WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Hahaha it's like dating a very pretty hot girl who's awesome in bed but then need to spend a lot of money maintaining her figure and looks etc2. and she'd also bitch a lot if you don't follow what she wants! :biggrin:
Just like BMW - Big Mouth Women:nurse:

Kaido808

Jun 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Just mentioning the possibilities because I've heard old cars with frameless doors tend to have that kind of problem. But that is just a small problem compared to blown head gasket.

Carbon clutch? That must be quite expensive? Even Ogura Super Single costs like over RM5000.
RM$8000+ Btw I'm driving a IX.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Honestly what's with you grudge with Evo on the public roads. It's not like you know that i am going to street race in it. I'm buy it for the sake of owning it and experience the driving feel. I opened this thread to gather facts on owning the car and possibly use it as daily. So far i think i am going to use it as weekend, just need to get additional parking spot at my apartment when the time really comes.
Grudge with Evo on public roads? Maybe you didn't read properly. I have no issues with Evo, I love the Evo.

I have issues with stupid drivers.

Stupid drivers comes in all shape and sizes. Some drive Myvi, some drive BMW, some drive Evos.

I do not know what you are going to do with it, and I don't care, but I know an Evo won't even begin to stretch it legs on the road.

Why you so terasa? I wasn't referring to you specifically. Unless you're going to show off and be a prick on the roads.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What about Evo 4 till Evo 6.5? Haven't seen those for quite some time. I still find the Evo 6.5 looks more aggressive than Evo 7 - Evo 10 in my personal opinion. Remembered last time when my friend bought a Marlboro red Evo 6.5 and it was nice to drive daily since it's stock standard.
Evo 4 will be even older.....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
What about Evo 4 till Evo 6.5? Haven't seen those for quite some time. I still find the Evo 6.5 looks more aggressive than Evo 7 - Evo 10 in my personal opinion. Remembered last time when my friend bought a Marlboro red Evo 6.5 and it was nice to drive daily since it's stock standard.
Even older, more difficult to find, and more potential issues/things to repair and even more expensive if you consider the age (that is if you can find one in good condition on sale). TME is the most hardcore of them all aside from the rally/race base RS.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Getting CN9A and CP9A chassis Evo is a bit troublesome over here I think. I've seen too many converts from Lancer CK being sold at mudah. These conversions are so complete that some even have the 4WD system from Evo, Recaro seats, Evo dashboard, Evo Brembo and almost every other external traits of an Evo.

Well of course at the end, you can't lie with the chassis number but it can be troublesome and disappointing when you go for a test drive or to view the car but only to find that it is not a CN9A or CP9A.

Nowadays when I saw any of these Evo IV to VI, I ask myself whether are they really Evo or just Lancer CK. :banghead:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Don't mind Ixeo. He's just critical like that and usually unfiltered. He's otherwise quite harmless so don't give him too much concern otherwise you'll blow a blood clot.

The unfortunate thing is a lot of Evo owners take videos of themselves and their shenanigans on the streets, so just don't be one of them I guess.

Anyway, are you proceeding with the Evo purchase or not? so far all the Evo owners who have spoken up here have said it's a bitch to look after and own.
I'm cool with him. Regarding am i proceeding, so far i haven't found a unit that is good enough to consider. The 3 units i test drove were quite badly maintained and doesn't justify 100k which i am going to pay for it. If it's just normal wear and tear items i can close one eye. I suspect these cars have been T-Boned somehow, at the door frame i found traces of rework.

Evo has more tendency to slide the tail out but that's how it's setup, sharp handling with the AYC playing a big role in enabling the driver to still stay on the gas but the car will power out the corners fast. If you don't prefer that then actually the WRX should be a more suitable as that car is more understeering.

I'm actually considering this option too! An Evo IX scrap car from SG is only like 20k which is cheaper than depreciation of buying a road legal Evo or any other cars!

Hahaha it's like dating a very pretty hot girl who's awesome in bed but then need to spend a lot of money maintaining her figure and looks etc2. and she'd also bitch a lot if you don't follow what she wants! :biggrin:

And yeah, Ixeo is like that, those who has been here long enough know that's just his style but a lot of what he said actually makes sense. :biggrin:
Hahaha driving style difference i guess ? I used to drive fast in an BMW. Like to get on early throttle to exit corner. I still like the sharp response on EVO. Anyway i am cool with Ixeo.

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
Feels like I'm not driving my car the right way...
Never felt it is tail happy at all... Guess I'm a slow driver... Hahaha

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I'm cool with him. Regarding am i proceeding, so far i haven't found a unit that is good enough to consider. The 3 units i test drove were quite badly maintained and doesn't justify 100k which i am going to pay for it. If it's just normal wear and tear items i can close one eye. I suspect these cars have been T-Boned somehow, at the door frame i found traces of rework.

Hahaha driving style difference i guess ? I used to drive fast in an BMW. Like to get on early throttle to exit corner. I still like the sharp response on EVO. Anyway i am cool with Ixeo.
If it was last year, I would have recommend you taking up my ex colleague STi. He kept it really good condition and drove only on weekends. He sold to change to Ford Ranger.....lol He did offer to me but was not right timing to change car.....

darthxvader

May 2, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Just mentioning the possibilities because I've heard old cars with frameless doors tend to have that kind of problem. But that is just a small problem compared to blown head gasket.

Carbon clutch? That must be quite expensive? Even Ogura Super Single costs like over RM5000.
The rubbers are quite cheap to replace..only cost below 300 for both sides..chop shop good condition.. but if the previous owner doesnt take care of it..perhaps rust might be an issue then..

darthxvader

May 2, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
and to thread starter..even earning 6k will be ridiculously cukup2 makan for owning and maintaining it..my 2 cents, get a property first..stabilize your financial..then only get it..unless you are getting it cash..

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
and to thread starter..even earning 6k will be ridiculously cukup2 makan for owning and maintaining it..my 2 cents, get a property first..stabilize your financial..then only get it..unless you are getting it cash..
Good point. Sorry to announce to all of those who paid attentions to this thread. Yesterday i decided to call this off for the moment. Reasons are due to so many bros here giving me sensible facts and stories about maintaining the beast is going to cost me alot. Second reason is i will resume for this car hunt when i am much stable.

Thank you everyone who contributed their thoughts and experiences in this thread. Hope this thread can shed some light to others who might have same dilemma like me. Anyway i learnt a lot from this thread. See you guys next time :wavey:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Good point. Sorry to announce to all of those who paid attentions to this thread. Yesterday i decided to call this off for the moment. Reasons are due to so many bros here giving me sensible facts and stories about maintaining the beast is going to cost me alot. Second reason is i will resume for this car hunt when i am much stable.

Thank you everyone who contributed their thoughts and experiences in this thread. Hope this thread can shed some light to others who might have same dilemma like me. Anyway i learnt a lot from this thread. See you guys next time :wavey:
Wise choice :)