weekend / long distance car

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
What is your current car? If its a Toyota Corolla from the 90s.. or a Proton Saga 1st gen... then..hard to say..those are very reliable.

Since you really don't drive that often... actually why don't you consider RENTING a car then? Rent a Vellfire every year just for that trip. Or rent VW Passat/Jetta.. plenty of those available for rent.

Oh if its gonna be sitting for that long, you probably wanna invest in jack stands as well, so that the tyres don't sit and develop flat spots.
a perdana, non v6 type.

did consider renting but the cost are high during festive period.
furthermore, once a month or so, will still need a car although it's pretty accessible nowadays due to uber/grab.

ideally is to have a reliable car.
it's every guy's dream to own a car of their own :driver:

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
How about FD2 - Can use for long distance too 180km/h no problem ~ K20 enough said

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
FD2 are pretty reliable and drive pretty decent but don't expect turbo level performance. Unless you start modding the K20 (if it is K20)

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
FD2 are pretty reliable and drive pretty decent but don't expect turbo level performance. Unless you start modding the K20 (if it is K20)
nope, be it FD2 or any other cars, i learnt my lesson.
not going to mod it, stay stock is the best.

Mod, will need maintain and frequent drive. not suitable for my usage.

i want to pass each and every road block in joy and not fear.
smiling at the policeman and saying bye to them. :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
2L engine, or 1.8L engine..versus V6 2.5L on a Mark X for highway cruising. No brainer, pick the Mark X.

Silver is easy to maintain. Else grey not too bad as well.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
nope, be it FD2 or any other cars, i learnt my lesson.
not going to mod it, stay stock is the best.

Mod, will need maintain and frequent drive. not suitable for my usage.

i want to pass each and every road block in joy and not fear.
smiling at the policeman and saying bye to them. :biggrin:
Yeah, kinda like what Ixeo said - choose your poison. CVT 2.5L Mark X or 2.0 Civic FD2. TBH I like the FD2 over the Mark X. But this is purely personal preference.

I just realised btw, FD2 will need an upgraded alarm system. The boot release does not trigger the alarm so you'll need to get that modified. FD2 still commands a pretty respectable resale price too. Not sure about the Mark X. And non-CVT means a more lively drive whenever you want.

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
FD2, is it reliable? cheap to maintain.

never own a honda before. :biggrin:
In my opinion, FD2 is reliable. I barely go above 4k as the torque is sufficient at low end. Maintenance wise, won't break your pocket. I am amaze by its handling. FD2R handling would be sweeter.

Being petrolhead, your leg and hands can get itchy. Therefore, FD2 has potential for mods.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I don’t fancy FD if it’s purely for long distance driving. Basically an autobahn cruiser. Not only is the Mark X a class above, it’s V6 is simply smoother than what an in-line 4 can offer.

You didn’t mention space needs? Is it just you or 4 adults? I think that would help narrow it down.

Mark X, V6 and rear wheel drive just ticks lots of boxes for autobahn cruising. Longer wheelbase too.

The FD isn’t much bigger than your Perdana, even if it is bigger.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah, kinda like what Ixeo said - choose your poison. CVT 2.5L Mark X or 2.0 Civic FD2. TBH I like the FD2 over the Mark X. But this is purely personal preference.

I just realised btw, FD2 will need an upgraded alarm system. The boot release does not trigger the alarm so you'll need to get that modified. FD2 still commands a pretty respectable resale price too. Not sure about the Mark X. And non-CVT means a more lively drive whenever you want.
Sorry for interrupting but Mark X is using a 6 speed auto, not CVT.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
wow, you already determine that i will buy a mark X :laugh:

i read that the older version like year 2005 is recommended as compare to the newer model, more reliable?

dont worry, every year, i will still send for servicing and checks before i head for long distance drive.
color wise, i'm not so particular.

I'm more concern about the cost of upkeeping, park and hardly use.
will it be as problematic as my current car....
Hmm actually they all have similar reliability coz from the first gen GRX120 (2004-2009) to the next gen GRX130 (2009-2014), they all share the same engine and gearbox, just different body style. Now if you meant among the GRX120 that the 2005 year is the best, now that's not correct! The best is actually the facelift model (2007-2009) because the ECU mapping is more tolerant to ron95 while the non-facelift was reported to be a bit more sensitive. Plus the facelift model is of course I not as old hence by logic less risky to have any issues. FYI my Mark x is year 2008 and it has been serving me very well indeed! :biggrin:

2L engine, or 1.8L engine..versus V6 2.5L on a Mark X for highway cruising. No brainer, pick the Mark X.

Silver is easy to maintain. Else grey not too bad as well.
Exactly! No contest between Mark X vs FD2 on the highway, be it comfort or performance. :biggrin:
Well grey Mark X is not easy to find though, mostly silver like mine, white, black, or sky & dark blue only. Yes, silver is the easiest color to maintain.

Sorry for interrupting but Mark X is using a 6 speed auto, not CVT.
Mark is NOT using CVT, but it's using a 6 speed traditional torque converter. I would not have bought it if it was a CVT car!

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
kurt,
get the new perdana, at least u have the old & new version :driver:
yo buddy,
haha. thats a good one, way to start a new year ahead.

i can't, if i get the new perdana, although it look good but i will be the laughing stock of friends.. :biggrin:

another friend of mine, keep telling me to go for W124 E220.
masterpiece