Tonnka rear billet lower control arms.. need help

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Got try to lube up the silicone there where the bolts are inserted?

BlueSamurai

Known Member
Jun 21, 2006
Ok, this is stupid.

the reason the arms look weird, is becoz BOTH of them, are either left or right arms. I have no bloody idea how my car has been running same arms on both sides all these years, and nobody, nobody noticed until this bushing thing came about. So the bushings were pressed in properly (my apologies).

I mean, if you line them up side by side, they are supposed to look symmetrical, but they don't, so this means that both left and right arms are not identitical, dun share the part number. I mean, some cars have identical L & R arms, not this one.

As you guys know, i have been having some problems with the Tonnka billet arms with a whole load of metallic clinging, and/or tick tocking noises. I do love the arms but this won't do. I have been told shit that "oh old car like that one la" and "oh now yr rear so stiff, so now all the weaker points start to flex" "aiya old car got sound here and there inevitable"

Lj lo. where got such thing one. I am not a picky nor unreasonable person. I can understand operating noise, but if there are metallic noises, its definitely a no no. So in my quest to isolate the noise, thats when i had my original rear arms pressed in with SuperPro bushings, and all these drama got unfolded.

Now how did i end up with this SuperPro bushings? Because when i wanted to get the Tonnka arms, they were out of stock and not in production. So i bought and had the bushings shipped to me. Then not long after, i was contacted and informed that they were in stock again. Knn. So ok, buy.

Anyway, so i was back to the workshop on monday, i did a quick search and my fears were confirmed. Part numbers for rear arms are not the same, so though physically i cannot see for real, I now know that L & R arms are different. Funny enough, there is no L & R markings on both of these arms of mine, so i cannot assert whether they are left or right. But by eyeballing when the tech tried to install them back on my car, the right side one doesnt seem to line and and he seemed like he needed to force in to mount wif the knuckle.

Anyway i had them installed. i mean if the car ran these arms for 4 yrs, then whats an hour more. Guess what. Noise gone. So i drove to a scrap yard, managed to get a pair of CB3A arms (they have L & R marking, zzzz) , drove back to workshop disassembled everything, pressed out the SuperPro bushes and pressed them into these new arms.

So, end result, problem solved.

Btw is anyone running Evo3 rear lower arms on their cars? i just realised that i could have gotten Evo3 arms instead of the CB3A ones. So wondering if they are a good upgrade.

Cheers.

BlueSamurai

Known Member
Jun 21, 2006
Why can't you go back to Tonkka and f*ck them upside down?
Because these are the same production arms used in other Protons and nobody has experienced issues, only me. I am driving a CJ4A Mirage but then again, all share rear suspension components.

Anyway they have been very kind enough to take a look at this issue, and compare it with my original arms. So all is good!

As much as i am abit irritated, I think we should all resolve our problems amicably. no need for f*cking la. Not my style...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifu2 sekalian,
recently notice there's small rust underside of the front hood.
11 years old car so is expected but don't wanna let it go untreated.
any proper guide to fix it?
google it and kinda vague also just sand and prime it.
but also see a lot troublesome technique using heavy tools.
please help. :adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience