WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Looks like only the front bumper had been changed to Evo IX bumper. Rear bumper, rims and rear lamps are still from Evo VIII GSR/RS. The gear knob looks quite terrible too. Prefer the stock one.
To me all those cosmetic changes are not that important coz can easily change to whatever we like later, just use as negotiation points. The most important for me when looking at used cars is the body, has it been in major accidents before. If so, then it's a big no coz it's basically damaged goods already no matter how it's been repaired. Minor accidents I can still close eye.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Very true, chassis most important when getting a used car in fear of previous major accidents to it and etc.

Note: Kinda off topic but this post now is live on FB via ZTH (Can I own a used EVO VIII with my current salary?) :D

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Is it just me or there is really differences between Impreza owners and Evo owners. I have test driven 2 Impreza WRX STI version 8. They are both sweet and very well maintained !! Except for the gear knob part, leather was torn but i can swap that out later. The Impreza was very nice to drive and less stiffer and sharper than an EVO. But can't really love the boxer engine noise, especially the exhaust note. Felt like driving a truck ! But the car is cool and shit, it's really a close call between WRX and EVO ...
I actually love the boxer exhaust note, and I drove the STi before and it had very good low end torque, only thing is I think the boxer engine is higher maintenance especially like timing belt change

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
I actually love the boxer exhaust note, and I drove the STi before and it had very good low end torque, only thing is I think the boxer engine is higher maintenance especially like timing belt change
The boxer exhaust note is one of the reasons what makes Subaru iconic due to its unequal length exhaust set up :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
The boxer exhaust note is one of the reasons what makes Subaru iconic due to its unequal length exhaust set up :biggrin:
if im not wrong, v8 tadak unequal length headers liao, but on the plus side, does have dccd

newneo

Known Member
Dec 30, 2008
www.satrianeor3.wordpress.com
Just buy it.. why? #becauseracecar

fyi on how to calculate max year for car loan.
Manufactured year add 15 minus current year.
example
2003 + 15 =2018 - 2016 = 2 year only can take loan if the car is manufactured in 2003.. (Manufactured year not registered year)

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Is it just me or there is really differences between Impreza owners and Evo owners. I have test driven 2 Impreza WRX STI version 8. They are both sweet and very well maintained !! Except for the gear knob part, leather was torn but i can swap that out later. The Impreza was very nice to drive and less stiffer and sharper than an EVO. But can't really love the boxer engine noise, especially the exhaust note. Felt like driving a truck ! But the car is cool and shit, it's really a close call between WRX and EVO ...
I don't know, I'd think the type of owners should be somewhat similar since both cars are also very similar and direct competition with each other. Maybe it's because there are a lot more WRX available in Malaysia hence easier to find good condition ones. If you go thru car advertising, you can see so many more WRX than Evos of the same generation. The prices are also much cheaper compared to Evos.

Yes, the WRXs are a bit less hardcore than Evos, and interiors seems nicer/more luxurious than the spartan Evos. That's why maybe also people buys the WRX more hence there are more second hand available too in the market. Or maybe those having Evos are more hardcore drivers who abuse the car more also. :biggrin:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yes that's the iconic sound, especially on highway, something with a rumbling exhaust note is closing in. Automatically check my left and give way.

Very true, chassis most important when getting a used car in fear of previous major accidents to it and etc.

Note: Kinda off topic but this post now is live on FB via ZTH (Can I own a used EVO VIII with my current salary?) :D
Walao ... ! This has becoming a eye catching thread ?!

Just buy it.. why? #becauseracecar

fyi on how to calculate max year for car loan.
Manufactured year add 15 minus current year.
example
2003 + 15 =2018 - 2016 = 2 year only can take loan if the car is manufactured in 2003.. (Manufactured year not registered year)
Thats bloody short for loan period based on your facts. I haven't check with bank yet so i will give my input once i got information. I haven't found any available E8 to test drive yesterday. Will wait for on coming saturday.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know, I'd think the type of owners should be somewhat similar since both cars are also very similar and direct competition with each other. Maybe it's because there are a lot more WRX available in Malaysia hence easier to find good condition ones. If you go thru car advertising, you can see so many more WRX than Evos of the same generation. The prices are also much cheaper compared to Evos.

Yes, the WRXs are a bit less hardcore than Evos, and interiors seems nicer/more luxurious than the spartan Evos. That's why maybe also people buys the WRX more hence there are more second hand available too in the market. Or maybe those having Evos are more hardcore drivers who abuse the car more also. :biggrin:
But i don't see many WRXs on the road than Evo ? I can see like 3 Evos in a month but no WRX for like few months. I travel many places in Klang Valley to work on occasion. WRX is much more civilised than EVO, to be frank, my GF liked the WRX seatings more than EVO. She likes EVO looks but not the seating. She has headache and buttache after riding with me in an EVO.

Driftvader

Mar 18, 2005
I own a Evo 7 currently bought it 6 years ago, the money i spend to maintain it almost cost me 30k, not include the regular service.
These car all is more than 10 years above, it is the wear and tear part that cost the most.
It is better you have enough spare money to stand by, because you never know when the parts is fail and cost the car break down.
Now i only drive it 3 times a week, not dare to travel long distance with it.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
But i don't see many WRXs on the road than Evo ? I can see like 3 Evos in a month but no WRX for like few months. I travel many places in Klang Valley to work on occasion. WRX is much more civilised than EVO, to be frank, my GF liked the WRX seatings more than EVO. She likes EVO looks but not the seating. She has headache and buttache after riding with me in an EVO.
Hmm for me I see WRXs a lot more often than Evos on the road. You just search in mudah.my now, if you search "Impreza" under Subaru then there'll be 5 pages of advertising all selling real WRXs, over 170 cars now! However if you search "Evo" under Mitsubishi, then you'd only get 3 pages or 85 cars and actually only a handful of those are real Evos and the rest are either converted Lancers, or just other Mitsubishi with Evo accessories/parts, or just totally different cars but somehow with an "Evo" in the name as well like the Triton EVO! :biggrin: That shows how the Evo is much more rare than WRX in Malaysia, probably because the WRX is more civilized/less hardcore like you said. See now your GF already got aches after just a quick test drive of some Evos, do you think she would not complain later if you really go ahead with it? Probably many other guys also face similar situations and hence settled for the WRX rather than have their GFs nagging later! :biggrin:

Last edited:

savahn

Known Member
Feb 16, 2007
Just to add on:

6. Insurance. I'm not sure if 90K is the standard price for an Evo 8. I'm looking at 2005 Evo 8s going at 95K to 105K. Using the upper range:

Vehicle Price : 105,000
Downpay: 50,000
Interest: 5%
Pay Period: 7 Years
Monthly Installment = 884

Vehicle Price: 105,000
Coverage: Comprehensive
Engine CC: 1.6 - 2.2
NCD: 0%
Annual Premium = MYR 3,044

*To add on: 4G63T engines... you'll get 6KM per Litre the moment you get stuck in a little traffic.

7. GPS Tracking / Anti-Theft Device: I STRONGLY suggest you get one of these. The Captor system goes up to MYR 2,500. Simpler systems are available. Additionally, if you build close relationships in the community as you can get help tracking down the car.

YOU MUST get a tracking device. The reason being LanEvos are thief magnets.