1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Right. For 80k or more too right? Jeez.. dude give it a rest already.

Like I said - give it a rest. I don't own a workshop otherwise I'd have it done in a week.

I think to get that kinda power you need a bigger turbo. And how you gonna upgrade a 1.8 to 2.5? It's not going to be legal or your reg card is gonna be one of those non-transferrable ones.

1. No. VVTI is not as tough as the non-VVTI ones. Regarding the turbos, makes no difference.
2. Yes plenty good sufficient but good luck finding a 330i diff. And get 4pot for now, but if you can afford 6 why not?
3. I'm was using 245/40/17 on my rear so the rough equivalent is 245/30/18? I dunno, but the clearance would be an issue.
I will go through the proper inspection and get it endorse, lots of E46 with this swap are legally registered, mine should not be an issue, just ensure no cutting on the body and subframe.

Reason i choose VVTI model, simply its smoother to drive at lower rpm, fuel efficiency should be excellent. Toughness is for me to backside itchy increase the stock boost. By the way what is the stock boost for 1JZ?

Will a 325i/323i diff sufficient ?

6 pots damn expensive sia, may be i go for Sumitomo brake kit like i am having for my lancer.

245/30/18 looks like very thin? I am think of 225/40/18, is it too skinny ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Really? Its the same thing, but VVTi gives u better torque curve. However a lot of people are lazy esp tuners, they remove the VVTi.
Yeah. For some reason the VVTI ones are never tuned for big horsepower. It's the non-VVTI ones that hit the high 500-800 ranges

Izso: don’t angry la. I buy you ice scream leng mou?
leng. :biggrin: But seriously it's frustrating enough with a lemon of a car that I've already spent money on. You know, that 70k evo is still a cash buy. I don't have that kinda cash leh so even if I wanted to I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

BMW e46 M3 is not 343whp ... Seen a dyno by an English guy on his manual E46 m3, the power figure at the wheels is around 302whp. So for the 1JZ automatic to reach that whp, i think it's unnecessary, if i can make 280whp is consider damn 9 fast, torque should be damn 9 enough to catch up to it (not even dream of overtaking it).
280 on the auto 1JZ is plenty. Also the 1JZ auto is a pretty strong GB too so if you wanted to push it to 300 it might be able to take it. :biggrin: but reliability would be questionable. Have you bought the car already?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I will go through the proper inspection and get it endorse, lots of E46 with this swap are legally registered, mine should not be an issue, just ensure no cutting on the body and subframe.

Reason i choose VVTI model, simply its smoother to drive at lower rpm, fuel efficiency should be excellent. Toughness is for me to backside itchy increase the stock boost. By the way what is the stock boost for 1JZ?

Will a 325i/323i diff sufficient ?

6 pots damn expensive sia, may be i go for Sumitomo brake kit like i am having for my lancer.

245/30/18 looks like very thin? I am think of 225/40/18, is it too skinny ?
The reason I say the swap will be hard is because it's more than 30% increase. I know of a lot of BMW converts with a "dibatalkan" or something on their reg cards and although road legal, they can't be transferred as is to a new owner. Mine was a 328i converted to a 1JZ, so there was a decrease in capacity from 2.7L to 2.5L and my reg card is clear and transferrable. There shouldn't be any cutting on the body or subframe for a 1JZ fitment. There are plenty of aftermarket mounting kits, gearbox adapter kits and all for our kind of car. Let me know if you need clarification on anything, I've learnt through the painful way on how the car works, registered, endorsed, built and all that.

The auto diff and manual diff have different final drives. I am using an auto 328i diff now so the RPM at high speeds is a bit high for my 5speed manual but for an auto slushbox should be just nice. If you find any manual diffs let me know - I wanna swap mine out.

Stock boost for the 1JZ should be 0.3bar, very conservative. Up it to 0.8bar and you'll have a very nice to drive stock 1JZ without any serious mods.

Have you bought your engine yet?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
The reason I say the swap will be hard is because it's more than 30% increase. I know of a lot of BMW converts with a "dibatalkan" or something on their reg cards and although road legal, they can't be transferred as is to a new owner. Mine was a 328i converted to a 1JZ, so there was a decrease in capacity from 2.7L to 2.5L and my reg card is clear and transferrable. There shouldn't be any cutting on the body or subframe for a 1JZ fitment. There are plenty of aftermarket mounting kits, gearbox adapter kits and all for our kind of car. Let me know if you need clarification on anything, I've learnt through the painful way on how the car works, registered, endorsed, built and all that.

The auto diff and manual diff have different final drives. I am using an auto 328i diff now so the RPM at high speeds is a bit high for my 5speed manual but for an auto slushbox should be just nice. If you find any manual diffs let me know - I wanna swap mine out.

Stock boost for the 1JZ should be 0.3bar, very conservative. Up it to 0.8bar and you'll have a very nice to drive stock 1JZ without any serious mods.

Yes i have bought the half cut, it's a 2001 Toyota Crown from engine to gearbox and long shaft. I have a mechanic did the conversion before, so i am counting on him to complete the swap.

What's the estimated power with 0.8 bar of boost ?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yeah. For some reason the VVTI ones are never tuned for big horsepower. It's the non-VVTI ones that hit the high 500-800 ranges

leng. :biggrin: But seriously it's frustrating enough with a lemon of a car that I've already spent money on. You know, that 70k evo is still a cash buy. I don't have that kinda cash leh so even if I wanted to I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

280 on the auto 1JZ is plenty. Also the 1JZ auto is a pretty strong GB too so if you wanted to push it to 300 it might be able to take it. :biggrin: but reliability would be questionable. Have you bought the car already?
I have bought the half cut, my 318ci is dismantling in progress. I think i will maintain it on 280whp, plenty for me to hoon around.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes i have bought the half cut, it's a 2001 Toyota Crown from engine to gearbox and long shaft. I have a mechanic did the conversion before, so i am counting on him to complete the swap.

What's the estimated power with 0.8 bar of boost ?
I honestly don't know. I'm currently running 1 bar with an oversized turbo generating 360ish hp on mainline which is a heartbreaker dyno.

Anyway, having a good mechanic knowing what to do is key so thumbsup

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya

I highly doubt the stock boost is as conservative as 0.3bar la. Surely at least 0.5-0.8bar punya. Even my Volvo people panggil 'soft turbo' but nmgh check OBD it's boosting 0.8bar lol

we talking jz la apasal ini UZ come out oi