Engine for Drift Toyota KE70

Sep 26, 2017
Hi guys, i need advice to build a KE70 for budget drifting. Currently i have a 4k engine with aisan carburetor. Rear axle is using welded type. I'm planing to change the engine setup because of the torque problem.

Currently, my foreman recommend me to change to 4age. but cost is abit high for a old age engine. I was thinking if i can transplant Avanza 1.5 engine into my KE? is that possible?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
technically, anything can go in, question is, is it practical?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys, i need advice to build a KE70 for budget drifting. Currently i have a 4k engine with aisan carburetor. Rear axle is using welded type. I'm planing to change the engine setup because of the torque problem.

Currently, my foreman recommend me to change to 4age. but cost is abit high for a old age engine. I was thinking if i can transplant Avanza 1.5 engine into my KE? is that possible?
Why a 1.5? Why not consider the Toyota Unser 7K 5-speed manual? Plenty of torque to lug around a heavy ass car like the Unser - imagine what it'll do in a lightweight KE chassis. Having said that however the 7k engine isn't a rev happy engine. But nothing a turbo won't fix if you ask me. Torque, lightweight chassis and 1.8 roadtax..... and it's not an expensive engine since it's not new and not in demand.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
1.5 Avanza engine? Hahahaha. You're trolling right? Oh wait you're serious.

That engine can't rev, can't stand boost, and can't do much except haul aunties to pasar and boy racers pretending they are driving a GTR.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

easiest is unser 1.8 7k engine... plug n play...

use back your carb setup or use bigger carb

drift_hks

Sep 26, 2017
Why a 1.5? Why not consider the Toyota Unser 7K 5-speed manual? Plenty of torque to lug around a heavy ass car like the Unser - imagine what it'll do in a lightweight KE chassis. Having said that however the 7k engine isn't a rev happy engine. But nothing a turbo won't fix if you ask me. Torque, lightweight chassis and 1.8 roadtax..... and it's not an expensive engine since it's not new and not in demand.
believe it or not, i can get avanza engine kosong cheaper than 7k engine. that is why i am considering the swap. ya.. 1 more thing is 7k isn't rev happy, i have tried my friend ke70 with 7k. The torque is good, but it can't hold a slide for long.. not sure if 3sz is any difference with 7k engine interms of engine output tho..

1.5 Avanza engine? Hahahaha. You're trolling right? Oh wait you're serious.

That engine can't rev, can't stand boost, and can't do much except haul aunties to pasar and boy racers pretending they are driving a GTR.
3sz engine redline is 7k rpm, which isn't that bad.. it has torque till redline. 100hp easily with 1.5 displacement. cheap to run, that is why i am considering.

easiest is unser 1.8 7k engine... plug n play...

use back your carb setup or use bigger carb
i have bad experience with carb actually.. that is why i just think of plonking a modern engine to settle all the minor issue once and for all.

I don't mind modifying to plonk in the engine. Don't have plans to road legal this car.. even though it has a roadtax currently.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
wah.. not road legal then your options suddenly opened up my friend.

1uz v8 straight up! Torque all the waaaayyyyyyy

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
believe it or not, i can get avanza engine kosong cheaper than 7k engine. that is why i am considering the swap. ya.. 1 more thing is 7k isn't rev happy, i have tried my friend ke70 with 7k. The torque is good, but it can't hold a slide for long.. not sure if 3sz is any difference with 7k engine interms of engine output tho..

3sz engine redline is 7k rpm, which isn't that bad.. it has torque till redline. 100hp easily with 1.5 displacement. cheap to run, that is why i am considering.

i have bad experience with carb actually.. that is why i just think of plonking a modern engine to settle all the minor issue once and for all.

I don't mind modifying to plonk in the engine. Don't have plans to road legal this car.. even though it has a roadtax currently.

then use whole set unser engine la... its injection version...

btw.. engine kosong didnt have wiring and stuff to get it running

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

AHHH noneed to be road legal!!!!

i agree, 1uz pls.....

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
have seen JZ 2 turbo engine in a KE70 in Thailand, that must be one of the most popular engine's for drifting? They are cheap here in Thailand but mostly come with Automatic gearboxes, so you would need a suitable manual box.

This KE70 has a BEAMS engine that looks like a neat install and probably better weight distribution, can find with a 6 speed manual from IS200

If you don't mind a Nissan engine an SR20DET would give good power and be a good fit, they are fairly cheap (at least here in Thailand) and can find with a manual gearbox.

hope you post some project pictures whatever you decide. An old non-runner KE70 I can find really cheap here in Thailand and I have in the back of my mind to get one to do a swap and turn into a 'track pig' for fun if I could find somewhere to store it and work on it here.

cheers

Attachments

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
20v blacktop la
great engine but what gearbox would you used for a RWD setup?

OP mentioned a budget set up probably wouldn't want the expense of making a custom bell housing, did this engine come in any regular front engine RWD models with a manual gearbox?

drift_hks

Sep 26, 2017
wah.. not road legal then your options suddenly opened up my friend.

1uz v8 straight up! Torque all the waaaayyyyyyy
Nice idea! but there is a lot of work required tho.. like cutting firewall and all. Project might be too big for me to handle...

does 1uz come with manual gearbox?

plonk in sr20det also nice wei.....
hard to find a nice condition sr20det halfcut nowdays.... not to mention, the price of sr halfcut :shot:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Porsche Boxster. In my mind, it is perhaps the most iconic sports car of all time. Something I could possibly attain in my lifetime. A poster of the 986 Boxster was on my wall for a good 8 years, before it yellowed so badly, I had to take it down. That poster is still under my bed. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't like soft-tops. But I'd take a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience