• Camry 2G

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teana 2.5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

johnnyW

Nov 3, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I am going to get a new car soon. I narrowed down to Teana and Camry. I am worried especially about the after sales service problems etc. I am avoiding Mazda 6 because of some friends complaints regarding Bermaz tardiness etc. I also do not like the Honda Accord.
I think these cars suck when doing corners after driving my mother's BMW 320 but I can't afford a BMW now.
I need a reliable car for work mainly to go to Singapore a lot.
Which would be a better buy? Nissan Teana 2.5 and Toyota Camry 2 G ?:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Really depends on what it is you want from the car. Between the 2, both in the same segment but both cars are very different.

Teana wins in space and smooth CVT GB. But Camry wins in resale and generally the looks. And don't compare the 2.5 with the 2.0 la, power wise it's a big difference between the two.

If you're a family man with 2 young kids and want to ferry them around - Teana.
If you're a young executive looking to impress customers and girls, Camry.

Also, between the 2 for high way cruising, the Teana is better. But depending on the year - if you're buying new then nothing to worry about. If it's the older generation 2nd hand one - get a ATF cooler installed.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I am going to get a new car soon. I narrowed down to Teana and Camry. I am worried especially about the after sales service problems etc. I am avoiding Mazda 6 because of some friends complaints regarding Bermaz tardiness etc. I also do not like the Honda Accord.
I think these cars suck when doing corners after driving my mother's BMW 320 but I can't afford a BMW now.
I need a reliable car for work mainly to go to Singapore a lot.
Which would be a better buy? Nissan Teana 2.5 and Toyota Camry 2 G ?:driver:
IMHO don't buy a car this size (d-segment) with just puny little 2.0 NA engines, it's hopeless! Only in Malaysia this kind of combo can sell. So if just based on your question, I would choose the Teana 2.5, otherwise get the Camry 2.5 Hybrid, surely not the Camry 2.0 or any other 2.0 D-segments.
Why don't you like the Accord btw? IMHO the exterior looks the best among the current D segment and one of the cheaper ones also if I'm not mistaken.

Btw this is speaking about new cars. If buying used/recon one, I can suggest another car better than any of those in terms of handling and performance.

johnnyW

Nov 3, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks but I am simply aiming for a new reliable quiet workhorse with safety. (not recond)
There will be 3 more adults sometimes in the car with me. Two of them are elderly. Some of the roads I have to go have quite a lot of potholes!
What about Tan Chong 's service centre and UMW service reputation? Which is better?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks but I am simply aiming for a new reliable quiet workhorse with safety. (not recond)
There will be 3 more adults sometimes in the car with me. Two of them are elderly. Some of the roads I have to go have quite a lot of potholes!
What about Tan Chong 's service centre and UMW service reputation? Which is better?
So far I have no issues with Tan Chong SC but I've only been to 1 SC in Chan Sow Lin for the last 3 yrs. UMW I don't know coz never had a new Toyota before in Malaysia! :biggrin: Other members surely can give better input on UMW. However I think for your case which SC is closer/more available in your area? That might be a good consideration to choose.

johnnyW

Nov 3, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I am a bit worried about the after sales warranty claims and if other people have problems recurring because of poor diagnosis or incompetent mechanics at their centers. For this reason alone, I also avoided Vw Passat.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you're going to ferry elderly folks around the Teana for the win. They'll like the rear legroom.

For after sales service, both TC and UMW are more or less the same. Some have bad reputation (certain centers) and there are others that work quite well. But like what 6uest said - it's probably easy to find out which one has the nearest (large) service center nearest to you then go from there. Don't go to those small service centers, the big ones generally have better rapport.

Since you're buying new, I'd suggest you consider either the Camry Hybrid or the Teana. Both are quite good to drive around but Teana is more superior in space. Toyota has better resale.

Problems wise, the Teana is the 3rd or 4th generation one now, so it has considerably less problems compared to the older generation ones. The latest one has a CVT gearbox cooler, larger calipers and generally the engine is bulletproof for the average driver. I personally drive a Nissan Sylphy and problems wise hasn't been much except for the usual wear and tear. Invest in good oils (or whatever the center gives) and invest in good brake pads and the car's a good drive around town. Quiet engine, quiet gearbox and it has the Nissan quality.

Toyota Camry on the other hand is more of a new model, new interior, new engine, everything new. Hybrid one even more so. However it's a Toyota so you'll probably won't have any issues with reliability except for the recent recall on the power windows.

Both cars are generally quite good. Camry Hybrid probably will have better fuel consumption around town driving but highway I suspect the Teana will be better.

One is new tech and the other is been-there-done-that tech.

Both are priced around the same. There is one disadvantage the Toyota has over the Teana - Camrys are hot theft material. Invest in a good aftermarket alarm if you go for a Camry.

johnnyW

Nov 3, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I just noticed there are 3 teana variants of which 2 are on promotion prices. One of the 2 liter and the others are 2.5 with one with v6 and 4 cylinder. How about Peugeot 508? is their after sales the same like VW Malaysia?

Attachments

Last edited:

johnnyW

Nov 3, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
These cars are on promotions now. I just got a call from the salesmen for a slightly better deal. Is the after sales service with Peugeot or VW really bad? Can others here share their experience please?

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't know about the newer cars, but I have friends who've owned the 308 and 208, have regretted ever since they bought the car. The service center never has parts and the cars frequently break down.

Having said that I've heard good things about the 408 and 508. So I don't know. It's a 50-50 gamble with Peugeot. Also since it's a conti expect conti maintenance prices.

VW Passat hasn't had any of the usual VW problems from what I read. Their service isn't as bad as you make it out to be, just that the unfortunate event of the mechatronic unit breaking down often on the Polo, Golf and Jetta models has piled up their cars-for-repair at their workshops. Not saying the Passat is a bad car, but I'd avoid VW purely because they still have a backlog that they haven't quite cleared yet I guess. Again, conti car conti prices.

The Teana has 2.5 and the 3.0 v6 I think. Both awesome cruising machines but expect the v6 to be thirsty when driving within the city. But on the highways the v6 will get you a lot of speeding summons. :biggrin: Bloody nice car.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Conti new cars are quite okay, most start to have problems after say 2 years or can say not as reliable on long term.....

johnnyW

Nov 3, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
One of my senior colleague just sent her company car to Glenmarie Vw for jerking problems. Its only 14 months old.

Anyway, I liked the Teana and also Camry. Camry had more headroom at the back seat. I found Teana roof for the back seat area to be curving slightly low forcing people taller than 5ft 9 ins to sit low and about 6 ins away from the window because of the roof sides shape. The salesgirl said it is because of the side airbags.
I slightly prefer the softness of the Teana but when I went over some potholed road, I feel the Camry handled better.

Yesterday I was told to consider a used/demo BMW instead if i am still not decided. But I don't think I can get any car the sized of Teana/Camry for my budget. Sigh

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you go the Camry route, be sure to save some of that budget for a good security system. Aftermarket alarm, aftermarket anti-hijack, aftermarket GPS tracker, aftermarket door pick blocking plates, aftermarket fuel cut device, aftermarket backup battery for the aftermarket system, aftermarket security window tint and aftermarket steering column / pedal lock.

Peace of mind.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Always a hard decision. One has handling, one have comfort, Contis nice to drive but no second value. Every car have pros and cons, just test drive and see which you like the most.....:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

why my car in low around 1000rpm not stable and the engine "semput",and at high rpm won't happen like this.i have change plug,but just can hold 2 months only after that start back again,

anyone can help?TQ
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience