WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
U should worry more on the infamous head gasket leak/blown issue.
I heard more of the blown head gasket issues than water leaking into the car.
Just mentioning the possibilities because I've heard old cars with frameless doors tend to have that kind of problem. But that is just a small problem compared to blown head gasket.

Get a good clutch 1 time & settle for all. I'm using Carbonetic twin carbon clutch. Super lasting.
Carbon clutch? That must be quite expensive? Even Ogura Super Single costs like over RM5000.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
haha....if buy ring no more Evo. Faster buy Evo first then later get ring......:driver:
Later after buying Evo, no more money to buy ring and belanja the GF, then GF merajuk says he loves the Evo more than her, then the relationship is gone! Dilema dilema...:biggrin:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
haha....if buy ring no more Evo. Faster buy Evo first then later get ring......:driver:
Hahaha if i have to choose i will definitely choose her. For now we are going steady, so let's see how.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Later after buying Evo, no more money to buy ring and belanja the GF, then GF merajuk says he loves the Evo more than her, then the relationship is gone! Dilema dilema...:biggrin:
Hahaha , every car guy's dilemma, car or girl. However i would always choose her lo, love of my life is much worth it than the car itself. For now we are going steady, no plans for marriage so i can still be a true car guy.

I notice something about EVO, it seems the car is quite tail happy while exiting corner with acceleration. Is it normal or i have to work the ACD to other mode. I'm not really the tail happy type. Wanna tail happy i may just get a RWD.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Here's an idea for the average working Joe. Maintaining an Evo is not cheap. Daily driving it is madness. Which means it's a weekend car.

Just buy a Singapore Evo, and use it for track only on weekends at Sepang or the other tracks. At least that way you buy the car for dirt cheap, and when you burn fuel, you're going flat out, rather than wasting it being stuck at a traffic jam. You get to maximize the usage of it each and every time you drive it.

Frankly I think that's a brilliant idea (cause I'm brilliant). Besides, if you're maximizing the potential of an Evo on public roads, you're a fucking idiot I hope you bang a tree and die.

Ss_Tuner

Oct 20, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
Just buy it and dont mod it.Things will fall apart once u start modding.Nope 4wd car not suitable for daily drive.Fuel guzzler.
Just buy it for weekend car.I'm driving Evo as weekend car and cant afford to drive it daily.
There will be few gremlins that can fall apart such as wear and tear and maintenance.Never cut corners for maintenance.Expect spending 20k per year for maintenance and replacing parts.Double or triple it up if u're modding.

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
I notice something about EVO, it seems the car is quite tail happy while exiting corner with acceleration. Is it normal or i have to work the ACD to other mode. I'm not really the tail happy type. Wanna tail happy i may just get a RWD.
ACD works fine? no 3 lights illuminated on cluster?
the only time i manage to get my car tail happy was a downhill S curve in wet on shit tyres.
i made the rookie mistake (we've all been there) by tapping on my brake pedal whilst attacking the corner throwing the balance of the car out.
managed to keep it together but i grounded the car until Bridgestone had their annual tyre sale on.
normally if it is pouring hard i switch over to Gravel mode (or medium lock).

it is much harder to recover from a loose rear end in a traditional AWD. Be wary of this.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hahahaha, this reminds me of my ex-colleague that wanted to have an Evo. He succeeded owning an Evo IV with his meager salary in the IT business. He said he wouldn't mind renting a room (since he's single, no GF), and had to rent a covered parking spot at the Sri Petaling apartment where he lived (he is super scared with car theft). Since every month was cukup-cukup makan for himself and the petrol hungry Evo (made worst with his itchy right foot), he eventually sold off the Evo even before halfway of the installments....

The real killer was the petrol money.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hahahaha, this reminds me of my ex-colleague that wanted to have an Evo. He succeeded owning an Evo IV with his meager salary in the IT business. He said he wouldn't mind renting a room (since he's single, no GF), and had to rent a covered parking spot at the Sri Petaling apartment where he lived (he is super scared with car theft). Since every month was cukup-cukup makan for himself and the petrol hungry Evo (made worst with his itchy right foot), he eventually sold off the Evo even before halfway of the installments....

Cukup cukup is very dangerous, something out of the ordinary happens kaput loh! Something happens to the car will be left idle at home or workshop......:bawling:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Here's an idea for the average working Joe. Maintaining an Evo is not cheap. Daily driving it is madness. Which means it's a weekend car.

Just buy a Singapore Evo, and use it for track only on weekends at Sepang or the other tracks. At least that way you buy the car for dirt cheap, and when you burn fuel, you're going flat out, rather than wasting it being stuck at a traffic jam. You get to maximize the usage of it each and every time you drive it.

Frankly I think that's a brilliant idea (cause I'm brilliant). Besides, if you're maximizing the potential of an Evo on public roads, you're a fucking idiot I hope you bang a tree and die.
Honestly what's with you grudge with Evo on the public roads. It's not like you know that i am going to street race in it. I'm buy it for the sake of owning it and experience the driving feel. I opened this thread to gather facts on owning the car and possibly use it as daily. So far i think i am going to use it as weekend, just need to get additional parking spot at my apartment when the time really comes.

ACD works fine? no 3 lights illuminated on cluster?
the only time i manage to get my car tail happy was a downhill S curve in wet on shit tyres.
i made the rookie mistake (we've all been there) by tapping on my brake pedal whilst attacking the corner throwing the balance of the car out.
managed to keep it together but i grounded the car until Bridgestone had their annual tyre sale on.
normally if it is pouring hard i switch over to Gravel mode (or medium lock).

it is much harder to recover from a loose rear end in a traditional AWD. Be wary of this.
May be its driving style issue, typically i get on the throttle in mid corner and thats the time i felt the tail starts to swing too much. It felt like i am having a high powered RWD.

LOL i don't know how your colleague managed to live through that, but for me i will consider all the facts first before really committing to it. Right now i have a career opportunity which i can raise my income to another 1k. I haven't heard any offer yet but let's see how ...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Honestly what's with you grudge with Evo on the public roads. It's not like you know that i am going to street race in it. I'm buy it for the sake of owning it and experience the driving feel. I opened this thread to gather facts on owning the car and possibly use it as daily. So far i think i am going to use it as weekend, just need to get additional parking spot at my apartment when the time really comes.
Don't take Ixeo so seriously. He is usually like that in zth. He means no harm. Cheers.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Don't mind Ixeo. He's just critical like that and usually unfiltered. He's otherwise quite harmless so don't give him too much concern otherwise you'll blow a blood clot.

The unfortunate thing is a lot of Evo owners take videos of themselves and their shenanigans on the streets, so just don't be one of them I guess.

Anyway, are you proceeding with the Evo purchase or not? so far all the Evo owners who have spoken up here have said it's a bitch to look after and own.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hahaha , every car guy's dilemma, car or girl. However i would always choose her lo, love of my life is much worth it than the car itself. For now we are going steady, no plans for marriage so i can still be a true car guy.

Evo has more tendency to slide the tail out but that's how it's setup, sharp handling with the AYC playing a big role in enabling the driver to still stay on the gas but the car will power out the corners fast. If you don't prefer that then actually the WRX should be a more suitable as that car is more understeering.

I'm actually considering this option too! An Evo IX scrap car from SG is only like 20k which is cheaper than depreciation of buying a road legal Evo or any other cars!

Don't mind Ixeo. He's just critical like that and usually unfiltered. He's otherwise quite harmless so don't give him too much concern otherwise you'll blow a blood clot.

The unfortunate thing is a lot of Evo owners take videos of themselves and their shenanigans on the streets, so just don't be one of them I guess.

Anyway, are you proceeding with the Evo purchase or not? so far all the Evo owners who have spoken up here have said it's a bitch to look after and own.
Hahaha it's like dating a very pretty hot girl who's awesome in bed but then need to spend a lot of money maintaining her figure and looks etc2. and she'd also bitch a lot if you don't follow what she wants! :biggrin:

And yeah, Ixeo is like that, those who has been here long enough know that's just his style but a lot of what he said actually makes sense. :biggrin:

Rahman77R

Known Member
Oct 16, 2011
Petaling Jaya
What about Evo 4 till Evo 6.5? Haven't seen those for quite some time. I still find the Evo 6.5 looks more aggressive than Evo 7 - Evo 10 in my personal opinion. Remembered last time when my friend bought a Marlboro red Evo 6.5 and it was nice to drive daily since it's stock standard.