1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Lol .. .progress report please. Dont keep us hunged in suspense.
Even when titillating, must show some flesh also.
Right now, the flow of the coolant within the block was discovered to be cut off. So the back of the block is not getting any coolant flow. The engine needs to be lowered a bit to access the return at the top of the engine (it's situated right next to the firewall). So yeah. Sigh.

Still can la, just not so extensively modified! Light mods still ok coz can fix easier and faster.
Nah. This could have been a super heavily modded engine and I'd still consider it if I know the owner was as OCD and meticulous as me. There are two ways of modding a car :

- The proper way
- The skimp and cut corners way

Regardless of heavy or light, if it's done properly it's still a decent consideration. Guess which was mine.

Attachments

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
All the best on your build. Slowly but will get there soon.

Reactions: Izso

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Right now, the flow of the coolant within the block was discovered to be cut off. So the back of the block is not getting any coolant flow. The engine needs to be lowered a bit to access the return at the top of the engine (it's situated right next to the firewall). So yeah. Sigh.

Nah. This could have been a super heavily modded engine and I'd still consider it if I know the owner was as OCD and meticulous as me. There are two ways of modding a car :

- The proper way
- The skimp and cut corners way

Regardless of heavy or light, if it's done properly it's still a decent consideration. Guess which was mine.
Phew that is bad! Now no choice, just keep working on it, you'll get there at the end.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Actually I have heard this on forums , where they completely block , but yeah now I realize its stupid.
Some cars actually can be just blanked off, depending on how the internal water channel designs are, some can't. Either way, the job itself is horrible! Most people use a blanking rubber cap, wtf is that photo? It's like the ends are glued and then crimped? :Stupid:

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Some cars actually can be just blanked off, depending on how the internal water channel designs are, some can't. Either way, the job itself is horrible! Most people use a blanking rubber cap, wtf is that photo? It's like the ends are glued and then crimped? :Stupid:
Basically sum up the end result finishes of the car build by the previous builder itself. "As long as it works " method.

Izso finishes is showroom worthy :congrats::congrats:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
wahhhh that one is for the heater is it? usually people just install a hose to bypass only, not completely block!
Yes.. exactly. The heater element was removed and the water wasn't routed back.

Actually I have heard this on forums , where they completely block , but yeah now I realize its stupid.
I've been looking and no one does it like this! Why would they not want to route the water to flow back?

This way is cheaper. Like I said - "as long as it works" method.

Basically sum up the end result finishes of the car build by the previous builder itself. "As long as it works " method.

Izso finishes is showroom worthy :congrats::congrats:
Wah... I'm just OCD.. not showroom worthy just yet. I've seen some insanely beautiful builds of E36 + 1JZ and the prettiest one has almost silver/chromed the whole engine bay. Insanely nice! This car of mine is using that cars old intake and TB. For some reason it didn't fit properly which is the part I don't understand. Same car same engine bay but in my car they prev owner knocked the strut tower to fit the TB.. whereas the other car fitted like a glove.

Why dont they just weld and connect the 2 pipes together? Or connect with a flexible pipe?
"cheap" and "as long as it works"

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Latest update.

1. The turbo housing was replaced so the flange would fit nicely with the exhaust flange. So now I have a newly refurbished, previously refurbished Holset HX33 turbo.
12fecb04-5200-4906-bddd-0b7cda747db5.jpg

2. Sharp eyes would notice a water hose being routed back to the front. So now I have a proper flowing coolant line going through the whole block.
28af7a62-01b8-4baa-8d22-fad658f2e381.jpg

3. The Turbosmart wastegate was found to be a imitation and was causing issues with holding boost. So had it changed out to an original one.
e17cabb4-2fe3-455d-af57-85328eb03606.jpg

Reactions: ^pomen_GTR^

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

While details may be vague, it’s reported that Ferrari Chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo has acknowledged that the replacement for the Ferrari Enzyme will “incorporate the state of the art of our knowledge in terms of increasing performances while reducing fuel consumption and emissions. It will then influence all Ferraris that appear after...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience