Converted Car Chassis. Is it worth it?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
speaking about the neo's there are so many variants...
r3 clubsport - mild looking, had cage #win
r3 limited editions - i think these had a fancy plate with the number
r3 kited - nothing but kit, fancy seats, trim
r3 lotus ediion - green and this had the most fancy bits and power

if im not wrong, chassis used for all of em are the same, the clubsport had the extra cage and that was about it

i guess if the pothole is large enough and the force was great enough to bottom out your suspension and transmit enough force to mess everything up... yeah i guess?
How about the chassis for Neo 1.3 VS Neo 1.6?

If your suspension is too stiff, is it possible to transfer the force of the impact to the chassis and crack it?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If your suspension is too stiff, is it possible to transfer the force of the impact to the chassis and crack it?
I think the answer can be yes & no.

Chassis strain can come from traversing fast over undulated surfaces. So if your hard suspension isn't soaking enough of it up, the impact gets passed along to the chassis.

On the other hand, when you go fast around bends, dip hard when braking, you are twisting the chassis. So, a hard suspension with lower roll center may help with such cases.

Trying to imagine such scenarios is making me :stupid:

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Might happen, when drive through deep potholes. Feel like the car got no suspension. Shocks bottoming out.
everything flies in the car.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I think the answer can be yes & no.

Chassis strain can come from traversing fast over undulated surfaces. So if your hard suspension isn't soaking enough of it up, the impact gets passed along to the chassis.

On the other hand, when you go fast around bends, dip hard when braking, you are twisting the chassis. So, a hard suspension with lower roll center may help with such cases.

Trying to imagine such scenarios is making me :stupid:
So, your analogy is like this.

Hard suspension going over pothole = Stress might transfer to chassis
Hard suspension during hard cornering = Less stress to chassis
Soft suspension going over pothole = More stress is absorbed by suspension
Soft suspension during hard cornering = More stress to chassis

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So, your analogy is like this.

Hard suspension going over pothole = Stress might transfer to chassis
Hard suspension during hard cornering = Less stress to chassis
Soft suspension during hard cornering = More stress to chassis
Yeah, something along those lines.

Another point is that when we're driving fast even on a relatively flat highway, the car does go through a lot of undulations (road unevenness). It's the suspension's job to soak up all these minor shocks. If it's rock hard, everything gets transmitted to the body. The faster you drive, the more you demand from the chassis.

Then again, my car is at 10/8 spring rates and it does seem to do it's job. Bear in mind if it's too soft, a bouncy car also twist the body.

After about half a year, the owner noticed a lot of strange squeeky noises and after some checking discovered cracks (very visible) along the front left absorber mounter area near the engine mounting and the front radiator chassis area there.
Hard to imagine how the front radiator chassis can crack like that.

Hard suspension going over pothole = More impact but strut towers are relatively tough

Hard suspension during hard cornering = Less roll. Less twist

Soft suspension during hard cornering = More G force. More roll. More twist

Do you get a creaking sound when you go up a steep incline?

Last edited:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
So, even with spot welding done, the chassis can never be as stiff as a chassis originally developed for performance...

The door thing could be a difference in quality between a top spec variant EF VS a lower spec EF.

How about your current EG hatch now? Did you compare it with an original EG6 chassis?
i think u got it the other way round.. i was saying that my spot welded EF3 is hell of alot stiffer than the original EF9. even my friend (the EF9 owner) commented that my chassis is better than his. no squeaks etc unlike his.

The door thing is also due to the spot welding on mine. mine closes better than than the EF9 on slopes.

never compared my current EG hatch (EH4 chassis) with original EG6 before.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So, even with spot welding done, the chassis can never be as stiff as a chassis originally developed for performance...
Perhaps more accurate to say "chassis originally developed for performance" has some high impact areas reinforced with stronger material whereas the custom spot welded vehicle will have better overall rigidity but not as strongly reinforced at the high impact areas.

From the above pic, spot weld is done to hold separate metal panels together better. If it's one pieced, then there should be no need to weld. I suppose if the sheet metal used is stronger or slightly thicker, then overall rigidity would be vastly improved. Newer manufacturing technology like Proton's RESS hot press forming, would have produced much more rigid cars

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah, something along those lines.

Another point is that when we're driving fast even on a relatively flat highway, the car does go through a lot of undulations (road unevenness). It's the suspension's job to soak up all these minor shocks. If it's rock hard, everything gets transmitted to the body. The faster you drive, the more you demand from the chassis.

Then again, my car is at 10/8 spring rates and it does seem to do it's job. Bear in mind if it's too soft, a bouncy car also twist the body.

Hard to imagine how the front radiator chassis can crack like that.

Hard suspension going over pothole = More impact but strut towers are relatively tough

Hard suspension during hard cornering = Less roll. Less twist

Soft suspension during hard cornering = More G force. More roll. More twist

Do you get a creaking sound when you go up a steep incline?
Looks like unless your car is just being used in track, don't go too hard on the suspension setup.

Creaking sound like the car is trying to lean backwards during acceleration?

i think u got it the other way round.. i was saying that my spot welded EF3 is hell of alot stiffer than the original EF9. even my friend (the EF9 owner) commented that my chassis is better than his. no squeaks etc unlike his.

The door thing is also due to the spot welding on mine. mine closes better than than the EF9 on slopes.

never compared my current EG hatch (EH4 chassis) with original EG6 before.
Sorry, I misunderstood your message earlier. I apologize for my mistake. So, if spot welding can improve an EF3 that much, I think there is not much reason to get an original EF9 isn't it?

Your EH4 is a local CKD chassis?

Perhaps more accurate to say "chassis originally developed for performance" has some high impact areas reinforced with stronger material whereas the custom spot welded vehicle will have better overall rigidity but not as strongly reinforced at the high impact areas.

From the above pic, spot weld is done to hold separate metal panels together better. If it's one pieced, then there should be no need to weld. I suppose if the sheet metal used is stronger or slightly thicker, then overall rigidity would be vastly improved. Newer manufacturing technology like Proton's RESS hot press forming, would have produced much more rigid cars
I got it now. In your opinion, which one would be better? The one with high impact areas reinforced with stronger material or the one with custom spot weld?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Looks like unless your car is just being used in track, don't go too hard on the suspension setup.
:top: If not going to track or drive like a madman, there wont be need for really stiff suspension

Creaking sound like the car is trying to lean backwards during acceleration?
There's a terribly steep incline near my place. Previously before I stiffen the car, it will make a creaking sound when the front wheels get on it.

I got it now. In your opinion, which one would be better? The one with high impact areas reinforced with stronger material or the one with custom spot weld?
Better can be subjective. Some people prefer comfort. I was reading at another forum where someone complained foaming caused his previously flexible Vios to be uncomfortable.

For me, I believe I will prefer to have both reinforced mounts and custom spot welding. In the event of an accident, the mudguard fella is going to curse at me for the spot welds

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
:top: If not going to track or drive like a madman, there wont be need for really stiff suspension

There's a terribly steep incline near my place. Previously before I stiffen the car, it will make a creaking sound when the front wheels get on it.

Better can be subjective. Some people prefer comfort. I was reading at another forum where someone complained foaming caused his previously flexible Vios to be uncomfortable.

For me, I believe I will prefer to have both reinforced mounts and custom spot welding. In the event of an accident, the mudguard fella is going to curse at me for the spot welds
But soft suspension does feel unstable even at slighter higher cornering speed. :biggrin:

You mean by just doing foaming, it is effective enough to change the car from comfortable to uncomfortable? I din't really expect this kind of product to show much difference.

Reinforced mounts and custom spot welding. Then you need to get a performance chassis to begin with. :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
But soft suspension does feel unstable even at slighter higher cornering speed. :biggrin:

You mean by just doing foaming, it is effective enough to change the car from comfortable to uncomfortable? I din't really expect this kind of product to show much difference.

Reinforced mounts and custom spot welding. Then you need to get a performance chassis to begin with. :biggrin:
hoho a properly setup set of shocks are really nice, it has to be a compromise.
**hard shocks, backside sakit!!! u go over those yellow lines... aiyoh whole car vibrating.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Power corrupts. I’m driving alone in the middle of the night, on an empty stretch of road accelerating from red light, to red light when a F10 528i engages me. We stop at the final set of lights and make eye contact. Game on. As the lights turn green, the beemer is left in the wake of what looks like a regular Passat CC sprinting forwards with little...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience