What happened to our hobby??

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
When we were a lot younger, we spend endless hours, spending effort to acquire the best thing we think was cool at that time. Some collect action figures, some assemble model kits, some make gadgets, DIY projects, etc. The tamer and safer hobby would be collect stamps. haha...

Somehow, these hobbies just fade and die away when we go older. Maybe no time, maybe no money or just simply having other responsibilities and parenting.

I used to collect die-cast cars (last time counted 126 cars) , but decided to give them away....
I have regretted it a bit ever since, but I think I want to start again...
I guess the hobby in us could never die?

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
I guess in-essence, some/most of us are still keep to our hobby of cars, just that we moved from toy cars to real cars.

Used to play with toy cars when I was a child, during my teens I played with 3D cars (design for game modding), and now that I earn my own living, play with real cars (damn its 6373892% more expensive than toys lol). I've thought about starting to buy diecast/model cars again but I never did cuz I rather spend it on my real car =P

One thing I noticed is that, kids these days are more into mobile games than actual physical toys.. everytime I bring my kids to the toys section or even ToysRus, its almost always/mostly empty...oh well...

Like the saying goes, boys never grow up, just our toys get bigger (and more expensive).

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
used to collect hotwheels & die casts model cars, as my son grew older, he opened all my hotwheels collection wrapping,
some of them are rare ones....played with my die casts....had to hide some of my favorite ones but he managed to find my stash, btw he is only 4yrs old.

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
When we were a lot younger, we spend endless hours, spending effort to acquire the best thing we think was cool at that time. Some collect action figures, some assemble model kits, some make gadgets, DIY projects, etc. The tamer and safer hobby would be collect stamps. haha...

Somehow, these hobbies just fade and die away when we go older. Maybe no time, maybe no money or just simply having other responsibilities and parenting.

I used to collect die-cast cars (last time counted 126 cars) , but decided to give them away....
Still collecting action figures, mini die cast cars here! :biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Die-cast car collection never ceased, never cease to amaze me. The toy maker always have the some new model that tease us and make us couple of ringgit poorer with every purchase of the die cast.

We tempted to buy more becoz of the special colour, special edition, the ones that has more details, the one that has openable doors, bigger (more real) tyres, more chrome, hero car, etc.

I aint Sultan of Brunei......but I have my own fleet of (scale) cars. I buy die cast for collection and sometimes to reward myself.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Fuh! gave away? Bro. SF and Issuzark will love to get some.....hhahahhahah:biggrin:

The era now is more cars than kids. My era was one car and 7 kids, so did not have the luxury for much hobby that needed $$$. Collecting stamps was one of them, mostly free. First day covers also not much as need $$$.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well I don't have hobby of collecting specific things in abundant. During school times I just buy a few 1:18 scale model cars but not so many also coz they're not that cheap. Now I don't do that anymore coz already not interested. I'd rather spend my money on my cars, and even so I don't want to spend too much also coz don't have much money anyway.

Another hobby is play Gran Turismo which I still do but at a much less frequency coz not as much time now. The good thing is now I can play/race against my boys instead of playing alone. Haven't even played the latest version yet (GT6) coz need to upgrade my machine first. Maybe will do it this weekend.

Another hobby is listening to heavy metal music. Now of course I still do but mostly during driving, not like last time whereby after school I can spend a few hours just sitting to listen to this music.

When I was around primary school/junior high, I used to read kids novel also and always bought many of those, but of course not anymore as they don't interest me anymore once I reach high school & college.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
My hobby...playing basketball.. When i was young I couldnt afford a basketball and play using others. Now can afford the ball but still feel that its god damn expensive. RM150 for a ball :banghead:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My hobby...playing basketball.. When i was young I couldnt afford a basketball and play using others. Now can afford the ball but still feel that its god damn expensive. RM150 for a ball :banghead:
RM150 for the ball which practically last forever is cheap already. Try badminton, one dozen shuttles is like RM70 and one game minimum use 2. If terror smasher may need 4, is even more expensive.......hahahhahaha:biggrin:

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
RM150 for the ball which practically last forever is cheap already. Try badminton, one dozen shuttles is like RM70 and one game minimum use 2. If terror smasher may need 4, is even more expensive.......hahahhahaha:biggrin:
Last forever? I don't think so at all. Lol. Badminton shuttles if that kind of price is competition grade?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I used to be a gamer. Car hobby didn't pickup until about 10 years ago waaaaaay after school. Gaming wise nothing to collect. Hated toys like the matchbox cars. Never understood why people would pay so much for a car that doesn't run by itself.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I only started to get addicted to cars at the age of around 18-19years old. All the while my hobby that time was more on basketball, snooker and Video Games. Video Games is on top of the list. Not sure how or when I started to get attracted to cars. I think NFS2 is the one to blame. Then I started to see the real car that was in that game which was the Celica GTS. That was the 1st car I fell in love with.

But I cant remember how the Die-Cast Cars collection hobby started. Not quite sure myself.
To ask me to give away, I think I won't be able to do so. Which is why like the Shell Collection of cars, I usually get 2 sets. So if really need to, I could just let it go by selling one and keep one set.

Till date I still love games actually. Some things that we always wanted to do, we cant do in reality or be that particular character in reality. But in games, is just give u the thrill and fun of being able to do what u cant do in reality. So more like a stress release to me.

Like I can't be a professional Footballer, so I can still use my favourite footballer to play football. (I sucks at football though) hahahaha!

So my hobby did not die, just some collection, putting some cash aside for it. Die cast is not a cheap hobby. And like what excel said, some cash are already usually spent on our real cars. hehehe!

So much to do, just pocket not deep enough. If money is no problem, hobbies surely will not die or slow down.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Was quite the basketballer while in high school. issuzark is right, those balls do not last forever, not even close. A few months of play and they'll be bald as Harith Iskandar, haha.... Same goes for the shoes as well and those are expensive as hell.

As for shuttlecocks, I'm not really a serious badminton player so usually they are used until they are completely incapable of straight flight.

Nowadays, more into gaming, FIFA usually, with a bit of Football Manager, GT6 and Battlefield. Seriously considering going into model kits though.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ever wondered where retired race cars go? Nowhere actually, well some are sold and others are taken apart for show but the rest are tucked away neatly and wrapped up in a humidity controlled room. These rooms are off limits to regular people like you and I. But Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are not regular people and the Mclaren duo got the rare opportunity to visit Mclaren's crypt, a placed where they...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience