Shell Helix now offers engine warranty for free

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Actually if you do your OCI on time there should not be any problem with your engine. My VR already with me for 16 years and my Sonata III 13 years. My Sonata on a mix of oil brands from FS to SS, and my VR mostly on FS but different brands also in that 16 years, from Toyota oil, Castrol RS, Mobil 1, Caltex, Bardahl, BHP, Zeetex, Q8, Delphi, Esso Ultron, Top 1, Blue.sky, Penzzoil and now lately on Mitsu......:driver:
That's why I'll just do away without such warranty. :biggrin: I just want cheap and cheerful, enough for normal slow car with uncle driver like my case.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Engines don't just go kaput... like izso said... if it overheats due to lack of coolant..not engine oil's fault either. This warranty is almost useless. Maybe on the old Audi/VW engines that sludge, but those are more than 8 years old already.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I hate to nitpick here but "caramel" isn't exactly a great comparison for oil! Haha! If you cook with caramel, you know it's thick, very sticky, doesn't flow well and break apart in dollops rather than a smooth flow of liquid. :rofl:

Anyway, this is quite a crafty tactic on Shells part. The warranty brings in the users and the constant reminders makes sure they stay as users.

How often is any engine failure an oil related failure?

- Oil starvation - isn't the oils fault
- Oil boiling to oblivion (probably due to track use) - grey area

Apart from fake/recycled oils, any oil in the market even the crappy cheap oils will lubricate enough to let your engine run without much issues. And considering how long Shell has been in the market, their oil formula isn't going to ruin anything unless abused, which in case will void the warranty.

So it's a win-win for Shell. Crafy indeed.
I stand corrected. Should have used butter or baby's buttocks instead.
Not everyone refer to Caramel like in Caramel Macchiato

Pretty much agree with your statement about oil hardly being the culprit of engine failures.
It's like blaming water for an overheating cooling sytem

Then again, i think Shell Helix is trying to make a bold statement about how superior their lubricants are and are ever ready to back their products by offering such a warranty, with no extra cost incurred to users, other than their loyalty

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I stand corrected. Should have used butter or baby's buttocks instead.
Not everyone refer to Caramel like in Caramel Macchiato

Pretty much agree with your statement about oil hardly being the culprit of engine failures.
It's like blaming water for an overheating cooling sytem

Then again, i think Shell Helix is trying to make a bold statement about how superior their lubricants are and are ever ready to back their products by offering such a warranty, with no extra cost incurred to users, other than their loyalty
But the oil have to be purchased from their service station, authorized service center and workshop therefore may not be cheap....:rolleyes:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I hate to nitpick here but "caramel" isn't exactly a great comparison for oil! Haha! If you cook with caramel, you know it's thick, very sticky, doesn't flow well and break apart in dollops rather than a smooth flow of liquid. :rofl:

Anyway, this is quite a crafty tactic on Shells part. The warranty brings in the users and the constant reminders makes sure they stay as users.

How often is any engine failure an oil related failure?

- Oil starvation - isn't the oils fault
- Oil boiling to oblivion (probably due to track use) - grey area

Apart from fake/recycled oils, any oil in the market even the crappy cheap oils will lubricate enough to let your engine run without much issues. And considering how long Shell has been in the market, their oil formula isn't going to ruin anything unless abused, which in case will void the warranty.

So it's a win-win for Shell. Crafy indeed.
Agree... This is good marketing tactic. Engines a generally strong under the 160 - 200k km mark. They mentioned piston rings and some seals. Well I guess that general statement probably refers to piston ring snapping or breaking, which never happens. If one tries to claim for piston rings being worn off and burning oil, that would come under general wear and tear.

Having said that, they will have some very minimal risk on their side though, almost negligible. That aside, I trust their oil is good. It's just this very cleverly formulated scheme that sounds appealing to some groups; but sounds a bit of a "try-hard" and redundant to others. :biggrin:

But it's a good initiative anyways... Hope that this will up the bar for other brands and parts. Competition benefits us consumers after all.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Easy to beat,
Bring other product and giving 13 years warranty...:driver:
Bro... Then make sure earn enough money and close in 5 years :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::burnout:

Rickman

Oct 23, 2017
Temerloh
The SHEW edy launch, that really a great promotion which covers engine warranty, feel great to have it.somehow heard shell new promotion also finally launch, I heard from my friend that shell going to launch this benefit to customer, bit confused on shew and new promotion.ayone know bit details on it? free oil maybe?:burnout:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017
mentkab
The SHEW promotion finally launch, i heard from my friend that shell going to launch this benefit to customer, that really a great promotion which cover engine warranty, feel great to have it.
What is S.H.E.W? new promotion? How can i get this promotion? need purchased a lot of oil? :confused:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The SHEW promotion finally launch, i heard from my friend that shell going to launch this benefit to customer, that really a great promotion which cover engine warranty, feel great to have it.
So what car you drive? What year?

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
They are very smart, you must also buy the shell oil from Shell retailer, that means paying RM247 for 4L. The tesco one at Rm139 wont count. No thanks.
Anyway my 26 year old car was on a steady diet of Tesco bought Helix Ultra for 11 years, until now not burning oil and no compression issues. Safe to say its pretty useless warranty.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
They are very smart, you must also buy the shell oil from Shell retailer, that means paying RM247 for 4L. The tesco one at Rm139 wont count. No thanks.
Anyway my 26 year old car was on a steady diet of Tesco bought Helix Ultra for 11 years, until now not burning oil and no compression issues. Safe to say its pretty useless warranty.
Yup, many of my friends have been using engine oil sold by Tesco too, and Tesco have been selling plenty of them and if those oil are not good, imagine how many engine would have failed already......lol:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Continued

Ok so now you've installed your air filter, changed your exhaust and still have bucket loads of cash to spend, what's next?

Personally I would recommend something that requires very little maintenance and doesn't take much time to install, so I'd suggest to work on the chassis or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience