Strange overheating problem

deenweirdoz

Oct 18, 2008
Apparently i have the same problem with my Proton Persona recently and my mechanic ask me to do the following

1. change Thermostat
2. change Radiator to a new one (previous rad got rust so he advice to change to new one)
3. change water pump because the blade also rusty

But after doing all of the above and using Toyota red coolant, after quite a long journey from Senawang to Ampang. The radiator fan keep spinning more than 5 minutes. Is it normal behaviors?

Is there anything I need to check or it just that I drove in a very hot weather?

Thank you

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Its normal for campro engine to have the fan running even after the engine is switch off. However this only happen after you hard rev the engine.

How is your radiator fan?

deenweirdoz

Oct 18, 2008
Radiator fan also okay, change to new one at SC last year (this is their solution for the heating problem). Even so it is normal, for coolant is it normal it will be decreasing maybe due to evaporation? or something that I dont know?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Coolant level should not decreased as cooling system is sealed type.However,minor decrease is acceptable.
If the decrease is noticeable then the coolant quite possibly are escaping.Without any trace of leak,it could be escaping as vapor from the radiator cap.

If u had recently do the repair u mentioned then u might need top up after a week or so.
Common leak for campro is at the bottom radiator hose.

deenweirdoz

Oct 18, 2008
Coolant level should not decreased as cooling system is sealed type.However,minor decrease is acceptable.
If the decrease is noticeable then the coolant quite possibly are escaping.Without any trace of leak,it could be escaping as vapor from the radiator cap.

If u had recently do the repair u mentioned then u might need top up after a week or so.
Common leak for campro is at the bottom radiator hose.
Yes, thank you for the tip. I will check if there is any leak, if not then I will need to check the coolant level more frequently then

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If the amount of coolant was found to be less after recent change of the radiator, it could be due to air bubbles trapped in the system. When you drove you heated up the system, air bubble was pushed out to expansion bottle and when engine cooled down it suck back water from the expansion bottle, therefore the water level there will be less. You should just refill to max level then monitor from there. If the level stays, then no problem. If it keeps going down then need to send it for check up....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Radiator fan also okay, change to new one at SC last year (this is their solution for the heating problem). Even so it is normal, for coolant is it normal it will be decreasing maybe due to evaporation? or something that I dont know?
last thing...

1-i suspect its either some leak at waterpump..

or

2-block water jacket or some metal coolant pipe leak

or worst

3-head gasket have some minute leak (which only leaks just a little bit and only when hot)

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Apparently i have the same problem with my Proton Persona recently and my mechanic ask me to do the following

1. change Thermostat
2. change Radiator to a new one (previous rad got rust so he advice to change to new one)
3. change water pump because the blade also rusty

But after doing all of the above and using Toyota red coolant, after quite a long journey from Senawang to Ampang. The radiator fan keep spinning more than 5 minutes. Is it normal behaviors?

Is there anything I need to check or it just that I drove in a very hot weather?

Thank you
1.change thermostat - not necessary, just remove it, dump it in hot water, the valve should open
2. no need to change, able to be repaired, quote for my beemer is rm300 radiator repair + cleaning + installation, if for persona should be cheaper
3.if u gonna change or repair the radiator, better change the water pump as well.

deenweirdoz

Oct 18, 2008
1.change thermostat - not necessary, just remove it, dump it in hot water, the valve should open
2. no need to change, able to be repaired, quote for my beemer is rm300 radiator repair + cleaning + installation, if for persona should be cheaper
3.if u gonna change or repair the radiator, better change the water pump as well.
Hi Danz,

Yes, already replace the thermostat, radiator and water pump to a new one. Just wondering, the radiator fan still spinning more than 5 minutes after long drive. Is it normal?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
5 mins is a long time, I know my neighbour's Exora Turbo fan spins after the ignition is switched off but I don't think its 5 mins, maybe around 2-3 mins.

my bimmer's fan spins about 5-10 secs during a hot day, 3-5 secs at night, sometimes does not spin at all.
how is your water temperature? should be 1/4 during the night.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
sticky radiator fan relay or ecu (if water temp acutally still normal)

deenweirdoz

Oct 18, 2008
5 mins is a long time, I know my neighbour's Exora Turbo fan spins after the ignition is switched off but I don't think its 5 mins, maybe around 2-3 mins.

my bimmer's fan spins about 5-10 secs during a hot day, 3-5 secs at night, sometimes does not spin at all.
how is your water temperature? should be 1/4 during the night.
Water temp in the morning is at 1/4, still monitoring though these past 1-2 days seems okay means the fan will stop after ignition is switch off.

sticky radiator fan relay or ecu (if water temp acutally still normal)
How to check this?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We’ve seen Nissan engineers testing cars at famous race tracks such as the Nurburgring and Laguna Seca but that doesn’t mean they’ve stopped using their own private circuits. It seems testing behind the doors at Nissan has become so busy that a fifth test track was required. A new circuit at Oppama, Japan, has now been opened at a cost of €16.2 million.

The Oppama course stretches four kilometers in total...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience