RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
gotta agree about this article being rubbish....whoever the writer is.... should stop writing... im sorry to be harsh... but it really is rubbish

higher capacity requires higher ron? huh?

"Technically, putting RON97 fuel into your car does not give you more mileages than RON95 fuel if your car does not required RON 97 fuel."

pls la... even my ex-kelisa 1.0 auto gets about 50km more per full tank on RON97 vs RON95...i did this test multiple times with that car... all tests were consistent with similar driving conditions, driving routes and driving styles. hell when my wife drives the car she gets even more mileage.

really feel like going to the source and telling them that its rubbish

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
pls la... even my ex-kelisa 1.0 auto gets about 50km more per full tank on RON97 vs RON95...i did this test multiple times with that car... all tests were consistent with similar driving conditions, driving routes and driving styles. hell when my wife drives the car she gets even more mileage.
Really? My 2 x myvi, Wira, Innova and Sylphy all no difference in mileage. Wira had difference in power je but only because of the compression settings.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
gotta agree about this article being rubbish....whoever the writer is.... should stop writing... im sorry to be harsh... but it really is rubbish

higher capacity requires higher ron? huh?

"Technically, putting RON97 fuel into your car does not give you more mileages than RON95 fuel if your car does not required RON 97 fuel."

really feel like going to the source and telling them that its rubbish
This is pretty interesting, given than there's no property in Ron97 that would contribute more mileage than Ron95.

How about fuel station? Did you refuel both Ron 95 and Ron 97 at the same fuel station? Did you use the same brand?

Don't mind me asking, just curious is all.

And yes, Skyactive engines are 'different' mainly because it has direct injection, giving the electronics more control on the engine's combustion and thus eliminating knocking.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Really? My 2 x myvi, Wira, Innova and Sylphy all no difference in mileage. Wira had difference in power je but only because of the compression settings.
yes... really... i also felt a difference in power or throttle response.. but didnt mention it coz dun wan ppl think its placebo :P...no dyno tests though...but fifth gear did a test on different fuels before.

This is pretty interesting, given than there's no property in Ron97 that would contribute more mileage than Ron95.

How about fuel station? Did you refuel both Ron 95 and Ron 97 at the same fuel station? Did you use the same brand?

Don't mind me asking, just curious is all.
actually yes... the same fuel station everytime... petronas near my in-law's house...at the time still dating n not married yet.. so i had to drive there alot...... for both RON95 and RON97.

i'd have to assume that the RON97 gives better combustion and abit more power that the engine requires less effort to move the car hence needing lesser fuel..

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Because direct injection.
Not only because direct injection. The length of the extractor aka exhaust manifold is longer,significantly reduced the exhaust temperature from the engine.

Any sifu here got better understanding on skyactiv engine structure please correct me and share your knowledge.

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
True fact is the whole article is a myth & the only way to gain more mileage not by changing the RON number but to change the driving style :listen:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
my satria only require minimum ron95 hence no gain worth the money of more expensive fuel....

but...

my boosted other ride....designed to run on ron98+ fuel in the first place...and had to detuned it with lower static compression...then only it would behave quite ok on RON95 fuel.....but...even with the mechanical detune done....i still found out that running RON97 (the highest octane fuel available here) still giving me good benefits......

the differences according to my butt and ears tell me:

1- i no longer need richer fuel mixture (i ran adjustable fuel regulator...used to run with higher base pressure...now can return to stock standard fuel pressure)

2- better low rpm torque especially town driving/stop n go situation/overtaking situation

3- better mileage since i no longer needed to downshift whenever i need to overtake peopel (with ron95 the engine just simply knocking if i didnt downshift to overtake/accelerate)...

4- better mileage since i can retain the same cruising speed with less throttle position.... (in fact i can retain higher cruising speed with same throttle position and save my journey time) :driver: :rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Last week, I pumped RON97 for the first time since I got my 4G15 Wira. So far, I din't see much difference in mileage yet. Power remains roughly the same. One thing that I felt is different is when I am driving at lower rpm in higher gear, let's say like maybe under 20kmh in 3rd gear after crossing a speed bump, the car's engine vibration seems to be lesser compared to the time when I am using RON95. Previously if I did the same thing, the car will vibrate and shake more violently as if the engine will stall.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Haha! Thanks for the feedback on the article but article not done by me. Glad that lots of comments and feedbacks about the article which clears things up.

I only realised one thing from the article and like what vr2turbo said. Cars that do not require RON97, and only RON 95, wont have too much difference after pumping.

For my Kancil especially. Not much difference. For Kelisa wise, feels smoother on RON97.

Both cars clock about the same mileage.

Have yet to test on my last car. But if due to previous experience. I do get smoother and more responsive drive with RON97 vs RON95.

Anyway, if is true that if your car dont need RON97 then don't pump RON97, isnt it better to just stick to RON95 then? Since is more than sufficient to get the car running.

Just pumped RON95 in Kancil yesterday since RON97 Petron says "Maaf Rosak Kerana Harga RON97 terlalu Rendah"

Frankly, it feels almost the same as RON97. No power loss or whatsoever. Mileage is same. In fact, I did get 260KM mileage on RON95.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Haha! Thanks for the feedback on the article but article not done by me. Glad that lots of comments and feedbacks about the article which clears things up.

I only realised one thing from the article and like what vr2turbo said. Cars that do not require RON97, and only RON 95, wont have too much difference after pumping.

For my Kancil especially. Not much difference. For Kelisa wise, feels smoother on RON97.

Both cars clock about the same mileage.

Have yet to test on my last car. But if due to previous experience. I do get smoother and more responsive drive with RON97 vs RON95.

Anyway, if is true that if your car dont need RON97 then don't pump RON97, isnt it better to just stick to RON95 then? Since is more than sufficient to get the car running.

Just pumped RON95 in Kancil yesterday since RON97 Petron says "Maaf Rosak Kerana Harga RON97 terlalu Rendah"

Frankly, it feels almost the same as RON97. No power loss or whatsoever. Mileage is same. In fact, I did get 260KM mileage on RON95.
Your Kancil on carb isn't it? I thought that some cars with fuel injection will adjust air fuel ratio accordingly to what type of fuel you pump. That's why I think that carburetors won't make much difference when using different RON.

Got such thing as rosak kerana harga terlalu rendah? :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
LOL, why a girl pic at the end of your post?

BTW, you din't mention anything about compression ratio at all. High compression engines requires higher octane rating fuel to prevent knocking.
Your Kancil on carb isn't it? I thought that some cars with fuel injection will adjust air fuel ratio accordingly to what type of fuel you pump. That's why I think that carburetors won't make much difference when using different RON.

Got such thing as rosak kerana harga terlalu rendah? :rofl:
Haha! Ya I know, that's why i call it testing and see on kancil since only 20 sens difference :rofl:
Now back to RON95 and will be test Kelisa back on RON95 and see what's the difference.

At least now going back outstation no longer that costly haha!

No such thing la, cuz of fuel price drop, COINCIDENTALLY Some petrol stations stop selling RON97.
Then cars that needed RON97 are gonna have problems la...like knocking and etcs.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys I'm facing a problem which is my turbo is giving out white smoke after I kill t:rolleyes:he car. When I'm in the jam. Car will getting hotter and hotter until about 100c. Could it be my turbo die?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience