WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i have always wanted to own an evo VII but today still don't enough cash,

when I buy my cars, I don't tell any of my family members, when I bought my sgti, I told my parents Im buying a 1.3,
before I bought my perdana I told my wife im getting a saga, few years later told my wife im buying a camry but I ended up with a beemer.

if I do tell them the actual car im buying, they wont agree....they will say car too old, more than 10 years, maintenance high, petrol consumption high etc...
u get what I mean.

but its your dream car, by all means go for it if you have been dreaming for it a long time, u just gotta work a lil harder when the modding bug or repair list
hits you.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Was that me?? :rofl: Almost same story but slight differences in the details leh. My wife found out coz me and my boys often race in Gran Turismo using the Evo! Then when we went to check out one, she noticed it and vetoed it once she heard the loud exhaust and found out the price vs age of the car! :banghead:
I also thought that story was you......lol:driver:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

when I buy my cars, I don't tell any of my family members, when I bought my sgti, I told my parents Im buying a 1.3,
before I bought my perdana I told my wife im getting a saga, few years later told my wife im buying a camry but I ended up with a beemer.

if I do tell them the actual car im buying, they wont agree....they will say car too old, more than 10 years, maintenance high, petrol consumption high etc...
u get what I mean.

but its your dream car, by all means go for it if you have been dreaming for it a long time, u just gotta work a lil harder when the modding bug or repair list
hits you.
Sometimes the second party will think more rational than petrol heads like us. All they see car is something that will be changed when the times up and no value of keeping it. For us, we treat cars like our partner, thats why we always have the ultimate dream rate when people view it as junk.

I would say eff'em , its my car its my choice.:biggrin:

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Just forget about the E8 its an old car mostly you end up a modded/demoded car.
Will give u lot of unexpected comings. RM4K really squeeze your neck unless you are kamikaze type.
This car really problematic unless u really know the car condition and fully build by yourself.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Will give u lot of unexpected comings. RM4K really squeeze your neck unless you are kamikaze type.
This car really problematic unless u really know the car condition and fully build by yourself.
From knowing my buddy Pangyau and seeing his passion in building and maintaining his Evo 8 MR, I will advise you to forget it. Hardly any performance car can come close to the Evo,but with great power, comes great responsibility.

The maintainance over 5 years can probably buy you a new cheap local car. The petrol will be twice that of a regular sedan. And the modifications, which is a blatant lie that we all tell ourselves we will not do can cost you another Evo.

With 5k income, already have a car, not yet have a property and having a gf (from KL).... Come one bro... Let's be financially wise. Suppress the lust and do the rational thing. Some more living cost nowadays are disproportionate and only expected to be worse. Unless you have an Arab friend who is going donation some money to you, better to put this aside first.

But my 2 cents bro to bro talk... Can ask my buddy Pangyau here. I would say he has the best reliability and touge setup Evo around.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is why I kept my VR standard with no further mod and since I transplanted and maintained it, so still keeping it since under my hand......lol:biggrin:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
From knowing my buddy Pangyau and seeing his passion in building and maintaining his Evo 8 MR, I will advise you to forget it. Hardly any performance car can come close to the Evo,but with great power, comes great responsibility.

The maintainance over 5 years can probably buy you a new cheap local car. The petrol will be twice that of a regular sedan. And the modifications, which is a blatant lie that we all tell ourselves we will not do can cost you another Evo.

With 5k income, already have a car, not yet have a property and having a gf (from KL).... Come one bro... Let's be financially wise. Suppress the lust and do the rational thing. Some more living cost nowadays are disproportionate and only expected to be worse. Unless you have an Arab friend who is going donation some money to you, better to put this aside first.

But my 2 cents bro to bro talk... Can ask my buddy Pangyau here. I would say he has the best reliability and touge setup Evo around.
Liked your advise. I haven't own one so won't know until i feel it at my neck. Anyway wanted to own one is one thing, the luck and chances of finding one i wan is another thing. So if the E8 is not available anytime from now, i will stop the idea and plan for a house/condo. Like you said, let's be rational. I went to check an E8 the other day at Klang, Dandelion yellow, boy oh boy it was badly maintained. Exit from the dealer i heard cracking noise on the top suspension hat. No doubt the engine power and handling is intoxicating, but for that condition, i can only drive for a good 15 minutes until i return to the dealer. Furthermore i think the stock absorber was blown too. Understeer when i took a quick long turn going towards Setia Alam highway.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hi there, thanks for your advise. I am very sure you speak from your experience. In Klang there are 3 E8s i have test driven and all of them felt horrible. Lots of weird noises from the suspension, literally all three of them ! One of them has blown shocks and almost drifted me into the walls at highway. However i was glad that the ACD still works and drag my ass back on the road.

Test driving really tells thousand stories ! I wonder how were the previous owners before these babies are sold :mad: screwed them up like that.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006

u get what I mean.

hits you.
Cant say anything but gave you a like...
Totally agree with you man! me also faced such things d...:bawling:

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
... Like you said, let's be rational. I went to check an E8 the other day at Klang, Dandelion yellow, boy oh boy it was badly maintained. Exit from the dealer i heard cracking noise on the top suspension hat. No doubt the engine power and handling is intoxicating, but for that condition, i can only drive for a good 15 minutes until i return to the dealer. Furthermore i think the stock absorber was blown too. Understeer when i took a quick long turn going towards Setia Alam highway.
Hmm this yellow one that already face lifted to E9 right?
http://www.motortrader.com.my/usedcar/detail/2003_MITSUBISHI_EVO__8_LANCER/15092900104.html

They have been trying to sell this for more than a year!

Hi there, thanks for your advise. I am very sure you speak from your experience. In Klang there are 3 E8s i have test driven and all of them felt horrible. Lots of weird noises from the suspension, literally all three of them ! One of them has blown shocks and almost drifted me into the walls at highway. However i was glad that the ACD still works and drag my ass back on the road.

Test driving really tells thousand stories ! I wonder how were the previous owners before these babies are sold :mad: screwed them up like that.
Bro, these are >10yrs old performance cars, of course they are very much used and abused la! Many of them also already got into accidents as well. If you want to buy these things, you need to already set your mind to rebuild them back to good condition, not just buy and drive!
The other day I also went out to check a 2004 VIII MR and unfortunately also already in very bad condition with all kinds of problems and major accidents before. What a pity...

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hmm this yellow one that already face lifted to E9 right?
http://www.motortrader.com.my/usedcar/detail/2003_MITSUBISHI_EVO__8_LANCER/15092900104.html

They have been trying to sell this for more than a year!

Bro, these are >10yrs old performance cars, of course they are very much used and abused la! Many of them also already got into accidents as well. If you want to buy these things, you need to already set your mind to rebuild them back to good condition, not just buy and drive!
The other day I also went out to check a 2004 VIII MR and unfortunately also already in very bad condition with all kinds of problems and major accidents before. What a pity...
Is it just me or there is really differences between Impreza owners and Evo owners. I have test driven 2 Impreza WRX STI version 8. They are both sweet and very well maintained !! Except for the gear knob part, leather was torn but i can swap that out later. The Impreza was very nice to drive and less stiffer and sharper than an EVO. But can't really love the boxer engine noise, especially the exhaust note. Felt like driving a truck ! But the car is cool and shit, it's really a close call between WRX and EVO ...