Weird substance inside radiator

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yah! but exact same problem as yours......lol:rofl:
To be honest, thermostat problem is considered uncommon among overheating issues right? A lot of threads where I searched about temperature rising, mostly would be clogged radiator, leaking hose somewhere, fan not working or too slow, radiator cap faulty or gasket kong.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Any idea where those gunk originated from? The radiator itself?

Distributor problem can kill the engine? I need to be more careful with that from now on.
my gunk? probably rust build up or something.

distributor yes... coz i had mine changed and without setting it first, i redlined the engine and kapow.

To be honest, thermostat problem is considered uncommon among overheating issues right? A lot of threads where I searched about temperature rising, mostly would be clogged radiator, leaking hose somewhere, fan not working or too slow, radiator cap faulty or gasket kong.
actually thermostat can be a common issue for overheating. mostly due to thermostat jammed shut... and water cannot flow hence overheat.

or like my avanza, thermostat leaking.. radiator empty of water and didnt notice....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
my gunk? probably rust build up or something.

distributor yes... coz i had mine changed and without setting it first, i redlined the engine and kapow.

actually thermostat can be a common issue for overheating. mostly due to thermostat jammed shut... and water cannot flow hence overheat.

or like my avanza, thermostat leaking.. radiator empty of water and didnt notice....
Did those gunk or rust ever returned after the radiator change? Because if it is rust, probably it came from the engine block? But maybe that was from your old engine.

Now that I learned about thermostat, it could probably be one of those reasons that I hear about old cars overheating and made them unable to travel for long distance. Some of my friends who had old cars at their home said even though no leakage and radiator went for flushing, the car still got temperature issues. Probably thermostat if that is the case...

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Did those gunk or rust ever returned after the radiator change? Because if it is rust, probably it came from the engine block? But maybe that was from your old engine.
i never changed radiator... old block had rust... new block had rust... most definitely from current radiator.

after coke flush radiator water has stayed clean

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
About two years ago, I had an overheating problem caused by the thermostat jammed in closed or partially closed position. Changed the damn thing and never had any overheating issue anymore.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is why you need to check out the problem first. Different issues different parts having problem. That is why after you posted you follow up problem, I ask you to check the thermostat first.....lol:rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
i never changed radiator... old block had rust... new block had rust... most definitely from current radiator.

after coke flush radiator water has stayed clean
Sorry, was mistaken earlier. So, the radiator is actually rusting I guess?

About two years ago, I had an overheating problem caused by the thermostat jammed in closed or partially closed position. Changed the damn thing and never had any overheating issue anymore.
B16A?

ehh the gunk is the thermostat itself!?!?
thats weird!
How did a thermostat create such amount of gunk puzzles me... Or the same amount of gunk had been circulating over and over.

That is why you need to check out the problem first. Different issues different parts having problem. That is why after you posted you follow up problem, I ask you to check the thermostat first.....lol:rofl:
Good thing I decided to ask here and continue giving detailed update about the problem. If not, hard to solve the problem now..

Meanwhile, today I was stuck with power window problem. Window jammed and got cracking sound when trying to wind up and down. Is the same window on the front passenger side where I got the motor replaced 2 years ago. All these while, the window is okay without any hesitation in winding up and down but just today it had this cracking sound like scraping against something. :banghead:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
renesis, i face this problem with power windows. Still use hand to push up.
is it safe apply some lubricant on the rubber ? suspect rubber is the culprit.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, this current engine.
Madman is also using B series. But I'm not sure which one already. I think is B16A.

renesis, i face this problem with power windows. Still use hand to push up.
is it safe apply some lubricant on the rubber ? suspect rubber is the culprit.
Tomorrow I need to bring it to check. :banghead: Just now to wind it back up, I need to wind down and quickly wind up again and it moved slightly higher each time. Keep on repeat and doing that until it reaches the top. :banghead:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
yeah im on B16A... n yeah i think my rad is rusting ahahahahah

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
yeah im on B16A... n yeah i think my rad is rusting ahahahahah
What radiator are you using? I'm not sure what materials are used in making radiator nowadays. I know old cars uses copper and aftermarket ones are usually aluminum.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello everyone. Hope you maestros can help me with this one. The problem with the aircond is the cars idling becomes rough and jerky (like racing cam) when aircond on. However this only happens sometimes but can be quite irritating :angry: . My car is a Wira 1.6 MIVEC auto.
Any suggestions, recommendations to solve the problem. Any good aircon workshop in Klang Valley. Thanks in advance. :) .
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience