends out (if any) and recieves then i will be more confident to go down this route.

syg bro to start and if cant finish will be such a waste.
I just remember, i worked on a suprima few weeks back, and in neutral it just revv to 3000rpm, like a launch control, so i dont its doable ler. The ones i worked with was with the " normal" autobox jer, just swap gb and rewire it, done

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Owh yeah i forgot that it does that on N it doesnt allow you to free rev to the limit. So you are right its not gonna work. Conventional analog systems it probably will

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
Owh yeah i forgot that it does that on N it doesnt allow you to free rev to the limit. So you are right its not gonna work. Conventional analog systems it probably will
Luckily i remember that odd behaviour, lol. Getting a manual ecu shud be the best bet imo

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Manual ecu unfortunately dont exist for the cfe... unless i pay a ton to downgrade to the iafm campro manual. Complete wiring should fit but this route would be expensive and deffinately not worth it.. honestly i am more interested in exploring the option of a standalone integrated with the exisiting CAN system. Will need to learn up on CAN systems and how to identifiy their id

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Honestly, not worth the effort. If you want something with power and a stick, get a SSS.
You want a sedan with a stick and power, honestly, nothing modern. Subaru Impreza STi. But you wanna worry about maintenance cost, then again, get the SSS.

I'd recommend a BMW E36 or E46 with a 2.5L engine at least. 0-100km good for 7.6s
But more importantly that in-line six engine... they don't make engines like that anymore for normal BMWs.. now cars like the BMW 118i & 318i comes with an engine with 1 cylinder less than a Suprima, and less displacement.

Modifying your car is gonna be more pain than it's worth.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Honestly, not worth the effort. If you want something with power and a stick, get a SSS.
You want a sedan with a stick and power, honestly, nothing modern. Subaru Impreza STi. But you wanna worry about maintenance cost, then again, get the SSS.

I'd recommend a BMW E36 or E46 with a 2.5L engine at least. 0-100km good for 7.6s
But more importantly that in-line six engine... they don't make engines like that anymore for normal BMWs.. now cars like the BMW 118i & 318i comes with an engine with 1 cylinder less than a Suprima, and less displacement.

Modding is way more fun than buying a built up car. Suprima has better handling than E36 with 2.5 inline 6. I know because I have driven my bro in law's 2.5l E36 with Bilstein B8. But the inline 6 is so smooth and sounds so nice. E46, I'm not sure because I have never driven one.

Reactions: Izso and xtremeleo

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
Modding is way more fun than buying a built up car. Suprima has better handling than E36 with 2.5 inline 6. I know because I have driven my bro in law's 2.5l E36 with Bilstein B8. But the inline 6 is so smooth and sounds so nice. E46, I'm not sure because I have never driven one.
Id rather get a cheap car and mod it up, its more fun dat way

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam

over the weekend this more research in reverse engineering the CAN systems. its programming that i do find it hard to grasp. you are definitely right going down this road will be more pain then worth it. as it is, i cant stand when the car doesnt run right, ocd to the max.. going down this road will bug me so badly when i do reach a problem.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Id rather get a cheap car and mod it up, its more fun dat way
i have always wanted a ke70.. but prices are still steap for my budget. i have another idea but its a fwd. you might like this idea, not sure how feasible it will be but i think it will be a real fun car. hehehe

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
thank you guys for your input, i think i may end up scrapping the idea of a manual box in the suprima. Unless i am crazy enough to dump probably 30k into it to rewire the whole car this is not gonna work.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Ask Izso, see if it’s fun. And I can tell you although he’s cleaning other people’s shit, modding up the car yourself also you’re bound to run into issues as well.

I mod up my own boat and throughout the journey little gremlins pop up here and there and being a perfectionist I couldn’t stand it.

Sure, it runs, but you know it’s not perfect.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Don’t doubt the Supima being better handling, after all it’s almost 20 years newer and built with input from Lotus.

But that in-line engine is simply brilliant. As we move towards the future of EV, I think having an in-line 6 is an experience reserved for the rich in the future. So why not get it from a classic.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Don’t doubt the Supima being better handling, after all it’s almost 20 years newer and built with input from Lotus..
Has there been great advances in suspension geometry in the intervening years? Specifically the difference between these 2 cars. If design age of the suspension is going to be a factor, has BMW changed the suspension design that much between the e36 vs F30?

Admittedly, it's not really fair to compare a newish car and one that is 20+ years old who's undercarriage might not been that well taken care of.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Greetings,

I had been informed by my foremen that my EVO 3 gearbox - 4 wheel shaft bearing had already spoilt.

The cause is my previous foremen ( my friend ) had not fixed the housing for the bearing which caused it to grind with the Gear Box alloy housing and damage it. Now the bearing and the housing already makan. The housing apparently they can try to modify but the bearing needs to be replaced.

I need to find the bearings.

I had been informed that is not available at...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience