4g93 Mivec Turbo Waja project(Many pictures be warned)

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Why would power steering oil overheat? Is it related to the oil as in they havent been changed in a long time, or maybe contaminated with water? Or is your hydraulic system overheating from overpressure?

Rust issue also a bit wierd. My car also left idle in open parking for a long time. Havent encountered such rusting before.
Well apparently it's quite common for many cars to boil over or overheat during aggressive driving. I hadn't encountered this before on my old 4g18 engine and ps pump though and I've driven the same route many many times already. Plus my power steering pump is meant to work with a cooler anyway so I guess I'll just have to find a way to install a cooler. Oil was put in when my engine came out, around 5000km ago?

Last time I didn't install the rubber cover as I installed the damper adjuster knob so water can get to there. I remember the top mounts weren't that old

Oh! you joined the Saturday morning drive......:driver:
Yeah I joined, was in the ulu yam push group 1. Didn't really walk around much when we were up there as I am still recovering from my slip disk injury so can't mingle much and survey other nice cars :bawling:

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well apparently it's quite common for many cars to boil over or overheat during aggressive driving. I hadn't encountered this before on my old 4g18 engine and ps pump though and I've driven the same route many many times already. Plus my power steering pump is meant to work with a cooler anyway so I guess I'll just have to find a way to install a cooler. Oil was put in when my engine came out, around 5000km ago?
Wierd indeed. I've never expected hydraulic fluid to overheat like this. Car's hydraulic system isn't supposed to be overtaxed like this. That's why our hydraulic reservoirs are so small.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Wierd indeed. I've never expected hydraulic fluid to overheat like this. Car's hydraulic system isn't supposed to be overtaxed like this. That's why our hydraulic reservoirs are so small.
yeah plus probably now with the LSD, so with more forces kicking back into the steering as well. If normal everyday drive the power steering fluid gets nowhere near that hot haha

I think probably in Sepang also it wouldn't hit such high temperatures as in Sepang the corners will be quite smooth and not as sudden as Ulu Yam

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
When you mentioned 'PS fluid boiling and overflowing', I was wondering if water got into your hyd fluid
I highly doubt it as the fluids were fresh 5000km. It probably wasn't boiling, maybe overheated and foaming causing it to expand and overflow, and the fluid SEEMS to be bubbling in the reservoir. Whatever it is, I measured 130c+ when i stopped , probably was 140-150c at it's hottest.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
what a journey for an awesome build, looks like it pulls very well too
more videos please

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I highly doubt it as the fluids were fresh 5000km. It probably wasn't boiling, maybe overheated and foaming causing it to expand and overflow, and the fluid SEEMS to be bubbling in the reservoir. Whatever it is, I measured 130c+ when i stopped , probably was 140-150c at it's hottest.
Could you PS hoses be running close to something hot?

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
what a journey for an awesome build, looks like it pulls very well too
more videos please
Yes will post more videos next time when I make them haha. That video is at 0.5bar boost, now it's up to 0.8bar on 2nd gear onwards. Hope to target 1.2bar on a final tune, should be way more than adequate. Also am sourcing for Mivec gear ratios because the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too ridiculous!

Could you PS hoses be running close to something hot?
That's a possibility too as my power steering pump is literally right next to the turbo manifold. Am planning to custom a manifold heat shield soon to keep engine bay temps down.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Is it possible to polish the engine head without doing benchflow? Will the engine balance ?

Just polish the surface without porting it.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That's a possibility too as my power steering pump is literally right next to the turbo manifold. Am planning to custom a manifold heat shield soon to keep engine bay temps down.
Like mine I could not find a matching alternator, so the shop gave me a perdana unit that is similar in size but the wiring point is slightly shifted. After using a few months found the socket melted because closer to exhaust manifold.....:banghead:

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Like mine I could not find a matching alternator, so the shop gave me a perdana unit that is similar in size but the wiring point is slightly shifted. After using a few months found the socket melted because closer to exhaust manifold.....:banghead:
wahhh your alternator is near the exhaust wan ar what car worr? I think I see most protons and mitsubishi like the alternator is behind the block intake manifold that side and near exhaust is power steering and aircond pump? :hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It was a twist of a different kind that will be keeping Ken Block out of the Rally of Portugal following an accident that saw him send his Ford Fiesta WRC car airborne with multiple rolls mid-air before coming to a halt on its side in a ditch.

Block and his teammate Alex Gelsomino were out doing shakedown and practice runs for the rally when the DC Shoes founder clipped the inside of a turn too deep and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience