4g93 Mivec Turbo Waja project(Many pictures be warned)

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah, that tape is designed to survive being applied on the outside of an airline aircraft and survive, which is why they call it speed tape. 3M punya :biggrin:

Well standard cast manifold should be quite cheap and easy to find seeing how most people just chuck it away after swapping to pisang :laugh:

Hopefully can collect my SPAL fan later today, and stick on some proper sponges to prevent air leakage and make sure all the air actually passes through the condenser and radiator. Also time for my car to service and change the oil pump which I already standby, and fix that cracked manifold, and possibly change the turbo actuator spring to something stronger :emoji_muscle:
Your one betul BMW of Asia. Banyak Makan Wang

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
My radiator fan plastic cover/housing have become brittle and a piece have chipped off. Wonder if the tape can help?....hmmmm
Well if it had become brittle and broken off at some parts, it will start to get brittle and break off at other parts as well not long later so might as well just change fan casing or fabricate a new one. But my advice is if stock fan can fit then use stock fan saja, want to find aftermarket fan that can match the flow rating if stock fan is actually quite hard to find and super expensive :Stupid:

Your one betul BMW of Asia. Banyak Makan Wang
Apa mau buat, mod car life like that lorr... Radiator fan because stock standard fans can't fit anymore and the AVS fan I bought last time was a disappointment and waste of money, manifold crack for god knows what reason, need to add sponges because radiator changed so the gaps and spacing all different, oil pump change because 4g9x famous for oil pump failing so I want to replace the oil pump that came with the halfcut with a brand new one as preventive maintenance. Turbo actuator spring mau tukar because current spring only gives me like 0.4-0.5bar spring alone and using boost controller to bring up the boost already requires almost 80% duty cycle to maintain 0.8bar, 1 bar and above should be quite hard liao :bawling:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well if it had become brittle and broken off at some parts, it will start to get brittle and break off at other parts as well not long later so might as well just change fan casing or fabricate a new one. But my advice is if stock fan can fit then use stock fan saja, want to find aftermarket fan that can match the flow rating if stock fan is actually quite hard to find and super expensive :Stupid:
Radiator fan still going strong. If not mistaken changed once only and was a chop shop unit. Air con fan changed a few times and now even chop shop cannot find so mechanic modded another model in. Radiator fan is in the front, to get at it must remove grill and bumper....:banghead:

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Radiator fan still going strong. If not mistaken changed once only and was a chop shop unit. Air con fan changed a few times and now even chop shop cannot find so mechanic modded another model in. Radiator fan is in the front, to get at it must remove grill and bumper....:banghead:
Oh you got a pusher fan also? From evo ar or Nissan? My gap too small to fit any standard pusher fan, only got 67mm of clearance, no choice but to go for SPAL, even that also I cannot choose the high performance one, only the mid spec one can fit

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

Apa mau buat, mod car life like that lorr... Radiator fan because stock standard fans can't fit anymore and the AVS fan I bought last time was a disappointment and waste of money, manifold crack for god knows what reason, need to add sponges because radiator changed so the gaps and spacing all different, oil pump change because 4g9x famous for oil pump failing so I want to replace the oil pump that came with the halfcut with a brand new one as preventive maintenance. Turbo actuator spring mau tukar because current spring only gives me like 0.4-0.5bar spring alone and using boost controller to bring up the boost already requires almost 80% duty cycle to maintain 0.8bar, 1 bar and above should be quite hard liao :bawling:
kinda agree with stock fan. Having chat with one owner in workshop. He got mention he change this and that fan, temperature unstable.
Use stock fan, all OK.

About oil pump failing ? I run stock engine 93t, must buy one pump and keep in store room dy..lol

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
kinda agree with stock fan. Having chat with one owner in workshop. He got mention he change this and that fan, temperature unstable.
Use stock fan, all OK.

About oil pump failing ? I run stock engine 93t, must buy one pump and keep in store room dy..lol
Stock fan brand new actually not cheap weyh actually, looking around online, brand new evo fan assembly is like 3xx-4xx USD weyh, see those stock fan motor also damn huge. Only change to aftermarket fans if you really have to, and make sure you buy a SPAL and not those cheap RM200 fans which are pretty useless. Even SPAL also got level punya, get at least the mid-high end model with 1000-2000CFM at 0inhg static pressure, of course if budget and space permits just get the largest and most powerful 2000cfm one terus.

What oil pump you gonna buy? Like me buy brand new is around 1.6k plus taxes and shipping weyh :bawling:

Install oil presure gauge first.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh you got a pusher fan also? From evo ar or Nissan? My gap too small to fit any standard pusher fan, only got 67mm of clearance, no choice but to go for SPAL, even that also I cannot choose the high performance one, only the mid spec one can fit
Mine is original air con pusher fan. On the inside, Radiator fan takes up space on one side. The other side got alternator, power steering pump so is limited space, so they put it in front behind the grill and bumper......lol

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Stock fan brand new actually not cheap weyh actually, looking around online, brand new evo fan assembly is like 3xx-4xx USD weyh, see those stock fan motor also damn huge. Only change to aftermarket fans if you really have to, and make sure you buy a SPAL and not those cheap RM200 fans which are pretty useless. Even SPAL also got level punya, get at least the mid-high end model with 1000-2000CFM at 0inhg static pressure, of course if budget and space permits just get the largest and most powerful 2000cfm one terus.

What oil pump you gonna buy? Like me buy brand new is around 1.6k plus taxes and shipping weyh :bawling:

Install oil presure gauge first.
u mention 4g9x oil pump failing, which got me awake. Anyway can buy and keep. Not so soon lah...money quite dry. lol

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Mine is original air con pusher fan. On the inside, Radiator fan takes up space on one side. The other side got alternator, power steering pump so is limited space, so they put it in front behind the grill and bumper......lol
What intercooler you using eh? Mine not enough clearance to fit those std fan, only got 67mm clearance only.

u mention 4g9x oil pump failing, which got me awake. Anyway can buy and keep. Not so soon lah...money quite dry. lol
well, it's luck la some people drive many many many years no issues, some people build engine masuk dyno then kong. I would suggest just installing an oil pressure gauge with low pressure warning alarm and monitor it lorr. Cheap insurance for your engine.

Anyway, some updates. Just bought a SPAL 'Medium' strength 13" pusher fan with a depth of 62mm only and rated free flow rate at 1186CFM and a more realistic flow rate at 0.4inh2o at a pretty decent 826CFM. Hopefully this will solve my heat issues when idling under the hot sun.

Also just received my free 7" tablet from signing up for Standard Chartered credit card, now I got a new assistant when driving/tuning :biggrin:

Will be sending in my car to workshop later today and will start work tomorrow on the oil pump change, fan change, bushings and removal of the manifold to reweld the crack.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
nice display...do u use can bus shield to display at android or ur waja has obd2 port?
No man, I'm running a Megasquirt MS3x standalone and there is an app made by some guy to interface with the ECU and also do minor tuning and adjustments on the fly. Connected via USB OTG to the ECU's built in Serial to USB converter.

You can see it in action during my last track day with a 6" phablet haha

Reactions: Kevinho and Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys, saw the King Eagle already, damn cun lar the remote control module !!

Too bad the remote cannot be used with King Dragon or King Leopard..... Anyway, what are the features compared to the earlier models ar?

P:S> Integramania:I collected the remote from AhMeng already.. paid him RM80.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience